Looking for University SA-HF drivers

Guy Landau

Man oh man, they have really gone skyward lately. I think I paid a combined total of $40 for the last 4 I purchased from e-pay within the last year.

Keep your eyes 'peeled'. Oftentimes, they will not be listed as SAHF's, but rather when people have PA horns (M*A*S*H looking things) the driver is sometimes the SAHF. The last two I got were like that, neat thing was that they were mated with the 'flange to threaded' adapters, and the horns themselves, with the middle removed, doubled as a lampshade for the dog to keep it from chewing the stitches in it's *** received by one mean kitty.

------------------

Ed

"I have 5 of these drivers.They are JUNK.They sound like SH*T."

Now, there's an interesting perspective. We're all entitled to our opinion, guess that's why we're here in the first place. However, you've peaked my curiousity, John. Can you elaborate on precisely 'how', to you, they sound like SH*T.

I have spent many hours swapping SAHF's and K55V's and M's in and out of K500, K400 and 511B horns. I've tried in vain to convince myself that the reason I liked the SAHF better was out of some misguided loyalty towards the really old Klipschorns. But no matter what angle I approach it, the clear winner everytime in every setting is the SAHF. I've even went so far as to stack like horns on a 'mock' Cornwall, one with a SAHF, the other with a K55, and had my 12 year old daughter A/B until she couldn't take it anymore. SAHF all the way.

To me, the SAHF is more open sounding and articulate. It seems to handle loud midrange with a 'wink and a nod', practically begging for more all the while imparting serious ribcage vibration. The K55 in comparison sounds 'muffled' and dimure.

Just my assessment, was curious about what aspect(s) of the SAHF you were disappointed with.

------------------

Ed

Driver prices on eBay are interesting. One day they go for almost nothing. Some days prices go through the roof. I always like it when I am selling something and a couple of guys from south east asia get into a bidding war. Audio seems to be a big status thing there. And when they seem something they want, they are willing to spend what it takes to get it. Only advice I can give is hang tight and keep looking, an afforable pair will show up.

Ed,

Which tweeter do you prefer, 4401 or K-77 (T35A)?

I have decided to stop trying to modify my Klipschorns.

I have just bought a pair of JBL L300 speakers and connected them to my system.The result is that the L300 are better than the Khorns in almost every aspect and since looks are important to me as well I won't ruin the klipsch looks by trying different drivers/horns/tweeters and listen to them as they are now with my type A crossover,and just switch between the L300 and the Khorns whenever I'm in a mood for a change.

At the moment,the JBL L300 are my main speakers.

Ed-

A long as you compare one turd to another (SA-HF vs. K55X) then you really won't hear that much of a difference. After all they're phenolic diaphragms, do you really expect them to sound much different???

I no longer try to convince people that these puny little drivers are junk, if you like them then listen to them. the SA-HF is *Tropicalized* too!!

A high quality hi-output mid direct radiator like a JBL 2012H/J or 2123H/J sounds better to me. Multiple driver arrays just get better. The sensitivities are high and, with the right wiring, can match the output of a Klipschorn folded unit. Pianos sound like pianos, vocals are reproduced with spooky realism. Power handling get into the kW range. I can listen for hours with no fatigue. 30 minutes with a stock Klipschorn gives me a headache. Four 2012s come to $1000....good midrange doesn't come cheap, especially when you have to bi-amp, and buy hi output tweeters like 2024s.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 08-25-2002 at 06:46 PM

Malcolm - While to me they both have areas to improve upon, my preference is the 4401. To me, the T35 (K77) is very harsh and shrill. I like the upper end extension abilities, but oftentimes this sounds like 'scratchiness'. Additionally, there are some CD's that the T35 renders absolutely unlistenable to me. One that sticks out in my mind is "Yes - 90125". This is a good CD (on my system) to ferret out shrieking tweets. Even at moderate levels, something happens during the course of listening where the tweeter achieves this shrill ring that will not stop. When I swapped in the 4401, nothing but clean upper end.

The 4401 on the other hand, simply sounds more musical and natural to me. My assessment of it's limitations are primarily that it is has an upper limit of 15K (rating accoring to University). I think that this accounts for some of the negative press on this BB regarding this unit. However, in reality, things like cymbal crashes sound more natural on the 4401 than the 'artificial air' that the T35 produces (to me). I'm not saying that the T35 does not sound good when a cymbal crashes, just not as natural. Lately, I've installed a vintage Jensen RP302 supertweeter in my center Belle, replacing the 4401 that was there previously. Personally, I have not heard a tweeter that blends better than this little guy. It has all the musical qualities of the 4401 and unlimited extension. Basically, the best of both tweeters. It sounds natural all throughout it's range and passes the "Yes" test without breaking stride. Same efficiency with a 'mini salad bowl' horn, it is as striking visually as it is audibly. If you are lucky enough to run across one of these jewels for a decent price (anything under $250 for a single is very decent), I recommend you try it out. Here's what they look like (if the upload worked....)

John - Never did I state that the SAHF or the K55x were the best mid-drivers money could buy. Clearly there are high end drivers that would take the sound up another level.....if you want to pay. But these were never 'stock' drivers 'tested and approved by Klipsch and Associates', and the question/thread was regarding these two units. My opinion was not intended to be the 'end all' comparison, but rather my take on the differences between two Klipsch approved mid-drivers. I have to disagree however with your assessment that I wouldn't hear that much difference between the 'two turds'. The 'old turd' has a solid sound whilst the 'recent turd' is....well mushy.....not all phenolic diaphragms sound the same. What is *Tropicalized*?

------------------

Ed

Phenolic drivers are prone to fungal attack. The fungus eats the resin in the diaphragm.

A fungicide is applied to the assembly before install. It is dipped in the solution and then dried. the SA-HF, MA-25, SA-30, PA-HF and PA-50s were all treated. University coined the term *Tropicalized* to denote operation high humidity environments where fungus is a problem. These are Public and Stadium Address drivers designed for outdoor use.

Millions of SA-HF drivers were made by University.

The SA-HF was designed by Sid Levy of University in 1944. It was the first driver to use the cast Alnico

W-magnet assembly.

Huh??? Great insight John. Fungus, eh? So I wonder how one would tell if their driver was compromised by some sort of fungal invasion. Naturally, here in sunny CA, the dry air is not condusive to fungal cultivation, but you all in FLA...and there are plenty of you out there...better *Tropicalize* your K55's! NOW you're wishing you had SAHF's to combat this insidious menace.

Does the treatment affect the sound at all? Or should I simply stop my kids/dogs/wife from sticking the driver in their mouths?

------------------

Ed

• 4 months later...

I guess I respectfully disagree also with the idea the University driver is crap. When looking at the Atlas K55 vs. the University SA-HF, the university is a much sweeter sounding driver. While maybe for stage volume or something the Atlas will outperform the University, I feel the university has a much sweeter sound, especially with tube equipment. I have a set on Ebay now which is an extra pair I have been hording. I am also in love with the 4401 - the early KHorns with these drivers are the absolute best in my book, and that is from years of experience with the entire Klipsch line - old and new. I do agree though it has alot to do with what you are uing them for. Tube amps though in a listening environment and these older drivers sing like a bird.

Thanks,

Mike