what should i do???

TheEye

I've been reading the forum for awhile now and I really enjoy it! Biggrin.gif

With that out of the way, I have a question even though I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be...

Well I have the RF-5, RC3II, RS3II, and the KSW12 on

layaway at a local klipsch dealer! I should have them out by X-mas...I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on everything.

RF-5's...$1060 pr RS-3II...$379 pr

RC-3II...$259 KSW12 ...$389

The problem is the sub... I read all the posts about how great the svs subs are and it makes me want one instead! But I'm on a tight budget (hints layaway) and I had a heck of a time convincing the wife to get this stuff in the first place (hints layaway). Are the svs subs really worth the extra money, begging,and maybe even doing with out a sub to save for one??? I know people say the KSW is sluggish and boomy but for the price I'm paying is it a good deal?? When I listened to it I didn't think it sounded to bad, but couldn't compare it with anything. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!

hey, I own one of the RSW-15's, and have to say I love it. I can't say much about the SVS because I haven't been able to just sit down with one and listen to what I want with it besides what the sales people show you. I think the RSW-15 would be a great choice, especially because you can get them for about 1200 from a store called www.acousticsounddesign.com . I really don't think they KSW-12 will keep up with the RF-5's, just my personal opinion. But, if you think it's good enough, you could always just use that. Theres nothing that says you have to upgrade.

------------------

-Trevor

TheEye,

TheEar says better performance is worth the extra investment.And if you want the most sub bass for the least $$$,SVS is the way to go.

At least get a SVS CS-Plus in the mid sized cylinder,both impact and plenty of deep bass.

RSW15 will work great too,but will cost more and you will still get less sub bass.

TheEAR(s) NOw theears

TheEye,

I would definately hold out for the SVS sub. The difference will be like night and day. For bass that's not muddy, harsh or boomy, just firm and natural and very pleasing, beg, borrow, buy or steal SVS. (Just kidding on the stealing part). Save your pennies, SVS are very reasonable and you'll be getting 10 times the performace over the KSW-12 for only a few pennies more.

Take care

Rick

(A confirmed SVS sub-maniac)cwm14.gif

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

Rick,

I don't think your kidding about stealing...

HEHEHE!!!

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

Thanks for the input!!! I figured that would be the answer. My wife went for it but I have to wait on the sub for a liitle longer than the rest of the system. I know it will be worth it though.

So now which should i go for??? I'm in the military so I'm going to be moving pretty often, I won't have a set size room, and remember I've got the budget...

I was looking at the svs pci 25-31..$499

and the pci 20-49..$549

TheEAR was saying to look into the cs plus 25-31..$479

What is the diffence between them? The built in amp?

I'm not one for outrageous bass, I don't like to over power everything else... and the RSW's are diffenintly out of the price range. The PCI 20-49 is about all the size and price I would be able to handle. But I would like your opinions. THEY ARE VALUED!!!!

Eye, I have twin SVS 25-31cs+'s on the way. Reasons I went with the smaller ones was concealability. The 16-49 is 49 inches tall. I demoed a pair of these monsters and they are very impressive but will be harder to hide if you want to keep them (or even one) from standing out visually. The are also bigger to handle if you move alot. The PCi's have a built in amp and crossover system that will help out with your moving situation as well since you won't need another amp etc. I run a Paradigm PW-2200 right now. It is a great sub for the money but it will not come close to dishing out what the SVS's are capable of in my open floorplan. If you are not sure about SVS check out the Paradigms. I imagine mine will be for sale shortly. As far as the KSW subs go, personally I think they suck. My parents have one an it is just a boom box, nothing more. You can do much better without breaking your budget than the KSW subs. And that is coming from a 10 year Klipsch owner and lover! Love those horns!

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Jamo in wall surrounds

Paradigm PW-2200 sub

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066

Yamaha DVD carosel

RCA Hi-Fi VCR (hardly used anymore)

Sony Trinitron 36"

I second the vote for a SVS 25-31PCi. Smallest. most portable, and least expensive sub they offer (amplified), but still offers plenty of punch. You won't be disappointed! If you want to save even more, keep a close eye on the SVS B-stock listings - they tend to go quickly, but if you're perserverent (and lucky) you may find one. I did! Also keep in mind that the SVS summer sale prices will not be around much longer (ends sometime in mid-September, I think), so it may cost you to wait past then....good luck!

TheEye,

How would you apportion your listening habits between music and HT? If its 90% music, and you will be moving often, and you are on a budget, I personally dont think the KSW-12 is such a bad choice. With listening levels that arent stratospheric, the KSW can add some valuable lower end to your mains. If on the other hand you will be watching a lot of DVDs and you like it pretty loud, then you better spend the bucks and upgrade. Just my humble opinion. Good luck.

Dan

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4638"sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp