PS4 Help Parental Controls

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

Have a new PS 4, and a 14 year old boy.

He wants PS4 Plus, which looks like multiplayer mode with complete strangers over the internet.

It asks about a monthly spending limit, he has his own pS4 giftcards he received.

The parental controls for main account let you block chatting which I did, block who can see and look people up.

We found out we were already bamboozled, I set age restriction for 16 and it wouldn't let him play Tom Clancy game because it was M. Set it to setting that would allow M, and that was 17 and up. Turns out all the cool games with violence and guns are M.

Need some help and guidance here.

The really good games are usually M. That is where all the money and effort in game development is. My son is 12 and we limit game time to 1 hour per day. He plays games with friends from school about 90% of the time. Every once in a while he does play Destiny with a stranger(s) but to be honest there has not been a single issue with these other players. IMHO a 14 yr old needs to be informed and well versed on how to handle strangers in life anyway. At 15 I had a job working 20 hours a week at a grocery store. 

• Like 1

I was working at 12, but it was a way different world back then.

I hate to say this but the world hasn't changed................

I just asked my son about issues on this topic. He said "I had one guy that cussed every other word. I reported him to Administration and he was kicked out of the game".

I specifically asked if he had ever been asked inappropriate questions, stalked or quizzed about who he was or his location, etc. His answer "never has happened". 

My wife and I have tried to empower our son against evil from strangers wherever he may find it. That is the only way to protect them I believe. Your 14 year old may very well be driving around town in a year + with no parental controls when confronted with a stranger. Educate, educate, educate is my advice. That is the best defense IMHO.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

• Moderators

You are obviously not Catholic, you can only educate against what dangers are known, and I know that I know nothing about what danger is lurking out there on PS4-financial, fraud or otherwise. I am just not aware of what all the scams are on PS4 players.

I like the one hour limit. Dave or USNRet mentioned a system of reading for minutes, which has worked very well.

• Moderators

Maybe I just read too much onto stuff like this (from Forbes magazine):

Paul Tassi

Following Friday night’s terrorist attacks in Paris which killed at least 127 people and left more than 300 injured, authorities are discovering just how the massacre was planned. And it may involve the most popular gaming console in the world, Sony’s PlayStation 4.

The hunt for those responsible (eight terrorists were killed Saturday night, but accomplices may still be at large) led to a number of raids in nearby Brussels. Belgian federal home affairs minister Jan Jambon has said outright that the PS4 is used by ISIS agents to communicate, and was selected due to the fact that it’s notoriously hard to monitor. “PlayStation 4 is even more difficult to keep track of than WhatsApp,” he said.

When the new generation of consoles launched, there were concerns that they would be too light on privacy, with peripherals like Microsoft’s Kinect and PlayStation’s Camera possibly having the ability to spy on users if say, the government wanted a window into your living room."

So the PS4 has a built in camera?

• Moderators

So the PS4 has a built in camera?

No. It has a separate camera, similar to the Kinect, that you can purchase and pair. It does not have anything built in though.

Ok, that is great to know. I keep reading stuff about cameras, and things related, like a couple being banned from PS something for undressing on camera. I was wondering about that.

What is Kinect, and what is the camera for in connection with multiplayer gaming? To see the distress on your opponent's face as you are beating the pants off him?

During the set up I saw stuff about "face recognition for log in, I am guessing this is only if you have bought camera option?

Yes as there's no way for it to recognize without the camera. Kinect & the PS camera are to play using motion control rather than controllers. Obviously they can be used in other ways, but that was the primary intent...they were meant to compete with the Wii motion controls.
  • Like 1