Atmos Questions...CINEMA style

Scrappydue

They would only hang over the top by 2". With some rubber feet I doubt the small four inch driver is gonna bounce the speaker around. It might look kinda dumb with the over hang though and shelves directly above the 62's is a good idea. Problem is they will be only 24-36 inches below the ceiling. Would this effect the sound?

So for now you're going with 2 Front Atmos Ceiling speakers.

If I understand you correctly.... you're going to mount (2) 8000's or (2) 8060's flush on the ceiling with the built in 8° or 15° angle? 

For placement, the Horn will be pointed towards the 904's.... with the 8" driver pointed towards the MLP? 

And the cabinet design will have the Horn (approx) 2.5" lower than the driver?

They would only hang over the top by 2". With some rubber feet I doubt the small four inch driver is gonna bounce the speaker around. It might look kinda dumb with the over hang though and shelves directly above the 62's is a good idea. Problem is they will be only 24-36 inches below the ceiling. Would this effect the sound?

Oh wow, did not realise it would be that close to the ceiling. That is too close, that also tells me your surrounds are too high. Do not mount a shelf over your surrounds if it puts the modules more than half way up the wall. Move the modules to a 130-150 degree location from the MLP assuming your side surrounds are at 90. Mount the shelf around 40-45" from the floor to put the modules on.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If I understand you correctly.... you're going to mount (2) 8000's or (2) 8060's flush on the ceiling with the built in 8° or 15° angle? 

For placement, the Horn will be pointed towards the 904's.... with the 8" driver pointed towards the MLP? 

well from looking at the pdf you added it seems like 4 would be better for me as it would move them further away from my couch. a 2 setup it says to have them very close to the listening position. since my ceiling is low that might not be too good. 

as far as mounting them yes i would mount them flush. and the angle would be towards the LP. 

and yeah woofer would be on couch side and horn on screen side. 

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-8000m/details

Oh wow, did not realise it would be that close to the ceiling. That is too close, that also tells me your surrounds are too high. Do not mount a shelf over your surrounds if it puts the modules more than half way up the wall. Move the modules to a 130-150 degree location from the MLP assuming your side surrounds are at 90. Mount the shelf around 40-45" from the floor to put the modules on.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

My (RS-7's) rear surrounds are at "ear level" on a stand. The (RP-140SA's) upward firing modules are sitting on top of the RS-7's. That position works great in my space.

Edited by Nismo

According to the so called experts your surrounds should be 12 -18 inches above ear level? My 62's are behind me not on the sides. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

well i think things will change for atmos though. either way, dont you sit on the back wall? i would think sitting on the wall with modules shooting up and reflecting in front of you might not be a proper setup? i could be wrong. you and i have probably read about the same amount of info. 

• Like 1

Yea I'm sure it's not a THX Dolby Atmos certified setup but neither is quad 18's next to three KPT904's lol. Guess nobody will know unless you try it for yourself in YOUR room with YOUR ears. If that doesn't do it then invite some friends over and if you see any jaws drop then you know your on the right track.

well from looking at the pdf you added it seems like 4 would be better for me as it would move them further away from my couch. a 2 setup it says to have them very close to the listening position. since my ceiling is low that might not be too good. 

as far as mounting them yes i would mount them flush. and the angle would be towards the LP. 

and yeah woofer would be on couch side and horn on screen side. 

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-8000m/details

With that post & PDF link I mentioned to check out pages 34, 35 & 36... but that was when I thought you were using them as wall mount speakers. Since you will be using them as ceiling speakers (disregard pages 34, 35 & 36)... you'll have to check specs & placement for 5.1.2 setups.... on page 16 & 17.

On fact there might even be an update available, I have to check for a possible later spec than the April 2015 Atmos Guidelines.

Are you sure it is ok to mount them on the ceiling and have them angled toward the MLP? I was under the impression the ceiling speakers were to be pointing straight down. 

When using a traditional ceiling speaker for Atmos, the recommendation is to choose one with wide dispersion, then it can be pointed directly down (with ceiling heights of 7.5' to 12') If the traditional ceiling speaker has a narrow dispersion, the recommendation is to choose one that is aimable or be angled towards the MLP. Scrappy's unique approach with speaker selection would fall into the; angled towards the MLP category,& should be effective when reproducing overhead sound in his space.

• Like 1

Are you sure it is ok to mount them on the ceiling and have them angled toward the MLP? I was under the impression the ceiling speakers were to be pointing straight down. 

When using a traditional ceiling speaker for Atmos, the recommendation is to choose one with wide dispersion, then it can be pointed directly down (with ceiling heights of 7.5' to 12') If the traditional ceiling speaker has a narrow dispersion, the recommendation is to choose one that is aimable or be angled towards the MLP. Scrappy's unique approach with speaker selection would fall into the; angled towards the MLP category,& should be effective when reproducing overhead sound in his space.

So with my ceilings being almost 9' high, and speakers having a 100x80 pattern...should them be facing downward or angled?