Chorus II cab rehab advice needed

dbomberger

OK, so then reading and taking into consideration both Carl's and Moray's posts, although mid's would be improved, bass would be diminished....do I read that correctly?

Yes

And, not just asking to stick my nose in, but I do have a pair of Chorus II's that I'm always looking to take to another level....

Worst pun ever

Awww, cmon Carl, I thought it was pretty darn clever…

I built risers from some scraps I had lying around for my forte 2s. Didn't notice any lack of base. They are filled with sand and weigh close to 100lbs each I believe.

Mild thread drift:  I've always been curious about the concept of sand being put into various stands, especially the large ones like above. ^^^

Are you really putting loose sand in the bottom (like a child's sandbox) or are you putting in sealed bags of sand?

I would think loose sand would be a nightmare when it comes to time to move the heavy stands, and a mess to clean up.

Edited by wvu80

15c92666a8ed50dc30937ca973fcaeb7.jpg

d538d34b323866d729407e8e8b0ba06a.jpg

I built risers from some scraps I had lying around for my forte 2s. Didn't notice any lack of base. They are filled with sand and weigh close to 100lbs each I believe.

Very nice! I like the concept and the execution.  A friend with a woodworking shop has signed up to make me a couple of exact replicas for the risers, but this idea of using them without the factory risers is starting to sound appealing.  I may do both as an experiment-since my impending retirement is going to give me some time to tinker-and to which I'm looking forward.

Mild thread drift:  I've always been curious about the concept of sand being put into various stands, especially the large ones like above. ^^^

Are you really putting loose sand in the bottom (like a child's sandbox) or are you putting in sealed bags of sand?

I would think loose sand would be a nightmare when it comes to time to move the heavy stands, and a mess to clean up.

I got some "premium" sandbox sand, it was completely dry, and poured it through a hole drilled into the top of the stand. Everything else is sealed so the only way it would leak out is if someone picked it up and turned it over. 

My main purpose was to make the base heavy enough so the heavy Forte on top wouldn't knock over easily. Don't want the kids getting squished.

They actually slide on my wood floors pretty easily if I need to work on positioning.

Very nice! I like the concept and the execution.  A friend with a woodworking shop has signed up to make me a couple of exact replicas for the risers, but this idea of using them without the factory risers is starting to sound appealing.  I may do both as an experiment-since my impending retirement is going to give me some time to tinker-and to which I'm looking forward.

I have never liked the factory risers so I was glad to get rid of them. Had kind of an 80's look to them. Not a fan of the grill bevel either but can't do to much about that. I wish they used the Heritage grill material and had them receded a bit. They would look like a tall Heresys.