WATTS your Favorite FIRST WATT amp for khorns?

2Bmusic

This hobby / passion is all encompassing!   I have been voraciously reading everything I can find.

The path I have chosen is great speakers, then great amp, then on down the line.

I am at the amp part.  I think like Nelson Pass does, but admittedly I am no where near as laser focused on amplification. So in that realm I regard him as the the PWK of the amp world! Where others "flim flam" around,  Mr Pass, goes for the kill shot straight away.  To that end, It seems to me his accomplishments are truly with out equal.... indeed IMHO no other amp comes close to his.... at least that is what the time spent reading portends. 

With that said, please share your likes and dislikes of the NP's first watt products pouring into the khorns inputs!  I am trying to decide between the F5, F6, soon to be released F7, the Sit2 or even the sit1 should something come available on the used market.  I am also super interested the the XA30.8. I think the dot eight may be over-kill.......( for khorns).  Yes I have read every review I could find on them. ( more than once actually)  So other than your experience, I am relegated to buying and returns amps to Reno-hifi. 

?          ?

**WATT SAY YOU **

?

the subject is 1st Watt "exotica"  D I S C U S S !

Edited by 2Bmusic

Perhaps a brief recap of the different sound of the amps that' you've built/listened to might be useful to the OP, William?

I've only listened to the F3, and I've been listening full time for the past 2 years (more than 60 Hrs/week).  I find the sound to be very crisp, balanced, and neutral.  But I'm using drivers whose minimum impedance are 11 ohms (TAD TD-4002s) and the amp is direct coupled to via bi-amped Jubilees.

Chris

For you guys with First Watt power what preamps do you use, favor? SS active, passive like B1 or tube?

I'm using a good AVP--which I recommend because I can play multichannel recordings and movies in addition to stereo.

Chris

WD... if you had to choose the m2 vs the F6, you say the m2 sounds better.  Please explain.   I found a deal on an almost new F6.  Its just that I would have to move fast.

Concerns..

1. M2 no longer made.....ramifications?

2.  F7 to be released in a week or 2.  It has no transformer in the circuit save the power supply. Damping factor of >100. and has good reviews.

3....the F6 damping factor ~ 16. This would account for the good base. 

4.....F6 no longer made.... ramifications?