What is wrong with my speaker?

jwadd21

For some reason, when I plug my Klipsch RF-3 speaker(which I turned into a center channel) in using the top two inputs on the back, I get nothing but tweeter sounds out of the speaker. However, If I use the bottom two inputs I get nothing but the woofer sounds. If I use the black input on the bottom and the red on the top, I get nothing but woofer, and if I use red on the top and black on the bottom, you guessed it, nothing but tweeter. What the hell is going on??????

This message has been edited by jwadd21 on 08-20-2002 at 02:55 AM

Are you using the 2 jumper wires, one black and one red, to connect the positive(red)of the LF post to the positive of the HF post and the Negative(Black) to the negative LF post and negative HF post? I thought these jumpers came with that speaker.Perhaps not.I may not understand what you mean but you need the jumpers if you have these 4 posts and you are using only one speaker cable unless you have rewired the RF-3.Then that's something you will have to ask the center speaker expert,Horned, about. And then again I may not be reading your post the way you meant to describe the problem.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

jwadd -

I don't think your description of what you have done and what you are trying to connect to what is quite clear.

"when I plug my Klipsch RF-3 speaker(which I turned into a center channel)" - did you remount/rewire the speakers - ala HornEd or did you just flop the speaker on its side and say "poof you are a center channel?"

Your original description sounded like you were fiddling with the wire to speaker combinations, which is why BBB mentioned the jumper wires. RF-7s have jumper wires which go from the LF posts to the HF posts on the back of the speakers, red to red black to black.

I think you may need clarify your post.

This message has been edited by cluless on 08-20-2002 at 06:55 AM

Clulessssssssssssss !!! I was just going to call out for help on this one when I saw you were here. Am I having a mind block here or what ? As Sylvester said in 'It's a MAd, Mad, Mad, Mad World' "It's bugging me man!" Eek.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

I think they are talking about the Gold Plate straps that come with the RF stuff. It makes it so you can run it normally, not bi-wire function, and that may be your issue. Do you have the gold straps (jumpers) on the back of the RF-3 center you made? If not you should, and then just plug the speaker wire into the top (HF) on the back of the RF-3, that should cure it. I'm sure you know this. Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3'sc>

Klipsch RC-3c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

I don't have RF-3's, but if I had to guess, you are seeing the effects of the crossover internal connections.

With the straps in place, you hook-up the 2 wires to either the top or bottom connectors and the crossover sends the correct frequencies to the correct speaker. With the straps off, there is still some connection between the two speakers through the crossover, that you can't remove without opening the box. Hooking up to top red, bottom black or top black, bottom red completes the circuit through the crossover.

Just my thoughts, maybe someone with a schematic of the crossover could jump in.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scalas (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Living Room:

Yamaha RX-V590, 1978 Klipschorns Mainsc>s>

jtkinney, you've nailed it. The jumper straps (or wire to replace them) MUST be in place to connect BOTH the HF and LF sections of the speaker. Sometimes, the straps can be there visually, but because of a loose binding post, electrical connection is not being made. When you connect that pair of wires, make sure to tighten the binding posts to finger tight with the gold jumpers in place. Then you'll get both HF and LF.