Klipschorns suitable for my listening room?

tlarwa

This has been mentioned by many on the forums, and I am always telling LS owners... Pull the mids down about 3 db and the tonal balance will sound better. This will be very good for Jaz and other acoustic music, classical, etc.

I also had mine toed in to converge just behind me. It gave a slightly wider sound stage. I have a lot of music that would give me imaging to whre the instruments seemed to b farther to the left and right than the actual speaker placement, and it wasn't just reflections. Spooky good.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Original question: are "Klipschorns suitable for my listening room?"

They will "work" but you will never, ever, ever be able to getting anything near optimum performance, and certainly not even what you could get from them in a much larger (minimum) properly sized AND proportioned room (or not), purpose built or not.

I've had my Khorns in rooms as small as 12' x 14' (when I first got them in 1976). It just didn't do them any justice.

In the early 80's I built a purpose built room specifically for the Khorns and there is absolutely no comparison. The room is part of the audio system components. And the room is probably more intimately related to the speaker with a Klipschorn than any other speaker ever made.

That being said, I wouldn't do it.

For a good read on this subject see my post "artto's klipschorn room" in the Forum's Architectural section.

Edited by artto

And some food for thought:

Once upon a time I was at my local Klipsch dealer, who had a fairly good-sized showroom (maybe 30' x 40' ?). They had a pair of Heresy sitting on top of a pair of Khorns. The salesman put Supertramp Crime of the Century on the turntable and CRANKED IT UP. Their was that priceless look on the customer's face. Afterward the customer said "WOW, that was incredible!!!, But I can't afford those!!" To which the salesman replied "Of course you can. I was playing the little speakers sitting on top." And the guy's eye's got big and his mouth just dropped open!

Putting Khorns in a room like that is kind of like dropping an Allison aircraft engine into a VW Beetle. Yes, you can do it. But what's the point? Especially if you don't have the drag strip to run it on?

Which of course begs the question, what are you're objectives? Are you more interested in just throwing more money at something to look and feel more impressive to those who don't know any better? Or are you really interested in the best sound you can get - in this particular room (which is not going to give the best performance, really, with anything other than near-field monitors)?

Edited by artto

• 3 months later...