Just soldered tonight - First time in 35 + yrs

Karsoncookie

Continuation of Drama - So, we live in a tiny, but very cute inside home.

Against one wall of the living room, is a 6' 100 gal empty aquarium on nice cabinet stand, bought used, waiting for $ and attention..

On the floor, in front of that, is a stickerd stack of live edge  9/4 Oak boards about 16" w x 10' long, acclimating,waiting to become a "farm table".

So I set the double 15" bass bottoms I recently got, temporarily on that stack, (about 14" above floor level), just to temp wire to test them.

They seemed stable enough

From Bill Hendrix, I got a pair of Klipsch psd2002 Eminence drivers, and unknown about 8" x 9" plastic horns.

Similar appearance to a 904? I guess.

Temp sitting on folded towels on top.

OK, finally hooked everything up to test, terminal cup back mounted xovers just still hanging of of cabinets.

Put on "Dire Straits" import CD "Money for Nothing".

Sounds pretty good.

CRANKED it up, and walked across to other side of LR to the CD shelf, Missus sitting on the couch.

I'm there looking,at CD's, kneeling down for a 1/2 minute, Missus starts yelling at me, pointing toward the speakers.

Couch dividing us, with me kneeling, I only see one speaker.

????  She keeps yelling and pointing.

So I get up and see one speaker face down on the floor, horn lens missing one side, and crossover mounting cup mounting legs 3 of 4 snapped off.

Otherwise all ok.

I never heard or felt it fall.

Hey, they did seem very stable on that stack of boards.

Like I said, good that the pups were hiding in the back hall. 

That's all. Lars

Hmmm, One of the bass cabs is clearly quieter than the other.

The one that did not fall is the quiet one.

Both drivers in that cab quiet, wired in parrallel.. k45kp

Need to swap speaker inputs and / or xovers tommorow to see if the problem follows something.

I expect it will be either bad xover or bad receilver output.

Hi horns all good.  Lars

So I have an old Yamaha R8 receiver, If I recall ""65" watt /side.

I originally bought it like 35 yrs ago when I got my first Klipsch, La Scalas with it,

I did right away upgrade to monoblock Adcoms, that were clearly stronger, BUT the Yamaha would have been good enough if I did not have the upgrade money at that time. Just not as *** kickin when turned up like a maniac.

Anyway, after swapping, it is obvious a I have a bass deficient "Right" out on my R8 receiver..

Both "A" and "B" speaker outs, (but That should;d not matter, I assume those are just parrallell outs after all electronics).

Horns seem the same, but HUGE diff in the 15"s bottoms after swapping L to R, the quietness follows.

So I guess I need a new Receiver. (Or fix the old one, but just shipping to my closest tech would be like $90 round trip, I live in the woods.)

Anybody have anything sitting around equal or a bit stronger?

Stronger, higher wattage, I would not mind.

I ain't no Audiophile, PLEASE don't tell me about Nelson Pass.

The mono Adcoms punched me in the chest, Almost sex, the Yamaha never did, but WAS acceptable for more normal person listening DB's.

I tend to crank it up like a maniac to get my "fix" for like two songs, THEN, turn it way down for more.

Open to ideas, or if you have something sitting around you would put in a rental bathroom or closet system, I'll consider.

Very sorry, I'm talkin really low $. 

Thank you all again,   Lars

Which is why I always solder standing up. No hot solder balls for this guy.

I remember the good ole' days... I used to soldier back in the day... Whoops!! solder!! (Soldiered too for decades...) Other events like marriage, children, job, etc., got in the way until 2006 when I decided that I needed to replace the crossovers in my original K'horns (and one of the corroded bass drivers in the bin...).

Soldering is an art form and a perishable skill... Use it or lose it. For years I succumbed to the temptation of wire clips, twist wires and put the twisty plugs on the twists, etc., etc.  But after a few weeks on the old Forum, I knew that unless I could connect something with something using what otherwise functioned as an emergency cigar lighter, I would be forever condemned to the status or another member of the "children of the lesser Gods". So I faced the threat, bought a new modern soldering iron/ gun, and the necessary supplies and accessories!!

I started with practice so I could at least put the wires back on my BNIB bass drivers (bought two - figured if one had died the other was on life support...) It started as two giant grey colored softballs that looked like the seething silvery surface of a neutron star. Pretty, but useless. I worked my way down, first to baseballs, them to marbles, and finally arriving at what could pass for the soldered leads on the old K-33's.

Practice does make for some perfection, at least in my case... I graduated to caps on crossovers, etc. Along this tortured path, I came up with some rules:

• Never solder while drinking beer; It just get's crazy and you will end up making amusing solder ball snowmen that are funny at about beer # 4+
  • No matter what folks say otherwise, always solder with good quality solder, flux, etc. Wal-Mart solder is not really good. Electrician's solder designed for circuit boards, etc., is the best
  • Have a good soldering tool, preferably with a temp control. Modern devices designed for precision soldering are a good thought.
  • Always have a cheap wet sponge to wipe the heat part off as you go. Rosin, flux, etc. builds up and affects the solder you are trying to apply.
  • Avoid acid core solder. Old school, but still around.
  • If you solder while sitting down, put a towel over your lap. Better yet... wear pants, jeans, etc. Solder drippings on your junk is painful and permanent. And... it's hard to explain to your better half that the scars are not the result of a strange infectious disease.
  • Clean the soldering device after use. Heat it up to max and wipe it on the sponge until it's clean.
  • Practice, practice, practice!!! stranded wire and solder are cheap!! Make it look good!!
  • Biggest mistake is soldering device is not up to, or at the right temp. Solder should flow like water when the tip is applied.
  • Take your time and stay away from beer, etc.

That's my advice and I'm "sticking" to it!!

Later!!

Edited by Groomlakearea51