Help With Wiring New XO's Correctly to my Belles?

Wolfbane

Picked up a pair of Type AA XO's from another Forum member's ad here on the Garage Sale forum. Now I need to replace the Crites A/4500 with the new to me AA's. The terminals on the new AA's are not labeled like the original Klipsch XO's units or BEC's as shown here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159267-jensen-capped-aa-networks/

I don't want to wire these incorrectly so my question is which terminals are for the inputs, the tweeters, mid range and bass speakers? 

TIA,

Wb

You wire them just like the networks you just removed.

If I used a 10 point barrier strip, you do not connect anything to the last two connectors on the far left. So then:

| Blank | Blank | T+ | T - | M + | M - | W + | W - | Input + | Input - |

Back in the early days, I didn't use labels, because I was naive enough to think that everyone knew how to hook up a Klipsch crossover. :-)

Edited by Deang
  • Like 1

You wire them just like the networks you just removed.

If I used a 10 point barrier strip, you do not connect anything to the last two connectors on the far left. So then:

| Blank | Blank | T+ | T - | M + | M - | W + | W - | Input + | Input - |

Back in the early days, I didn't use labels, because I was naive enough to think that everyone knew how to hook up a Klipsch crossover. :-)

Thanks Dean. As to anything involving wiring I know just enough about the subject to screw it up. Sometimes badly.

Nice... good work dean.

Lets us know what you think wolfbane.

Indeed I will. Bob's A/4500 XO's replaced the original AB units and restored the original sound. Theses AA's have the reputation to bring up the detail, warmth and musicality a good step up from stock. I plan to install just one unit at 1st and compare the two XO types before installing the second XO.

May have to find a labeling machine before I do the install though.

No, just hook them both up and listen. The original caps had oil. The oil provides damping, and is the same reason he required wax for his coils and autoformers. Just put on the last thing you listened to, and then make the swap. You'll be surprised at what your brain remembers.

I drew you what a label looks like, you also have some on the networks from Bob. Just start with one set of wires and hook them up.

Start with the wires from the amplifier (make sure it's off). Negative first and then positive.

Now the woofer: negative and then positive.

Squawker: negative and positive.

Tweeter: negative and positive.

I'm out of labels, but when they show up I will send you some. Please PM me your mailing address. If you are short on patience, you can get some from Bob - but I really do believe mine look nicer.

I drew you what a label looks like, you also have some on the networks from Bob. Just start with one set of wires and hook them up.

Start with the wires from the amplifier (make sure it's off). Negative first and then positive.

Now the woofer: negative and then positive.

Squawker: negative and positive.

Tweeter: negative and positive.

I'm out of labels, but when they show up I will send you some. Please PM me your mailing address. If you are short on patience, you can get some from Bob - but I really do believe mine look nicer.

Working closest to the barrier strip side I did the mirror image of what was posted above on the 1st speaker (i.e. to be the same connections as my Crites A/4500 XO's are labeled) for a quick test and it's sounding absolutely right. Now I have to decide if I'll dig out my original K77's to replace the BEC CT-125's or just leave them in. Tweeter swap back is probably not a big issue pushing my 45 SET Amp at 1/4 volume. I left the Crites XO's in for the test as I had 2-sided-taped them down when I installed them. I'll dig out one of the girls hair blow-dryers to loosen up the old tape before I gently pry them loose.

Thanks, I'll PM you my US address when we leave the colder north for some fall/winter sun this year.