need help with rear fill for my 7.1 atmos setup..

toomnymods

the bottom of the speakers is pretty much 6' off of the floor for all of the wall mounted speakers.

That's probably a little high, regardless of Atmos.  Would be 3" over my head even when standing up, with the top being much higher.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

When people mount the sides and rear surounds how do they know how to measure the correct height? Do they go off of the center of the enclosure as the measuring location? The driver? Or the tweeter? What excactly needs to be at Atmos specification level?

Thanks

When people mount the sides and rear surounds how do they know how to measure the correct height? Do they go off of the center of the enclosure as the measuring location? The driver? Or the tweeter? What excactly needs to be at Atmos specification level?

Thanks

Although I clearly hear your question and know you want an answer, I'd still like to say take a step back, deep breath on this.

The speakers themselves  are fine, they should and will do the job just right once everything is setup properly.

The first and easiest thing to try (imo) is to calibrate it again.  It's really important the microphone is properly placed....not set upon something heavy that reflects a lot, not up against the couch cushions themselves either.

The second thing to do is to move the surrounds along with the couch itself.  You will/would not believe how much of a difference position will make.  In my 2nd theater, moving the left surround forward one foot changed it from can't hear anything to incredible awesome sound.

I'm not talking about vertical height here either.  That is important, but is not your current problem.

The problem is the listening position is not hearing the surround speakers, or not hearing them well.  

If you get to step 2 above, try moving the couch forward and back a little to see if you can hear them better.  If that doesn't work, try putting the speakers on boxes or something you can elevate them on and search for positions where they sound very good.   They exist.   Just don't worry for now about *HOW* you will mount them wherever they sound good.  You first must find a place that they sound good, then compromises can be made accordingly.

I'm still not totally clear on where they are now, and where the main couch is relative to them.   Can you take a picture or two or refer to the ones above as to which are current?

Hang in there, relax a bit, the equipment is fine.  It seems frustrating because you want it setup right now, but trust me, with a little testing you'll get there.  The height is important, but not your current problem.  At most heights you should still be able to get a good sound from them.  It's the position of them relative to the listening position that is likely off.

But first, again, run calibration and if need be, a couple times to be sure that isn't the problem.

For Atmos, that's easy.  You put them at the same height as your mains if possible, ideally never more than half the height of your wall, with dispersed and elevated rear surrounds not being more than 1.25 times the height of your front mains worst case.  Of course you can fudge on it and most people with older setups aren't going to have them at that height, but that's what Dolby recommends for Atmos.  That's like your tops of elevated surrounds ideally being 4.5' high.  You've got them over 7' high, then you're sitting right under them.  Just some pretty bad angles involved.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

toomny,

I still think you should try the surround under the counter. Look at my picture a few posts back.

Keep in mind, that the only way you are going to have a true home theater is to start over in a different room. There are physical limitations in this room that cannot be overcome. You can keep throwing all the money at it, but it will still be a home theater as an afterthought in a room designed to be a den. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine room, and I bet I could sit in that room for the rest of my life and be quite happy. 

To me, the most important things in a HT are:

1 Picture 

2 Voices - center speaker

3 Sub bass

4 Left and right (mains)

5 surrounds and rears and ceilings and decorations and fresh flowers

Here is a nice example of what your future HT may look like: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151408-youthmans-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-version-20-begins/