Mint Walnut Cornwall 1s in So. Fl.

Colin

Here is the rough ad I am going to place on eBay, but I thought I would offer them here first:

Classic Klipsch Cornwall 1 pair, mint Walnut

This pair of mint condition 1982 Klipsch Cornwall 1 loudspeakers in Oiled Walnut. They are 21/2-way loudspeakers with 15" woofers and two metal horns - ultra-efficient at 101 dB/w/m! I am probably the second owner (serial numbers 32x57 and 32x58). They stand 3 feet tall, two feet wide, one foot deep and weigh 100 pounds.

Frequency Response +/- 5 dB

38 to 17,000 Hz

Power Handling

3 watts minimum, 100 watts maximum continuous, 750 watts peak

Sound pressure level / Ultra-efficiency

98.5 dB SPL for 1 W at 121.92 cm

101 dB SPL at 1 watt/1 meter

Impedance

4 to 30 ohms, 8 Ohms nominally

Total Modulation Distortion (Max)

at 90 dB SPL at 61 cm (2 ft.)

Amazing low 3.0%

Network

Type B2 600/6000 Hz

These amazingly efficient loudspeakers include the original K-33-E 15" woofer, K-51-V horizontal metal mid-range horn and original horizontal K-77-M metal tweeter horn. Yet, they also have the newer B-2 crossover, so I guess that makes them something like model 1 and 1/3. The Cornwall uses a vented direct radiator for the bass section. The vent is a narrow slot at the foot of the loudspeaker. The K-51-V metal mid-range horn is almost a foot long.

They are Walnut Oil finish (CWO). The sides are in excellent condition. The tops are better than any used loudspeaker I have seen with half the age: only a few barely noticeable scratches. I rub the walnut shanks with simple furniture lemon oil, just like the fine through bred horses they are. When they were up north, they were oiled 3/4 times per year. Down here, they are oiled once per year.

No speaker I have heard in the $15,000 price range has the super-efficiency, huge soundstage, clear mid-range and dynamic range of these classic horn loudspeakers! To spot the Klipsch horns in a crowd of speakers at the retail stores, just play a drum, piano or horn solo at louder than normal volumes: it is live like Memorex.

Email me for a full description.

At the 9:00 on the dial, I get 73 dB (+- 2 dB) at the listening spot with possibly about 1.6 watts. Noontime on the dial is about 91-dB average with about 3.2 watts. Three o'clock with this extrapolation is 101 dB with about 4.9 watts. With the volume twisted far right to 5:00 on the dial, they will put out something like 6 watts, providing an unmusical pain at 110-dB!

Actual in-room frequency response at my listening spot is very flat - within three dB from 50 to 10 kHz, covering the crucial portion of the music range. A good portion of the music is handled by the mid-range horn. This sounds crisp and clear.

The B-2 crossover uses a steep 12 dB per octave slope in lieu of the 6-dB/ octave. The B-2 crossover is known for a bounce in the 6 to 9 kHz range. The bounce gives the horns their renown brightness and makes cymbals come alive. For an excellent review of the Cornwall impedance curves, go to:

http://www.belgaudio.com/kcmap.htm

The Cornwall design is unchanged. Only two tweaks on my models: the metal horns are dampened with a layer of window rope caulk.. The crossover is remounted on thick rubber washers. These tweaks improve the sound, but are easily removed. See http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_117865_1590crx.aspx

The 1950s style horns make great coming at you from the front home theater speakers. Modern 6 speaker systems are like small Mopeds compared to the Harley sized Klipsch horns. With the stereo output, from the TV or VCR to the Auxiliary input on the pre-amp/receiver, big old Klipsch capture the emotion and startling sonic tricks that modern movies covey. They reproduce audio and video music better than any smattering of Moped speakers around the room, for about the same price.

An active and informative Forum for Klipsch horns, the likes of which I have never seen for any other speaker manufacturer (send me the link if you know of one), supports the big old horns. Go to Planet Klipsch.com.

There is a Klipsch label on the back of the right loudspeaker. It says: Type; CWO, Serial; 32x958 (the serial numbers are etched into the top rear of each loudspeaker), Inspected; Teri Glass (signature), Tested; C (signature). Screw type loudspeaker connections. Black clothe grilles with small copper Klipsch nameplate on the left loudspeaker (I have the right plate). Top and sides in excellent condition. Left has no label. There is a riser base on each loudspeaker. The right side of the left riser has a faded part and there is a small chip at the corner foot. Otherwise, all edges are in very good condition, no nicks or bruises.

The pictures are not mine, but this is what they look like. Pictures are coming when the computer with the USB port gets up and running (this weekend?)

I will ship on weekends. I have the Styrofoam to wrap them, but need to find boxes to cover them in.

A Cornwall I, with the B crossover, and an excellent ad, recently traded as high as $1,800. I am asking $1,000 without shipping & handling.

This message has been edited by Colin on 08-17-2002 at 12:47 PM

Well, one more $200 payment.

Jazman worked out a deal with me for his Cornwall's.

Now I have to figure out how to get down there and get them.

I do not have any Klipsch speakers at the moment, sold my Chorus II's to a guy at work.(He's happy.)

I geuss I really don't belong here, being non-Klipsch at the moment.

Oh well.

Looks we'll both have Heritage speakers now, Eh Mike?

(These are the last speakers I'm buying for a LONG time.)

I can't frikkin' wait!

quote:

can you give me a list of the equipment you have now?

Uh, yeah.

Well, this will get some laughs.

I'm still using my Carver SDA/490t CD player (modified) with Bugle Boy 6DJ8's for the buffer tubes.

The Varible output of the CD player is fed into Eico HF-12's which I modded, but am still kind of working on it.

(I need to get some bass back from these amps, it could be the volume driver circuit in the CD player however, they cranked with a portable CDP.)

These feed a pair of early 70's Sansui SP-2000's,(Colin's favorite speakers!) but three of the radial horn 16 ohm tweeters are fried, so I unhooked them.

Then the fixed output on the player is fed into a RCA SE6BQ5 stereo amp,(raided out of a early 60's console).

This amp feeds a pair of cheap and nasty Sansui metal horn 12 ohm tweeters, sitting on top of the SP-2000's.

I just have a 6db crossover with a 2mfd oil can cap bypassed with a Harmony ultra-bypass cap.

The tweeters seem to be tolerable with this setup.

I used a splitter off the left fixed output of the Cd player and run it into a Audio Control Richter scale II bass EQ, into my old NAD 2100 power envelope bridged running one 16/46 SVS sub at the moment.

(I have two.)

I'm not getting the bass I want from the Eico's, and have to add a sub to help accentuate the bottom end a little.

(I had this problem with the Chorus's as well.)

But with the right recorded CD, you can skip the sub.

It gives a better bass, and I need more of it.

It sounds OK, has good and bad points,(Great midrange and highs, no bottom end) but basically I miss my Klipschs.

My Yamaha gear went with the Chorus's, but tubes sounded better with them, more comfortable.

The Yamaha had great detail and power, but burned you out after about a hour.

I listened to some KM-6's this last weekend with the usual Solid State stuff, Pioneer AV receiver, Technics EQ, tuner, some 5 disc changer.

These speakers had some nice punch, and sounded nice, but they had a mechanical sound to them with that gear to me.

The EQ helped, but those horns were like a dagger.

These were a two way, and I always had the impression that I was missing some midrange.

So IMHO, These KM-6's would do well with tubes, as it seems mostly with all Klipsch speakers.

My current gear is really nuthin' great.

I geuss it's a transitionary period.

OOOPS! Long post.