Noob to Klipsch, ATMOS, and surround...what to do next?

007nco

The 7502's are double the power.  Don't know that there is that much energy on the overhead channels.

The problem here is that they are pretty expensive. Four of these start to become pretty pricey. If I had an otherwise all THX system I'd do it just to keep everything matched but otherwise most people find it hard to justify due to diminishing return on investment and not matching reference systems which most people have.

What's interesting about these is that the Atmos installs I've seen with these plus in talking with the people who are interested in them, they keep looking at the LCR version, like the PRO-7502-L-THX. The horn on those were originally meant to let you use them as mains though, they trick you into thinking the sound was coming from in front of you. Just seems like the PRO-7502-S would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

I think rf-7's are way too much speaker for surrounds myself. I mean if you got tons of room and money sure why not. But why you are at it you better buy an amp too. Cause four rf-7 plus other speakers will start getting very hard for the receiver to handle.

You're starting to sound like the guys you make fun of who say bigger more efficient speakers needs a more powerful amp. :) As long as you cross them over at the same frequency, I don't see why RF-7ii's wouldn't be easier to drive than inefficient surrounds. The problem is that once you have them, you're probably going to want to cross them over lower and play them louder.

Lol, I don't believe one can have too much clean power. Control, dampening in addition to volume, little things ;)

Funny, but as it seems to my ear I did experimenting with running the towers full range (lol, thanks Scrappy! gotta test the limits I suppose) tonight. The auto set-up on the Onkyo had them at 40z,; which was fine and clear as loud as I cared to try it (80 on their volume scale) Books, and curios started vibrating off their shelves... time to move the shelves was my opinion. I'm testing them at full range now watching the new Mad Max movie, so far good and maybe as I just have the one sub, these can help that bass image stabilization. Thoughts?

50hz seems to be the magic number for the RF7's. I know there's some subwoofer processing that changes with the front L/R going full range though I can't seem to easily bypass it. Nonetheless 50hz XO works well. Moving along, bigger fish to fry as they say. Thanks for the tips. Edited by 007nco

I'm thinking to complete the surround and ATMOS sounds with the following.

I like the horns on the RF7's (after dampening with some Dynamat from the mobile projects) and thinking about just using the wall mount 5800's for overhead ATMOS drivers. Any pros or cons?   I have 6" wood planks on the floor above them so will need to build enclosures, dampening etc for sure to avoid buzzing.

Otherwise to do more traditional round speakers, here's my short list.

(2) R5800wII

(4) CDT5800C II

(1) R115SW (to add to the one in place now)

Anything to input, please feel free.