So...is it just so ugly it's cute...?

The History Kid

I've been meaning to ask this before, as I never really understood...

Obviously there are dust caps on voice coils within a driver. I've seen some concave, and some convex, and some just straight across. But one thing I've never understood is why this is a thing:

post-58712-0-51060000-1446108120.jpg

Can anyone explain why some drivers have these two - what appears to be glue splotches - and some do not? Does it make replacement of that dust cap easier or something?

No speakers I own anymore have this, but am still just curious.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Those are just the leads that come through the cone to go to the former and make up the voice coil. Most companies go through the cone close enough that the dust cover is hiding them. It doesn't hurt or change a thing except appearance. Personally I just think it looks cheap and poorly made when they don't take the time to cover them up, but it won't affect performance.

Roger

I've been meaning to ask this before, as I never really understood...

Obviously there are dust caps on voice coils within a driver. I've seen some concave, and some convex, and some just straight across. But one thing I've never understood is why this is a thing:

attachicon.gifexample.jpg

Can anyone explain why some drivers have these two - what appears to be glue splotches - and some do not? Does it make replacement of that dust cap easier or something?

No speakers I own anymore have this, but am still just curious.

ha ....I checked my very very old Pioneer Speakers and found this also ( use them only as stands for my RB81....as you can see they are at the end already

post-50798-0-23060000-1446127015_thumb.j