Tubes for Life!

space_cowboy

As some of you know, I got the little ASL Wave 8 mono blocks and the AQ2004DT preamp. Realized I've just stepped into the never come back world. WOW, have been having a blast playing everything from Adam Ant to Weather Report. My rig is dog meat compared to most of ya'll, but I love it, these little tubes rock; it can only get better. Just heard Deodato doing "Peter Gunn", pure nasty, gotta love it. Off to listen to Lalo Schifrin original soundtracks of Mission Impossible and Mannix; don't laugh, good tunes.

Mark

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

PreAmp - ASL AQ2004DT

Amp - ASL Wave 8 mono blocks

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

I have read somewhere that this kit was the same as the Wave monoblocks, except ion stereoblock format. Is this true? I have had my eye on this kit for a while... actually two of these kits for my KG's. Hack, maybe three- I could hook up two centers then and have 6.1. lol Unfortunately, by the time I buy three tube amps and a processor, I could have just bought a good receiver to use... now I am confused...

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

The kit you are looking at is not the same as the Wave. It uses different tubes. Without seeing the schematic, I can't say if it is similar.

I;ll sell you a pair of Waves, with covers, cords and a spare set of "matched" tubes for $200. They have about 10 hours on them.

John

What is the vintage alternative to a Denon 3802 receiver? I have Cornwalls and will be adding Heresy center and surrounds for music and HT.

One idea was to buy used Carver M1.5 amps and a modern surround processor.

Another is tube amps.

Either way to get the modern surround sound processing plus power for 5 speakers and a sub it seems the receiver is a notably lower price. Of course I'm asking because I really don't know what the options are commpared to a modern receiver.

Should I look beyond a modern A/V receiver? How much should I expect to budget and what would the benefits be? I don't have the "tube amp sealed in liquid nitrogen, position my body and head in a dental chair for listening frame of mind". Do I really want to think outside the "box"?

From all reports from those I trust, the WAVES are a neat little amp that is a great value for the extremely low price paid. I dont know of cheaper monoblocks one can get new from any manufacturer. That being said, they do not create miracles and are still bettered by other tube offerings, some not that more expensive (although I know of no better NEW deal to get into tubes on the cheap). To appreciate these amps, you must see it in the context although they are reportedly amazing for what they do offer. The do, however, respond to some upgrades, many which have been documented. On the other hand, if it were me, I would opt for something a bit higher on the food chain if you can swing the price. Ditto with the EICO HF-85 preamp although it would be an interesting unit to have for a second system. Expect parts replacement if you pick one up, however.

Still, for those wanting to taste tubes, the WAVES are a great inexpensive option to step into the waters.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-26-2002 at 05:01 AM