attic subwoofer

prodj101

Hey, I'm kicking my self because I didn't bookmark this website so you guys can see the pictures. There was a guy who cut wholes in his ceiling up to the attic, and put 4 18 inch subs in there, and tuned it down to 15 hz! now thats an amazing sub. the only problem is what do you do if you find something better?

------------------

-Trevor

Hey, you best be finding that site for all of us!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I believe the design is referred to as "infinite baffle" design and I remember seeing pics that are probably the pics to which you are referring. It was pretty interesting. If you can do a search with "infinite baffle" you probably will find it.

Dan

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4638"sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp

Ohh basement!

150 dB. at .1 Hz. with a 4" woofer!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Yep, infinite baffles are mondo cool. don't quite understand this tuning though as IB subs are not supposed to be ported. Did he LT it to an F3 of 15hz or something?

Anyways for those interested here's the place to go for IB info.

http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

The link is to a forum dedicated to IB subs. Note the two links at the top though. One is a picture gallery of many different IB installs, the other is an FAQ with an answer to pretty much every important question about an IB sub.

Put four of Adire's new Tumult drivers (has twice the Vd of a SVS TV12 driver) in an IB with a Linkwitz Transform that gets the Q up around 0.5 and the F3 under 20hz, add a nice parametric EQ and you will have an unbelievable sub. Say $1200-$1600 for the drivers, $500-$1000 for the amp and another couple hundred for a nice EQ. You'll have a sub that could compete with 8 SVS Ultras for output and also very few subs could compete with its' sound quality Smile.gif

This message has been edited by Dustin B on 08-24-2002 at 01:06 AM

That would be ThomasW. He is the guy running that forum I linked to above. Picks of his "Twelve Shivas Dancing" IB are on that site. The box is extremely strong and uses a floor jack to ensure a solid bond to the floor of the above listening room (his basement isolates the front wave from the back). He has it wired as a pair of 3ohm loads driven by a two channel pro amp with less than 200W a channel and can still do well in excess of 120dB down into the last octave.