Finally starting my theatre room.

ryanm84

I moved in July and have been fixing a bunch of stuff around the house til now. So my wife and I have begun looking into getting the theatre room done.

The room is approximately 11 feet wide by 19 feet deep. There is nothing left from the previous owner equipment wise and it's been confirmed that the screen that was left is nothing more than a cheap fabric-no surprise considering...

First post will focus on speakers.

So I've received a bid (actually several from a local AV shop here) and we saw their showroom. My wife is sold on in-wall speakers behind the screen and surrounds in the walls and ceiling. So this system will be atmos ready upon completion. The problem that I have is that the speakers that are included in the bid are either Wisdom audio P4i and P2i in the top package and some combination of B&W in all other bids. While I heard both, the biggest issue I have is price. I did a little checking at the respective websites and the specs don't seem in line with cost.

I've been looking at the THx2 in-walls. For those that have or have heard, what is your impression? Is it too much speaker for a space like mine? Suggestions for the 7 channels - like 7800 S THX for LCR...and ? For surrounds? Is there a specific in-ceiling that mates with THX in walls?

I'm sure there are more questions since I'm just starting. Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

First of all, welcome to the forum. 

I personally have never been a fan of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.  There is always a trade off when you do not have a dedicated cabinet for the speaker.  If you are using an AT Screen, IMO, there is no reason not to go with floorstanding or at least large bookshelf speakers. 

I personally tend to buy used gear as I save a ton of money and end up getting better speakers in the process.

Not sure where you are in Arizona but this would be a sweet setup and would absolutely blow any in-walls away - Link

Here is a pair of RF-82 for only $200 - Link Nevermind....I see it's only a single RF-82, not a pair.

Is it too much speaker for a space like mine?

My room is only slightly larger than yours (13' x 19' with 10' ceilings) and I have (3) LaScalas, (3) RSW-15's and (4) RS-62ii).  You are in the wrong forum if you are asking the question "Is something too much for a room".  :lol:

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-3.JPG

Home-Theater-Rear-Wall.jpg

As a side note, my 17yr old son has RF-7's with an RC-64ii in his 9' x 9' bedroom and we in no way feel it is too much speaker for the room.

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RC-64ii-2.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

Youth - I already knew about too much for a room!

This is my chance to get the theatre up and running while my wife goes another year without a new car so her opinion is weighing heavy in this move. I love your scalas for the LCR! I can only imagine what you get to listen to all the time.

I think I can overcome a bit of the in-wall vs standard cabinet with 7.2.4 and a pretty dead sounding room. That said the equipment and install time/$ make me want to be sure of options and decisions.

• Moderators
This is my chance to get the theatre up and running while my wife goes another year without a new car so her opinion is weighing heavy in this move.

I totally understand.  Just curious....what is her reasoning behind wanting inwalls behind a false wall?  I'm guessing it's not aesthetics because they will not be seen.  If it's price, what is your budget for speakers?  There are tons of options in the used market.  I've owned almost every speaker in the original Reference Series and honestly, just about every one I have enjoyed.  You can get amazing sound even from the smaller RF-3ii's.  My other concern with in-wall's is you are pretty much set once you install them.  Not much you can upgrade without patching drywall and possibly running new speaker wires.  Just trying to give you a different point of view with some things to consider.

speaker-list-01-08-16.jpg

• Moderators
I did a little checking at the respective websites and the specs don't seem in line with cost.

My guess is you will pay extra for the "convenience" of in-wall / in-ceiling speakers.

Would she consider doing in-wall / in-ceiling only for the surrounds?  If she is dead set on in-walls, I wouldn't press it but if it's an option, I believe you would be MUCH more satisfied with bookshelf or floor standing speakers up front. 

The problem that I have is that the speakers that are included in the bid are either Wisdom audio P4i and P2i in the top package and some combination of B&W in all other bids. While I heard both, the biggest issue I have is price. I did a little checking at the respective websites and the specs don't seem in line with cost.

I realize this is a Klipsch forum and I have zero vested interest in saying this, if anything the opposite, but to be honest, Wisdom Audio in general is known among those in the know as about the least fatiguing speaker company out there.  I'm not talking about what random forum members recommend, I'm talking rock stars of the industry such as Chris Seymour.  Frequency response isn't what you're paying for.  To be honest, those are their cheap speakers.  I wouldn't brush them off, even the expensive ones aren't going to have measurements that are going to justify the price.  Try to listen to them if at all possible.  

I personally have never been a fan of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.  There is always a trade off when you do not have a dedicated cabinet for the speaker.  If you are using an AT Screen, IMO, there is no reason not to go with floorstanding or at least large bookshelf speakers. 

Assuming you have a ginormous area behind the screen, sure, but if you had to stay slim and had to choose between quality in-walls and a horizontal center or three underneath the screen, I'd be looking at the in-walls real hard.  Just because they're in-walls doesn't mean they're enclosure-less either, you can build your own in the studs, which is what Wisdom seemingly recommends, and some even come with their own enclosures, such as James and Episode.  James in-walls are nice enough that when you order a tower from them, they're basically their in-walls in a tower footprint, netting you pretty much the same performance, it's not really an upgrade in sound.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Her reasoning is that the room will feel tight with seating and then surrounds and front speakers all over the place. I wouldn't disagree in principle but I wouldn't care.

I agree with in-wall...it's work to swap out speakers with drywall and possible re wiring. Especially since the room requires a rewire anyway for 7 speakers.i really think she likes the idea of the speakers just blending in behind the screen and grilles being painted wall color. She pointed that out a few times while we were looking.

The problem that I have is that the speakers that are included in the bid are either Wisdom audio P4i and P2i in the top package and some combination of B&W in all other bids. While I heard both, the biggest issue I have is price. I did a little checking at the respective websites and the specs don't seem in line with cost.

I realize this is a Klipsch forum and I have zero vested interest in saying this, if anything the opposite, but to be honest, Wisdom Audio in general is known among those in the know as about the least fatiguing speaker company out there.  I'm not talking about what random forum members recommend, I'm talking rock stars of the industry such as Chris Seymour.  Frequency response isn't what you're paying for.  To be honest, those are their cheap speakers.  I wouldn't brush them off, even the expensive ones aren't going to have measurements that are going to justify the price.  Try to listen to them if at all possible.

I heard them and they sounded fine. The price seemed high.

I've heard lots of positives of B&W too. Slightly less price wise and I heard them too.

Her reasoning is that the room will feel tight with seating and then surrounds and front speakers all over the place. I wouldn't disagree in principle but I wouldn't care.

I agree with in-wall...it's work to swap out speakers with drywall and possible re wiring. Especially since the room requires a rewire anyway for 7 speakers.i really think she likes the idea of the speakers just blending in behind the screen and grilles being painted wall color. She pointed that out a few times while we were looking.

It sounds like you don't have a false wall situation.  If so, at least get a VERTICAL center behind your screen such as with a quality in-wall at the minimum, with timbre matched towers.  You'll kick yourself later if you don't.  If you have a false wall then go three identical LCR's in their own enclosure, at the correct height.  

• Moderators

Even if you went with all in-wall's, you will will have more than the vast majority of people have, plus you have a dedicated HT which is awesome!  Hopefully I didn't come across as being negative....just didn't wanted to offer other options to consider.

I've been looking at the THx2 in-walls. For those that have or have heard, what is your impression? Is it too much speaker for a space like mine? Suggestions for the 7 channels - like 7800 S THX for LCR...and ? For surrounds? Is there a specific in-ceiling that mates with THX in walls?

Any of the THX offerings should play together well enough.  Just be aware that THX in general has a dry and accurate sound with not much bass response compared to Reference.  They are very accurate and nice for speech on movies, but don't have the high end shimmer and low end slam that many expect for music.  If you cross over at 80 hz they would be fine and would work great on movies, just don't expect them to go much below that and be powerful when doing so.  James is kind of the same way on the high end though, very accurate, some people just don't care for that sound believe it or not.  

Youth-no negativity at all. I look to some of the more experienced people here as a fountain of knowledge and respect opinions and the paths you all have taken.

No false wall situation. The theatre room was an addition and shares 2 common walls including the one with the screen with the existing house. most likely scenario is a shared 2x4 wall with existing structure. The rom itself seems solidly built. There is no Echo and the height with 2 platforms for 2 levels of seating is still over 7 feet so I think atmos will be ok.

I wonder if the Gallery line with in-ceiling speakers would be a nice options.  I have been in a dedicated  Atmos  HT room and it sounded great.  Also, great floor management with in-wall/in-ceiling speakers.  We all make compromises in one place or another in most HT.  Keep her happy and HT changes down the road will be a lot smoother. :)

My first home theater in my previous house was in a room almost that exact size.  I had 3 FORTE 2s across the front a 95" screen and RS3s for surrounds a JBL B460 sub hid by the side of the couch.  It was tight and a compromise but it rocked.  If it was not my main system to crank my music, I could have easily lived with lesser in wall speakers and a cleaner room.  At the time and even now I guess I need a system that will play very loud and clear.  You appear to have a Cornwall system so you may have that covered.  Are you DIYing it or are the bids you received for a finished room?  There is so much how to info out there now that pretty much anyone can build their own theater, save money, and end up with a better finished product than letting a contractor that needs to make a profit do it.  There are pros that do incredible work but they are very expensive.

The cornwalls are in my living room and not part of this room. The bids are for a couple reasons-a comprehensive list of materials and options across several price points. Also to see what cost for a finished product. I built custom homes for seven years at the end of high school thru college so drywall, electricity, painting , etc isn't difficult. Patience and time to make this NOT be a year long project are the main drivers.

Youth-no negativity at all. I look to some of the more experienced people here as a fountain of knowledge and respect opinions and the paths you all have taken.

No false wall situation. The theatre room was an addition and shares 2 common walls including the one with the screen with the existing house. most likely scenario is a shared 2x4 wall with existing structure. The rom itself seems solidly built. There is no Echo and the height with 2 platforms for 2 levels of seating is still over 7 feet so I think atmos will be ok.

I just think you'd be perfectly happy with in-walls assuming you got quality ones and blended with your subs nicely. Three identical and quality in-walls behind the screen would sound way better than most people's setups.

You're going to have to use subs and cross them over halfway high though. That hasn't been mentioned here yet. Don't let your wife think she can get in-walls and nothing else, especially if you go with THX. :)