Enough With The SVS CS Ultras Already!

DillonW

I am so sick and tired of hearing about those SVS Ultras! It all started with that "Oh HornEd One" going on and on about how he was getting one of the first batch of these sub systems. He kept checking the mail every day, waiting for their arrival, like it was some kind of secret decoder ring! When they finally arrived and were given their first test drive, "Oh my gosh!" That brown stuff really hit the fan then! The reviews poured in with glowing praises, better than sliced bread! Member after member has succumbed to the Ultra lure, followed by positive after positive review. Since that day, I have been suffering from extreme dehydration, the most common symptom of excessive drooling. There is only one known cure for this disease, a 7 tower in the corner of my living room. I NEED SOME TOO!!! I have been faithfully saving my pennies, but my therapy for this issue is slowing the savings process. So until I am able to make this purchase, please contain your excitement when commenting on the SVS Ultras. Words like awesome; incredible; best ever; amazing; and super sub bass, should be avoided. They will only contribute to the warping of my hardwood floors due to large saliva pools. I thank you for your support!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Walnut Belles

Center: Black KLF C7

Rear Center: None Yet

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

Cheers DW, being a Klipsch owner it's surprising to see the space SVS takes up on the board. Don't take me wrong folks, I believe in what people state about the sub. I even emailed TomV about my Klipsch and SVS. He actually recommended dual Paradigm 2200's stacked for my Khorns. SVS does rock(safe assumption from that much fedback).

I own a Velodyne FSR-18 and couldn't be happier Smile.gif

Good to see you back on the forum, Dillon! I had the Velo CT-150, and I found it inadequate for my Cornwall II's - good for HT, poor for 2 channel. Too slow! I could not afford the SVS, but I did luck out and score two JBL Pro theater woofer cabinets when they sold off excess stock at the tent sale (damn near free). The speed and power of such subbage really makes a difference!

Dillon, I can assure you that your diligence and patience will pay off. Stay the course! When you finally get the pair of SVS Ultras, you'll be in sub heaven!

All good things in all good timecwm9.gif

Scuba Colin,

"my preference has changed from depth to whallop ..."

All I have to say is I have BOTH Smile.gif

The best compromise is the Revel B15,goes deep with awesome power and has slam of the RSW15! He he

Last night I did listen to a few music DVD's and all I have to say is WOW,amazed again by the quality and slam of my HT systems.No regrets

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Sorry Dillon, SVS suck, don't get them, if you do you'll be sorry, or at least the foundation of your house will LOL.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

boomer9911- When I bought my Velo, I had the chance at the PW-2200 for the same price. The only one I had a chance to demo was the CT-150, so I went with that. Hindsight 20/20. I want earth shattering bass for HT. Put away that silly SPL meter, I want something with seismic intensity that registers on the Richter scale.

dndphishin- Thanks! I hope to be around awhile, but may have to leave again in December. The positive side is it may give me the extra cash I need to get the twins!

Colin- If music were my primary purpose, I might consider the RSW-15, but for HT, it seems to come up a bit short.

TheEar- I had not heard about the Revel, but did a little research since you mentioned it. Unfortunatly my budget will be tested with the Ultras, which elimininates other more expensive options.

NOZ- Thanks, just the kind of encouragement I needed to hear, except for the last comment... Now you have me drooling again!

Damn Justin, That was a low blow! Funny but low!

Just got my dual 25-31cs+'s this week. All I can say is WOW!!!! I have hit 112 db on Matrix and 115 db on the pod race from Phantom Menace last night. The subs make my back yard vibrate! Had a PW-2200 but I think it is time to sell it, It just can't come close to the SVS's. By the way, the SVS's are much better with music than I thought they would be as well. Hope this doesn't hurt too bad Dillon!! Did I say WOW yet?

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Klipsch KG 1.5 surrounds

Jamo rear centers

Dual SVS 25-31 CS+'s

Samson 1000 Amp

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066 Amp

Yamaha 969 DVD carosel

RCA Hi-Fi VCR (hardly used anymore)

Sony Trinitron 36"

Justin, You've got to lay off that stuff your smokin'!! SVS=Bose bass cube.......No F'N Way

By the way, the room on your web site looks like it will be kick ***!

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Klipsch KG 1.5 surrounds

Jamo rear centers

Dual SVS 25-31 CS+'s

Samson 1000 Amp

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066 Amp

Yamaha 969 DVD carosel

RCA Hi-Fi VCR (hardly used anymore)

Sony Trinitron 36"

Yeah it should rock. Too bad we can not get the contracotrs back to do much more than what is done there till November! Stupid HT Designers took another project, probably because our was not $1,000,000 like Tillman Ferteeda's... He built a spereate house, >3000 square feet, for his Home Theater. I have been in it Smile.gif His house is 24,000 square feet! Ouch.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Alas, DillonW, sometimes beauty is in the ear of the beholder... may you find "salivation salvation" in the form of adequate subwoofage. Take heart, if you can cultivate a taste for "boomerism"... and, thus, you can chalk up the Ultra as an "boomer underachiever."

Then, again, you can get into "directional sub-woofage" which comes from harmonics above 80Hz that add more paunch than punch... and once again the SVS will be found wanting. You could become a servo fanatic... after all, servos contribute a lot to subwoofers (hmmm, love that Velo HGS 18!)... especially the price.

On this point, though, the ice gets a bit thin, for the Ultras are the most servo-like subs I've heard. And, if you add the high quality with the relatively low price, one can understand your watery wonderment.

Anyone who has read many of my posts knows that I am clearly in the Klipsch corner... I even like the RSW-15 for its musical prowess. With a couple of dozen Klipsch speakers in the house and motorhome, Klipsch corporate doesn't doubt my enthusiasm for their products. Buying five Klipsch subs BEFORE my first SVS is an indication of that. So, it is almost embarrassing for me to be an advocate for SVS Ultras. I actually tend to downplay my enthusiasm for my 7' Dual Ultra Tower... but when I am called out by name... I am compelled to tell it like it is.

To my ear, Twin Ultras are the most natural extension of my Klipsch primary speakers (whether we are talking about the HT KLF-30's or the Music Systems Klipschorns. Transparent bass that reaches down to about 16Hz and produces Reference Level Bass that handles the full spectrum (121.5 dB at 20Hz) any Dolby Disk can hand out. Now, if your ear is like mine, I guess you are either going to have to win the lottery or use Pampers for a bib! cwm32.gif -HornED

PS: I hope you win the lottery... than you can find out for yourself that the only "brown stuff" was in the post that started this thread! I took a chance on buying a pair of the first batch of SVS Ultras because of the comments from SVS owners across the Internet... and the candid answers I received from Tom Vodhanel... who is also a Klipsch enthusiast.

PPS: TomV has a great respect for cost effectiveness. I'll bet his recommendation for our Canadian Boomer to buy a pair of Paradigm 2200's was based on the low price that is available to Canadians buying Canadian built speakers... and all the extra taxes that Canadians must pay for anything made in Hope, USA. The price difference for Canadians is staggering... but price issue aside, SVS would still my choice.

------------------

Pic6.jpg

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-31-2002 at 01:06 AM

Well said HornEd,

You should be a writer, how are you doing anyways?

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

Hiya Ed -

Heard that Your SVS configuration was going to be used as the DVD screen saver for the LOTR sequel - The Dark Tower - Once again - I'm glad you are back and in good humor. BTW - Where's my present? My friends usually bring me back presents after their trips..Just kidding

Sadly, I have to up my "woofage" in slow doses. Still waiting on the mini heater.

This message has been edited by cluless on 08-30-2002 at 09:04 PM

Thanks for the complement, NOZ... it is almost a half-century since I had a byline in the San Francisco Examiner as a teenager. One of my teammates that got a lot of ink in those days was a guy we called "Red" for his carrot-top mane... that is now snow white atop Monday Night Football's John Madden.

In these awkward days when life is a day-to-day proposition, it is refreshing that some of the old verbal skills find their way into these less frequent posts. We Klipsch Forum Folk are fortunate for our average posts tend to be better written than most open forums. Better writing skills help crystallize better cognitive patterns... and encouraging youngsters to be better communicators through the written word should be a labor of love for us all.

Oh, and cluless, about your present, it seems to be entwined with Egg Head Township due to the understated manner by which you bring cogent humor to Flompy Doodle Doozies! So much for your present... your past is decidedly flamingo-esque. Now, as for your future... how can it be other than a "warm fuzzy water heater" to bring new depth to your Jersey Bounce.

Other than that, as many trips as I make, sending a "cluless" present after each one would require a whole new expense category... but it does sound like fun! Over the Labor Day weekend I am scheduled to do a photoshoot of two different events sixty miles apart. Fortunately, the WDST speakers you sold me are in place making motorhome life over the holidays all the more enjoyable. Now all I need is a "cat" to pounce on litter and provide a little warm fuzzy to my mobile world... since I am using a bald KSW instead of a fuzzy SVS.

Happy Labor Day one and all. -HornED

Thanks for all the great responses, justin_tx_16 I loved your cube comment. Although when I used your statement during one of my sessions, I was nearly forced into one of those stylish white canvas jackets with leather straps and shiny buckles! Fortunately I was able to prove my sanity by means of a voluntary polygraph. Just when I was beginning to convince myself that the twins were nothing more than a couple of carpet poles for cats to play with, I was forced to once again recognize the truth. I have found one thing though, for those who have yet to purchase their reference level bass. My wife has a big 14" Faberware frying pan, one with a really thick bottom. During big explosions, a few whacks upside the head with a pan like that will really make you feel like your right there! Since I bought the Belles, and forced them into our living room for rear effects, I think she actually takes some pleasure in providing this subwoofer enhancement.... but I have this constant ringing in my ears now which is a bit annoying. But hey, Klipsch on... its worth it! Thanks all, your great!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

................... Smash.gif

DONCHA cwm3.gif HEAR DEM BELLES, BILL???s>

Are you sure you have Klipsch Belle's in your rear array, DillonW or are you just hearing "Belles" because of one too many whacks on the noggin by a 14" Ultra/Farberware Subwoofer powered by THE WAF Armstrong 1,000 whump amp? -HornED

PS: I have been looking for a pair of Belles that would match my near-mint walnut center Belle... which would replace my vintage Cornwalls in my music system. How are the Belles working out for your rear array? -H.E

This message has been edited by HornEd on 09-04-2002 at 01:00 PM

Oh HornEd One, I absolutely LOVE the Belles for my rears! They seem less directional than the La Scalas and provide a better rear sound stage than the Chorus IIs. I just couldn't pass on them when I stumbled across them. Alas, the walnut does not match anything, and there size (wideness) makes them a bit visually overwhelming (I have them sitting on 24" tall end tables to keep them from being blocked by the furniture). Of course, the KLF C7 is just not capable of hanging with the other heritage pieces, so I tried one of my Chorus' at center. It was much better, but its just not oriented as a center. I am trying to get another pair of La Scalas to try at rear (WAF-oddly enough she likes the La Scalas), and may invert one of the Belles at center. I will have to part with my Chorus IIs, but to have all heritage at front, center, and rear would be sweet! The Chorus' were my first Klipsch experience so it will be difficult to see them go. If I had the space (and no 6,7, or 8-cornered room), I would have La Scala Mains, K-horn front effects (yea, I know that sound weird, but they would be wired for mains in 2-channel mode), Belle Center, and K-horn rears, with a Belle rear center. I REALLY like the rear sound stage provided by the Belles, she would prefer the La Scala. The up side is, with a little home woodshop construction, I get to keep a Belle for my center channel! If I could hang one from the ceiling, I would use one for my rear center. (I'm just afraid THE WAF Armstrong 1,000 whump amp might disengage its ACME suspension system and allow it to descend directly on my scull a.k.a. Wile E. Coyote).

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS