One more SPL ?

Fordman

Me too! Anyone near Bethlehem, PA who is already adept at using one of these things?

I have a test DVD on order, so I plan on learning all about this process over the next week or so. HOWEVER, I would love to have someone who already knows what they are doing help me get set-up correctly to begin with. Then I can gradually learn while knowing the system is how it should be.

PLEASE!?

Fordman, I agree that the manual is not at all helpful. The tutorial I found on the web (SVS site) was helpful, but still seems to assume more user knowledge than I currently possess. You might also want to consider one of the several set-up DVD's that are available. Amazon.com and eBay have them for sale. I think someone listed them in your other thread.

If you have a camera tripod, mount the RS meter on it and put it at your listening position, at ear level. If not, just put it as close to your listening position as possible.

Point the microphone at the ceiling at about a 45 degree angle. Set the dial on 70, which means when the needle points to 0 it is hearing 70 db's. If the needle points to -3, you are hearing 67 db's, and so forth.

Use a test disk, or your receiver's test tones, to adjust all channel levels to 75 db (85db if using the Avia disk). First, just put the test tone out of one speaker, then adjust the receiver volume until you are at 75db/85db. Make a note of the volume setting for future reference.

Then, just progress through each speaker channel adjusting the channel level to 75/85db.

When you want to listen to movies at "reference" theater volume, return your receiver setting to where it was when you measured 75/85db and let 'er rip!

Doug

------------------

My System

The use of a RatShack meter is quite easy...Doug got most of the setup instructions, but here are a few more things to note.

1.) The RS meter is fairly stable when measuring the SPL from your main speakers, but is is not too stable when working with the sub. So don't worry, this is normal

2.) Make sure your background noise is at a minimium.

3.) When Calibrating your sub, the SPL meter is showing 3 db lower, then the proper value. Thus, if the meter reads 72 db, then the real value is 75 db.

4.) There are 2 switches on the meter, WEIGHTING & RESPONSE (I don't remember the exact names printed on the meter) Just be sure you have the Weighting set to "C" and the responce set to "slow"

Tripod-

I might be going to the Mountain Top, PA to look at an Amp in the next two weeks or so, so i might be able to stop in.....

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater