Looking to add a high quality 2 channel amp, not sure if I am on the right track..

AaronB123

Problem is when a speaker like the Chorus has a 45hz tuning, the lower bass than the tuning makes the woofer go wild.  Not a good thing.

But wouldn't the x-over only send a signal up 45hz???  and it's not like it's sounding bad or here the woofer bottom out....

see this is were I get kinda lost.... I have an under standing on how it works but when ya start talk all the "hz" stuff.... I look like  :blink: lol lol

MKP :-)

The crossover on the Chorus 1 passes everything below I believe 600hz to the woofer.  When ported speakers are used, many times for high output situations (and tuning isn't super low) they recommend filters below the port tuning because the woofer may not be very stable down there in typical instances.  Usually the woofers fs is around port tuning and below that the woofer doesn't have the cabinet to load the base and put pressure on it.  

In theory, the 70 watts AaronB123 has should be enough but good luck on the drive that 70watts has and if it can adequately push a 4 ohm woofer.  Much worse if the receiver is not spec'd to do (and be stable) with 4 ohm speakers such as the Pioneers and some others are.

The crossover on the Chorus 1 passes everything below I believe 600hz to the woofer.  When ported speakers are used, many times for high output situations (and tuning isn't super low) they recommend filters below the port tuning because the woofer may not be very stable down there in typical instances.  Usually the woofers fs is around port tuning and below that the woofer doesn't have the cabinet to load the base and put pressure on it.    

:emotion-21: Thanks...

MKP :-) 

Looks like only a pre-out to the sub.

So I wouldn't be able to just him an amp to that audio out in the picture there next to the sub out?

You would need to make sure it was variable out vs. pass-thu, the voltage (if a variable pre-out) high enough and of proper quality.

Yamaha typically uses "pre-out" for their terminology if they wanted you to use the ports for a pre-amp for external amplification.

My thought would be the front-end in the Yamaha wouldn't be up to the quality.  If you really need hdmi switching, depending on your budget, a SC Pioneer Elite (lower model) would drive the Chorus's wonderfully.

Is there any way that I would be able to test to see if it was variable out? By that I am assuming you mean that out in question would be controlled by the volume or just be a fixed pass through with no control which would make it useless for an amp hookup. Am I correct? 

Also, how do you think this receiver would do? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-45

Not much of an upgrade from mine in terms of wattage so I suppose if I wanted to do something I would be better off saving up and going for the SC line like you said, I saw those push at least 130@8 ohms while this one is 85. 

So I wouldn't be able to just him an amp to that audio out in the picture there next to the sub out?

You would need to make sure it was variable out vs. pass-thu, the voltage (if a variable pre-out) high enough and of proper quality.

Yamaha typically uses "pre-out" for their terminology if they wanted you to use the ports for a pre-amp for external amplification.

My thought would be the front-end in the Yamaha wouldn't be up to the quality.  If you really need hdmi switching, depending on your budget, a SC Pioneer Elite (lower model) would drive the Chorus's wonderfully.

Is there any way that I would be able to test to see if it was variable out? By that I am assuming you mean that out in question would be controlled by the volume or just be a fixed pass through with no control which would make it useless for an amp hookup. Am I correct? 

Also, how do you think this receiver would do? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-45

Not much of an upgrade from mine in terms of wattage so I suppose if I wanted to do something I would be better off saving up and going for the SC line like you said, I saw those push at least 130@8 ohms while this one is 85. 

Aaron... look at page 9 and 22 of your owner's manual... those RCA jacks are for connecting to legacy (older) 2-channel devices such as a VCR or CD player.  They will not function correctly as a "Pre Out" jack (like the subwoofer is labeled).  In fact after looking at all of the current Yamaha RX-V series receivers, the only one that has a full set of "Pre Out" jacks (suitable for driving an outboard amplifier) is the RX-V777 or V779 (see attached photo).

On the Yamaha Aventage series the "Pre Out" jacks appear to be available on the RX-A840 or A850 series and higher.

The Yamaha you have will work just fine... But as a lower end AVR it does have some limitations and doesn't have some of the "bells & whistles" of the higher end units. 

As discussed in your other post, the Chorus will be perfectly happy with the RX-V377 and it's 70 watts per channel.  BUT, if you really wanted to explore what the Chorus is capable of and listen to loud (110 dB+ range) music (or movies) with chest thumping bass, then you'll really need to find a quality amp and another AVR or Pre-Pro to drive it.

post-12390-0-07100000-1456431915_thumb.j