Minimum wage. Should it be $15?

mustang guy

Right. And how were they to derive those increases? Profits? Oh, yes. Profits! And how were they going to realize higher profits? By paying less in labor? Oh, yes. Less in labor! Hey, Johnny and Nick, can you work for $1.50 an hour like Xiao Ye Ling? No? So sorry. Here's 2 weeks pay. Good luck!

And doesn't that suck!   

That's the first concession you've made in a long time.

There's no denying the truth of the example.  There is a lot wrong with how it all came about.

Exactly.  Why?  Check it out.

because..... it's cheap?

So when the building collapses on you remind yourself of how it was inevitable.

Apparently, it meets minimum building code requirements.  Right?  

In any event, the argument is becoming asinine at this point.  We all know that in a global market, Americans are having trouble competing because our wage rates are already comparatively high versus the rates paid in other nations.

Do you all realize we lost major industries because we could not adapt and pay workers low enough to compete? Do you realize this wage inelasticity is causing further outsourcing as we speak?

Companies choose to globalize and then create global trade agreements to facilitate that. They have no corn of any kind for an abstract like,, "low wages in the US." They always want the lowest wages possible.

There nothing wrong with stopping that process of driving the world into feudalism. You seem to think it is done sorry of given? Trade agreements are made, and the can be canceled. Why should all the citizens be ruled by what corporations want? You're putting the cart ahead of the horse. Where the horse is supposed to be the will of the people. You are looking at the effects and pretending there is an immutable cause.

Plenty of other countries are managing to stay high wage countries and doing very well.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Now, all that needs to be shown is that we have an ethical duty to make the economy good and useful for all citizens.

What needs to be shown is what citizens can do for themselves to make their lots in life better.

Do you really, truly believe we will move to an isolated economy and our aristocrats will give up their profits because Congress will pass a law?

I ask again......

Do you subscribe to the survival of the fittest philosophy for social organization?

Exactly.  Why?  Check it out.

because..... it's cheap?

So when the building collapses on you remind yourself of how it was inevitable.

Apparently, it meets minimum building code requirements.  Right?  

In any event, the argument is becoming asinine at this point.  We all know that in a global market, Americans are having trouble competing because our wage rates are already comparatively high versus the rates paid in other nations.

And we all know this is because labor has not caught up with global corporations.  We also know products make it here which actually don't meet code.  Remember the drywall fiasco?  It hasn't been that long sure you do.

Do you all realize we lost major industries because we could not adapt and pay workers low enough to compete? Do you realize this wage inelasticity is causing further outsourcing as we speak?

Companies choose to globalize and then create global trade agreements to facilitate that. They have no corn of any kind for an abstract like,, "low wages in the US." They always want the lowest wages possible.

There nothing wrong with stopping that process of driving the world into feudalism. You seem to think it is done sorry of given? Trade agreements are made, and the can be canceled. Why should all the citizens be ruled by what corporations want? You're putting the cart ahead of the horse. Where the horse is supposed to be the will of the people. You are looking at the effects and pretending there is an immutable cause.

Plenty of other countries are managing to stay high wage countries and doing very well.

Maybe you can fix these problems when you cast your vote next November.  Let us know how it all turns out.

Do you subscribe to the survival of the fittest philosophy for social organization?

I subscribe to seeing circumstances for what they are and discerning the most viable strategies for working in them.  You can call it "survival of the fittest" if you want.  I am not so sure that's a perfect description of what I really would describe as maximizing efficiency in seeking change.

The German issue did not release toxic gasses right into our living rooms.  Not that I defend wrongdoing, but if you had to choose a sole source of imported goods would it be Chinese or German? 

TBH, I buy all kinds of Chinese things because they are cheaper than what Germans (and even Americans) can supply them for.  I bet you do, too.  Or have you banned Chinese products from your shopping lists?

Price is certainly an object.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

I will buy a German product every time over a Chinese one.  No strict ban, but when it breaks out of the package I kick myself.  I recently bought a bottle/can opener at the grocery store.  At the time I was not aware it was Chinese manufacture.  The angle, I mean the actual angle for opening a bottle cap was wrong.  It was completely dysfunctional.  It looked like a bottle opener, but it wasn't.  It's like a wrench from there which will break the first time you use it.  Yes, I will buy American or German or French if I can.  Even Italian car parts are better.

In any event, the argument is becoming asinine at this point. We all know that in a global market, Americans are having trouble competing because our wage rates are already comparatively high versus the rates paid in other nations.

It's not really an argument, and quality is not asinine.  Our car industry went south not because of price but because quality suffered.  Everyone wants to blame labor but gee I thought management made the big bucks because they were responsible for the business?

• Like 1