Looking to add a high quality 2 channel amp, not sure if I am on the right track..

AaronB123

I recently made a thread about acquiring some new Klipsch Chorus speakers and was asking what center to get and some of the forum members said I would be better off deciding if i want to make this system a 5.1 theater system or a 2 channel music system and after some serious consideration I decided I want to go the 2 channel just for music route because honestly that's pretty much what drove me to buy them because I know and love the rich vocals you get with Klipsch speakers. I also saw people said if I really want to hear what these things are made of I should give them some more power. 

Now just to make sure I am on the right track here I was looking into one amp that one of the members mentioned, the acurus A200 now looking at this thing, it looks like I would hook this up to my current receiver through the preamp out. Am I correct here? This does look like a gorgeous amp but it is on the pricey side. Even on eBay the cheapest I can find it is around 500 which is slightly out of my price range. I am looking for the highest quality bang for my buck 2 channel amp but at this point in time I can't really afford over I would say 400. I'm obviously not opposed to buying used at all either. I would love suggestions. 

I would be hooking this to a Yamaha RX-V377. I am brand new to the whole amp world If you guys could throw me some good makes and models of perhaps some of the equipment you are using I could try to find something on eBay or in the garage sale section. 

All input is much appreciated, thanks! 

Aaron,

I mentioned the Acurus A200 that my buddy used to drive his Chorus I's.   Boy did it make them sing.

Would you consider an integrated amplifier and forgo your AVR and make it strictly a stereo rig.

If so, here are a few suggestions.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-356-bee-integrated-amplifier-2016-02-11-integrateds-05401-burlington-vt

A little over your budget but a very fine integrated amp.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-356bee-integrated-amplifier-2016-02-04-integrateds-07012-clifton-nj

Another NAD 356BEE at same price.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c352-integrated-amplifier-upgraded-2016-02-24-integrateds-92064-poway-ca

An earlier generation of the NAD 356 but still a very fine amp.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas700bl/yamaha-a-s700-stereo-integrated-amplifier/1.html#!specifications

Very nice Yamaha with plenty of thumping power.

I also owned an Acurus A100 and it definitely sounded more powerful than it's "100w/channel".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331783635220?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This B&K is also a very fine amp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-Components-ST2140-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-/321927360164?hash=item4af45daea4:g:29EAAOSwcBhWUSqC

Bill

• Like 1

Wow very nice! Thanks for the suggestions. The only reason I would rather keep the Yamaha I am running and get a separate amp is because I have my computer going though it as well as my ps4 and all that running at 4k through the pass through and even though I'm not going to be running it mainly for theater I still want all that stuff to be hooked up though HDMI which I would lose if I switched to one of those integrated amps.

I'm definitely interested in the acurus. Also I was wondering your opinion on the carver M500t.

My 2 cents...

Most of my Klipsch are powered with Carver amps. I have listened to quiet a few amps. But imho nothing comes close to Bob Carver power. 

In one of your earlier post you were saying that you were still not impressed with the bass from your Chorus.... One of the bigger Carver's will get those Chorus hitting like you have never felt before. Something like a TFM-55, 42, 45, All three of those amps will put out 375 watts @ 8 ohms all day long and run cool.  Well at the end of the day they might be alittle warm...lol lol. All three amps are rated about the same but the 55 seems to have a bit more balls...

I have bridged both my Adcom 555ii's to each one of my Chorus..... that's 600 watts. now I don't know how much power I was really putting in them cuz there's no power meters on those amps... But it was nuts... yea it was loud...... too loud...... I like loud concert level sound.... I want to "feel" the music. Now my one Carver the TFM-55x made my Chorus hit harder with more bass than both those Adcoms bridged... When those power needles start jumping up to that 375 watt mark... it's like a wall of sound just hittin ya... and you can "feel" it in you chest... 

There are alot of good amps out there.... I just happen to like the Carver line.... Hey I also like my Adcom's with my other speakers... and I like the Crown line of amps.

As far as price..... Most of the TFM-55 or 55x's are over the $500 mark...  The TFM-42 & 45's can be had less most of the time.. The last one I got two years ago was a TFM-42 for $330 incl shipping.. now that was a good price... I stole that one on the e-bay.... Most of the 42's & 45's go for around $400 +/- ... The 42 & 45 are the same amp.. the 45 has power needles the 42 has LED meter's....

I use a TFM-42 to drive my KP-362's at my shop... and I tell ya it makes em kick...

One more thought.... A Carver M400 cube is a really cool little amp... I got two of these.... and they really are super cool... they put out 201 watts @ 8ohms. You can't believe that such a tiny little cube can get a set of speakers pumping like they do.... I'm running them bridged to power my Chorusii's...

I like the M400t's..... I've had the M400 and M400a but I like the "t's" the best..

Another Carver that's considered "the most musical" is the M-500t... I have not owned or listened to one of these yet... The Carver guys up-grade these amps big time... they even double the out put... One of the Carver guys is coming over my house on spring break. He'll be bringing his M-500't mkii... He has never heard Klipsch speaker's.... should be fun... The M-500 is not a U.S. made amp..... it was made in Japan...

Last thought on the Carver's....... There getting old......There are some shops that don't work on them..... If ya find one that's been gone through it'll cost ya... but might be worth it.... 

Well that's my 2 cents in the mix....... as Bob Carver says.... "can't have too much power" ;)

Good luck..... have fun....

MKP :-)

• Like 1

My 2 cents...

Most of my Klipsch are powered with Carver amps. I have listened to quiet a few amps. But imho nothing comes close to Bob Carver power.

In one of your earlier post you were saying that you were still not impressed with the bass from your Chorus.... One of the bigger Carver's will get those Chorus hitting like you have never felt before. Something like a TFM-55, 42, 45, All three of those amps will put out 375 watts @ 8 ohms all day long and run cool. Well at the end of the day they might be alittle warm...lol lol. All three amps are rated about the same but the 55 seems to have a bit more balls...

I have bridged both my Adcom 555ii's to each one of my Chorus..... that's 600 watts. now I don't know how much power I was really putting in them cuz there's no power meters on those amps... But it was nuts... yea it was loud...... too loud...... I like loud concert level sound.... I want to "feel" the music. Now my one Carver the TFM-55x made my Chorus hit harder with more bass than both those Adcoms bridged... When those power needles start jumping up to that 375 watt mark... it's like a wall of sound just hittin ya... and you can "feel" it in you chest...

There are alot of good amps out there.... I just happen to like the Carver line.... Hey I also like my Adcom's with my other speakers... and I like the Crown line of amps.

As far as price..... Most of the TFM-55 or 55x's are over the $500 mark... The TFM-42 & 45's can be had less most of the time.. The last one I got two years ago was a TFM-42 for $330 incl shipping.. now that was a good price... I stole that one on the e-bay.... Most of the 42's & 45's go for around $400 +/- ... The 42 & 45 are the same amp.. the 45 has power needles the 42 has LED meter's....

I use a TFM-42 to drive my KP-362's at my shop... and I tell ya it makes em kick...

One more thought.... A Carver M400 cube is a really cool little amp... I got two of these.... and they really are super cool... they put out 201 watts @ 8ohms. You can't believe that such a tiny little cube can get a set of speakers pumping like they do.... I'm running them bridged to power my Chorusii's...

I like the M400t's..... I've had the M400 and M400a but I like the "t's" the best..

Another Carver that's considered "the most musical" is the M-500t... I have not owned or listened to one of these yet... The Carver guys up-grade these amps big time... they even double the out put... One of the Carver guys is coming over my house on spring break. He'll be bringing his M-500't mkii... He has never heard Klipsch speaker's.... should be fun... The M-500 is not a U.S. made amp..... it was made in Japan...

Last thought on the Carver's....... There getting old......There are some shops that don't work on them..... If ya find one that's been gone through it'll cost ya... but might be worth it....

Well that's my 2 cents in the mix....... as Bob Carver says.... "can't have too much power" ;)

Good luck..... have fun....

Ya I have to say I'm really liking that tfm-45 I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for that one. I'll tell ya another thing,i can tell I'm not even seeing a glimpse of what those choruses can do because with the amp I'm pushing out with now I can pretty much put it on full blast and the woofer barely moves. Edited by AaronB123

If ya see something that catches your eye in the Carver line... shoot me pm I'll give ya my 2 cents...oh and i'm far from the Carver guru.... I've just owned a shitt load over the years...

Just for shitts... check out the carver TFM-75... that my man is my dream Carver amp... ahhhhh one day..... also the Silver 7t & 9t mono amps... master pieces... again one day...

Have you been over to thecarversite?

If ya see something that catches your eye in the Carver line... shoot me pm I'll give ya my 2 cents...oh and i'm far from the Carver guru.... I've just owned a shitt load over the years...

Just for shitts... check out the carver TFM-75... that my man is my dream Carver amp... ahhhhh one day..... also the Silver 7t & 9t mono amps... master pieces... again one day...

Wow, that tfm-75 is an absolute monster!! I hadn't been to thecarversite but I just checked it out, I'll definitely become a member of that forum as well. It's amazing how at one point I thought my little Yamaha 90 watts per channel was powerful,i can't wait to hear real power!

One thing I was actually wondering, I've seen on this forum a lot of people actually using car subs and amps and stuff like that for home audio. I have a jl audio 300/2 slash 2 channel amp. Do you think it would be a good idea to try and rig that for home use, or would I be much better off just trying to find a home amp?

Hey Aaron, check out Emotiva. Especially since you mention "bang for the buck". You are going to be hard pressed to find a nicer two channel amp than the XPA-200. 150 wpc into 8 ohms and nice detailed response. I owned one for a short time before upgrading to the XPA-2. I own four of these right now. All of my Klipsch speakers seemed to enjoy this amp.

Out of stock at the moment on their site but you can get it in factory refreshed for only $390 over the phone...maybe even less. Full warranty and everything, just basically open box.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200

All of the Emotiva gear comes with a fully transferable 5 year warranty and ships to you free. 

On a more personal note I am soon to be parting ways with my Outlaw Audio M2200 mono block amps. 200 wpc and very nice detail. Looking for $400 for the pair plus shipping if you are interested. They sell new for close to $400 each.

You would just need to give me some time to get my other A/V set up into place...say a week? Here is a link to them. 

http://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

In the case that your Yamaha doesn't have pre outs and you need a preamp. I will soon have available an Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2. It is a combination Preamp/Headphone Amp and DAC. Right now it is paired with my Outlaws that has USB and I think three digital outputs. No analog outputs. I am running the pair of amps off the XLR outputs and a pair of subs off the RCA outputs which is a great option of this preamp. PM me if you want details on anything or if this gear interests you. 

Tim

Edited by teaman

Wow, that tfm-75 is an absolute monster!! I hadn't been to thecarversite but I just checked it out, I'll definitely become a member of that forum as well. It's amazing how at one point I thought my little Yamaha 90 watts per channel was powerful,i can't wait to hear real power!

One thing I was actually wondering, I've seen on this forum a lot of people actually using car subs and amps and stuff like that for home audio. I have a jl audio 300/2 slash 2 channel amp. Do you think it would be a good idea to try and rig that for home use, or would I be much better off just trying to find a home amp?

Much better with a real home amp unless of course you have enough 12volt juice to actually push the car amp adequately.  Not as easy to do as most think.  Also the sound quality will likely be quite a bit different between a good 2 channel home amp and the auto amp.

Second thing is you said your Yamaha didn't have enough power because the woofers barely move.  Unless you are doing very deep bass (and a Chorus as any other ported speaker) will typically unload when run under the tuning frequency of the speaker.  Getting lower into the frequency range, say into the tuning area, the woofers should almost appear to stop moving and the output be from the ports.

Does your version of the Yamaha have actual pre-outs or the av out?  It may not be putting out the appropriate voltage to be able to run an amplifier if they are variable outputs.  I would suggest find a good used integrated or save your money until you can do the right job since you want video switching with a better receiver.  A processor to do 4K will be a little heavy on the wallet..

Much better with a real home amp unless of course you have enough 12volt juice to actually push the car amp adequately. Not as easy to do as most think. Also the sound quality will likely be quite a bit different between a good 2 channel home amp and the auto amp.

Second thing is you said your Yamaha didn't have enough power because the woofers barely move. Unless you are doing very deep bass (and a Chorus as any other ported speaker) will typically unload when run under the tuning frequency of the speaker. Getting lower into the frequency range, say into the tuning area, the woofers should almost appear to stop moving and the output be from the ports.

Does your version of the Yamaha have actual pre-outs or the av out? It may not be putting out the appropriate voltage to be able to run an amplifier if they are variable outputs. I would suggest find a good used integrated or save your money until you can do the right job since you want video switching with a better receiver. A processor to do 4K will be a little heavy on the wallet..

It might actually just be A/V outs, truthfully I didn't really think there was a difference. I'll post a link to its specs here.

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers/rx-v/rx-v377.html

So, if I was to get an amp and hook it to my receivers audio out it wouldn't work?

Second thing is you said your Yamaha didn't have enough power because the woofers barely move.  Unless you are doing very deep bass (and a Chorus as any other ported speaker) will typically unload when run under the tuning frequency of the speaker.  Getting lower into the frequency range, say into the tuning area, the woofers should almost appear to stop moving and the output be from the ports.  

Yea.... the 15's don't move a whole lot.... they will start moving when ya put some juice to em.... The most I've ever seen my Chorus woofer's move is when I play "Tight" from INXS... playing that song with alot of power to the Chorus will get those woofer's to full x-mas.....it's crazy....it's almost like a sub-woofer there moving so much... lol lol

I like watching the woofer's woof.... ;)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

Looks like only a pre-out to the sub.

So I wouldn't be able to just him an amp to that audio out in the picture there next to the sub out?

You would need to make sure it was variable out vs. pass-thu, the voltage (if a variable pre-out) high enough and of proper quality.

Yamaha typically uses "pre-out" for their terminology if they wanted you to use the ports for a pre-amp for external amplification.

My thought would be the front-end in the Yamaha wouldn't be up to the quality.  If you really need hdmi switching, depending on your budget, a SC Pioneer Elite (lower model) would drive the Chorus's wonderfully.

Yea.... the 15's don't move a whole lot.... they will start moving when ya put some juice to em.... The most I've ever seen my Chorus woofer's move is when I play "Tight" from INXS... playing that song with alot of power to the Chorus will get those woofer's to full x-mas.....it's crazy....it's almost like a sub-woofer there moving so much... lol lol

I like watching the woofer's woof.... ;)

Problem is when a speaker like the Chorus has a 45hz tuning, the lower bass than the tuning makes the woofer go wild.  Not a good thing.

• Like 1

Problem is when a speaker like the Chorus has a 45hz tuning, the lower bass than the tuning makes the woofer go wild.  Not a good thing.

But wouldn't the x-over only send a signal up 45hz???  and it's not like it's sounding bad or here the woofer bottom out....

see this is were I get kinda lost.... I have an under standing on how it works but when ya start talk all the "hz" stuff.... I look like  :blink: lol lol