Rome Rebuilt

oldtimer

Brian--thanks for posting this.  I've often wondered why some sort of Roman architecture reconstruction via computer hasn't been placed on-line before.  Now it looks like it's happening. 

When my family and I visited Rome a few years ago, we were amazed by the structures shown in the present day video--the Coliseum, Pantheon, etc., but it was extremely difficult to visualize what the integrated picture looked like.  The big Circus Maximus was basically just a depression in the ground with a "median" in the center, and several other noted buildings and structures were is such ruins that it was not possible to know what the tour markers (in English) were referring to.

Constantine was the guy credited with moving the flag in 320CE from Rome to what is today Istanbul (Constantinople) and split the Empire into two--the eastern half of the Roman Empire of which survived intact until 1453(!).  It was said that he wanted to start anew to get away from the old Greek-Roman temples, etc.  Rome stopped growing thereafter.

Chris

Edited by Chris A