would rather have full range...

prodj101

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think the whole surround speaker with the bi polars and all is kind of gimicky. my system right now has the SF-2's for mains, SC-1 for center, and SF-1 for rear. I much prefer full range speakers for the rear, just because they sound more powerful, plus the make your system alot bigger looking! besides, I have listened to the surround speakers, and don't see any huge benifits of them

------------------

-Trevor

You and HornEd must be twins of different mothers Smile.gif

I agree. However, the smaller surround speakers that are built are necessary (I believe) for those who a) don't have room for full size surrounds (such as myself), or B) don't have the WAF for full size surrounds.

So, it's good we can all get something that works, yes?

Doug

------------------

My System

sorry, I forgot to mention I wasn't meaning to bash owners of surround speakers, sorry guys, it's just my opinion. and true, it's nice to have something we can all fit in our living space, but considering my space is small, it makes the full sizers seem all the more intimidating.

------------------

-Trevor

Doug-

Better make that triplets! I completely agree about having direct radiators, and full range speakers. My original ProLogic system had Forte II mains, and KG 1.2s for surrounds and I loved them. Granted, their 50Hz didn't reach as low as the Forte's 32Hz, but they were great. Now that I have Chorus IIs for mains, and the Fortes for surrounds, I am in heaven. The 1.2s now stand as back center speakers and still rock in 7-ch stereo.

Granted, I have never heard the WDST speakers, but I am not "distracted" by having direct radiators as the surrounds. Also, I have never had the room to hang them from a side wall, so that may be an easy reason. Now if I could experiment with a couple more pairs of 1.2s for side surrounds, then I could see how that does...

mixers are putting a lot of low bass in the surrounds in 5.1 mixes these days. a bigger speak as a surround is going to handle those directional (60hz & above for me) low bass sounds much better.

also, i like listening to stereo music using all speaks, as like a recording studio w/ back speakers surrounding the center position. many of the receivers

now have the "5 channel stereo mode" or such for this. & naturally this calls for big surrounds. jmo. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

As the Forum archives clearly show... I am a strong proponent of direct radiating speakers over WDST as surrounds... and I own both. As Dougdrake notes that WDST is a big step up from the surrounds of many other manufacturers... and is a cost effective solution to solving many awkward acoustic and WAF challenges. That is why I chose Klipsch WDST to smooth out the surround challenge of my 8' x 30' motorhome.

Full size, high quality, full-range speakers that are timbre matched to the mains provide the "character" that is increasingly being mixed into current and future DVD's... as Boa has well noted. Properly placed, direct radiating speakers provide more depth and substance to one's sound experience. Providing one has enough room, careful surround placement (and the use of an SPL meter) will provide sufficient ambience... and what the full-range add to your surround experience far out-weighs any diminution in ambience. More later. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

One of these days, I am going to try to squeeze another pair of RF-7s into my little room (may try to score a pair on the used market a couple years down the road), but for now, I'll settle with the RS-7s that I currently have as my surrounds. The main reason is that I just simply did not have the space and money to get another pair of RF-7s to use as surrounds (and I also like to listen to my music in full "7-channel" mode - which is why I stuck my spare pair of Infinity towers in with the RS-7s as surrounds and set them up as the "B surrounds" then dial it all in with an SPL meter (had to really crank those Infinity's up to stay with the RF-7s) ).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

if the big rears don't fit, you could always get another sub, set surrounds large, & place in the back of room. assuming a sub would fit somewhere adequate back there.

whether for wdst, or larger or smaller directs. for smaller speaks that only do well to 60hz or above, i'd wire thru the sub. for larger towers, i'd wire the sub in parallel around surround towers from the surround terminals.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-22-2002 at 06:54 PM

skonopa,

I'm making a big compromise for center speaker. Would love to insert one of my full range Heritage as center. But unwilling to get another TV/Monitor or spring for a projector/screen set-up. Especially considering I plan to purchase another home at or near retirement time. Just don't figure the return on any remodeling cost would make it worthwhile here.

The Big Center upgrade will definitely be apart of my new home plans when selecting my retirement digs.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-22-2002 at 06:53 PM