Hard decision between RF82 and RP280 (Update)

grandcarrera

How would you describe 2 front DAES if they were embedded in the ceiling?

Ceiling speakers... are ceiling speakers (there is no such animal as an Atmos Ceiling Speaker). By their nature, Ceiling Speakers already recreate audio from the height plane above. So, any ceiling speaker that offers wide dispersion capability (or adjustable angle) meets with Atmos spec.

The DAES... is a new category of speaker that sends audio overhead via an upward firing element & the DAES is different than a ceiling speaker.

When configuring a ceiling speaker during connection & Atmos setup, it is generally referred to as: Top Front, or Top Rear.  

So you've got RF-7's, and surrounds.  Four upward firing Atmos modules which you describe as Front and Rear heights.  I get the front two RP-140SA are on the towers, how are the back two mounted, on stands?

Here's a few pics of my Front & Rear RP-140SA's:

ztEQ0k3.jpg

NbZBZd1.jpg

Bt6WQPt.jpg

As of right now I think i will spend 300$ more for RP280, but this weekend i will go listen to it in the store again before i pick it up.

if so the matching center to the rf-82ii (rc-62ii) is in my opinion a better center than the one that matches the RP-280

You don't think that RP-450c is not as good as rc-62ii?

what do you think about R-115SW ? the sale man try to convince me to go with SVS for the subwoofer.

yes I think the 62ii is better. Read my posts again. I explained exactly why.

And as for the 115. It's a good sub but downers on how much you are paying for it. Where ae you located at? Which Svs was he talking you into

He told me to get SVS SB-1000 instead.

Im in Spokane Washington.

As of right now I think i will spend 300$ more for RP280, but this weekend i will go listen to it in the store again before i pick it up.

if so the matching center to the rf-82ii (rc-62ii) is in my opinion a better center than the one that matches the RP-280

what do you think about R-115SW ? the sale man try to convince me to go with SVS for the subwoofer.

And as for the 115. It's a good sub but downers on how much you are paying for it. Where ae you located at? Which Svs was he talking you into

how big is your room? I'm sorry but I think your local salesman is full of crap. A little tiny Svs sb-1000 is not going to keep up with a Klípsch rp-280 home theater system in less you have a tiny room. It's just not. I haven't owned the sb-1000 but I have owned it's more powerful bother the sb-12nsd. It was a cool little sub for an office or small bedroom. But in my medium sized 11x17 living room. It reached its limits rather quickly.
  • Like 1

how big is your room? I'm sorry but I think your local salesman is full of crap. A little tiny Svs sb-1000 is not going to keep up with a Klípsch rp-280 home theater system in less you have a tiny room. It's just not. I haven't owned the sb-1000 but I have owned it's more powerful bother the sb-12nsd. It was a cool little sub for an office or small bedroom. But in my medium sized 11x17 living room. It reached its limits rather quickly.

It is about the size of a medium living room. To be fair he was comparing that to R-110sw .

Edited by grandcarrera

A single 27 pound 10" sealed sub with 300 watts is going to struggle to say the least on home theater. Personally I probably wouldn't even bother.

Let's switch directions here a little. Have you considered skipping Atmos altogether and getting RF-7ii's? Personally I like those better, the compression driver is smoother, there's more midbass slam, and the highest octaves aren't as piercing. You're within range of them by the time you look at the RP-280FA's, plus that 10" sub, plus having to get a nicer receiver that has Atmos capabilities. Could just run them full range for now. If you skip the extra toys like Atmos towers, Atmos modules, Atmos receivers, and dinky little subs you could have what I consider to be nicer speakers. Stretching the budget as you seem to be doing just to get into Atmos when the Atmos functionality won't even be complete may not make the most sense.

It is about the size of a medium living room. To be fair he was comparing that to R-110sw .
i own a r-110sw right now. It sits in my living room. It has about the same output as the sb-12nsd in my opinion. Not a lot. Svs was cleaner but at a higher price point.

Thank you for the clarification.  In my world, words matter, and I try to keep my language up-to-date since the technology is also changing.  Do you pronounce DAES as "days?"

So in the example above, Nismo would have 2 front DAES and 2 rear DAES.  Would that be the correct way to phrase that?

No.... its an acronym like NRA. (just pronounce the letters, not pronounced as a "word").  

Thank you for the clarification.  In my world, words matter, and I try to keep my language up-to-date since the technology is also changing.  Do you pronounce DAES as "days?"

So in the example above, Nismo would have 2 front DAES and 2 rear DAES.  Would that be the correct way to phrase that?

Early on Jay L used the term DAES (which is perfect description)... but early on most would not know what DAES actual is. Especially when most people today don't even know what Atmos is. What adds to the confusion, is that most will consider a in-ceiling speaker an Atmos speaker. But it is not. There is no such thing as an Atmos in-ceiling speaker. An wide dispersion in-ceiling speaker is already perfectly in spec with Atmos & can deliver Atmos content.... but it is & always will be a in-ceiling speaker. Description for in-ceiling speakers (at least during setup) are based on placement: Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear.

The only thing that makes an Atmos speaker an "Atmos speaker"... is that it is an upward firing speaker (whether integrated within a tower, or as an ad-on module). Both of those options are considered DAES. 

A single 27 pound 10" sealed sub with 300 watts is going to struggle to say the least on home theater. Personally I probably wouldn't even bother.

Let's switch directions here a little. Have you considered skipping Atmos altogether and getting RF-7ii's? Personally I like those better, the compression driver is smoother, there's more midbass slam, and the highest octaves aren't as piercing. You're within range of them by the time you look at the RP-280FA's, plus that 10" sub, plus having to get a nicer receiver that has Atmos capabilities. Could just run them full range for now. If you skip the extra toys like Atmos towers, Atmos modules, Atmos receivers, and dinky little subs you could have what I consider to be nicer speakers. Stretching the budget as you seem to be doing just to get into Atmos when the Atmos functionality won't even be complete may not make the most sense.

Building a system over time, adding elements when budget allows makes perfect sense, especially since the OP mentioned interest in Atmos & the RP-140SA's. 

Building a system over time, adding elements when budget allows makes perfect sense, especially since the OP mentioned interest in Atmos & the RP-140SA's. 

Yes of course, but at the same time, sometimes people are happier with simpler solutions.  This guy is in college and is stretching the budget.  If I were in that position, I'd be leaning towards a simple but very solid 5.1 system that I can fully enjoy while I'm still in school, but that's just me.  

I'd stretch the budget on the front mains if I were getting new ones anyway because I'll probably have them for 20 years.  Of course the RP-280FA with its nice veneer can also fit this bill just fine.  

I'd scrimp heavily on an AVR because I'd be overextending myself by getting a nice 11 channel Atmos enabled one plus an external amp for the rear Atmos, and in two years, much less by the time I have a nice job, whatever I get now will be outdated and fairly worthless anyway, and I don't need a 4K display in college so HDCP 2.2 is unnecessary.  

I definitely wouldn't go crazy on surrounds, side surrounds that are functional and halfway have the same timbre and that's about it.  

Subs are most fun during that age group so I'd also splurge at least a little more and get something fun, probably ported, assuming the living arrangements allow for such.  

Then I'd be done with it until I was out of school and had a nice job.  You can expand and replace and get the latest AVR at that point.  

But like I said, that's just me, speaking with what I'd like to think is some financial wisdom.  All I'm saying is to evaluate the long term goals and budget.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Rp280 all day i woild spen the extra 350 and the center channels are on sale right now Crutchfield has them on sale no tax free shipping. The rp series sound really good clear.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by swa99a

If your interested in Atmos & you can swing the budget... I'd say go for it. I've lived with Atmos for over a year now & really kicked things up over 3 months ago with 2 pairs of Atmos RP-140SA's. The change was dramatic, enough so that I wouldn't go back to a non-Atmos HT.  

If the 280FA's (with integrated Atmos elevation speaker) are not an option, grab the regular 280F's from your original inquiry. With the 280F's you can add RP-140SA's or in-ceiling options later.  The 140SA's deliver Atmos content & provide a great HT experience.

Another option (to the 280F's) would be looking for  a pair of RF-7's or RF-7-ll's on the secondary market. Those are often available for less than a pair of 280F's. Good luck. 

If your interested in Atmos & you can swing the budget... I'd say go for it. I've lived with Atmos for over a year now & really kicked things up over 3 months ago with 2 pairs of Atmos RP-140SA's. The change was dramatic, enough so that I wouldn't go back to a non-Atmos HT.

If the 280FA's (with integrated Atmos elevation speaker) are not an option, grab the regular 280F's from your original inquiry. With the 280F's you can add RP-140SA's or in-ceiling options later. The 140SA's deliver Atmos content & provide a great HT experience.

Another option (to the 280F's) would be looking for a pair of RF-7's or RF-7-ll's on the secondary market. Those are often available for less than a pair of 280F's. Good luck.

where do you often find rf-7ii's for less than 1350 (msrp) or cheaper than a 1000 (street price)??

If the 280FA's (with integrated Atmos elevation speaker) are not an option, grab the regular 280F's from your original inquiry. With the 280F's you can add RP-140SA's or in-ceiling options later. The 140SA's deliver Atmos content & provide a great HT experience.

Another option (to the 280F's) would be looking for a pair of RF-7's or RF-7-ll's on the secondary market. Those are often available for less than a pair of 280F's. Good luck.

where do you often find rf-7ii's for less than 1350 (msrp) or cheaper than a 1000 (street price)??

I've seen RF-7's for as low as $600-800 quite often.

Another option (to the 280F's) would be looking for  a pair of RF-7's or RF-7-ll's

Um... right.

Another option (to the 280F's) would be looking for  a pair of RF-7's or RF-7-ll's

Um... right.

Yes.