Need your input for whole home music/entertainment system

Bella

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, mods please move if it isn't.

I have a friend who has come to me for advice on a system for her home. She's looking for in-ceiling speakers (4 for inside, 2 for outside mounted in her patio cover). But also wants it to integrate it for a 'smart home.' Here is what she sent to me:

"Have no idea on budget and don't know what to spend for speakers, receiver/controller....something that allows "smart home" central control for the music/tv/future smart home add ons, and a new tv that is wifi ready."

I can recommend the speakers - that's easy. But beyond that what do you use to control or power it all with? Are multiple receivers needed for 6 speakers and what about a central source such as a Sonos or something similar or better? It sounds like she is wanting complete integration and future proof technology, but I'm sure she will want to keep it simple. She's a young mid-60's woman so complicated technology isn't her strength.

Any advice or experience you  can pass along will be greatly appreciated!

I would advise her to be ready to spend some big money.  There are avr's that control 2 or 3 zones.  Wireless connectivity makes life somewhat easier.  Get her to pin down a max budget.  Also, what size are the rooms and her listening habits?

For only 6 speakers you could probably use a simple receiver, but typically for distributed audio people are using the controllers with the several little integrated class D amp channels.  Think things like the Niles MRC6430 or Russound CAA66L. You can link them up, control them with a tablet or installed wall displays, all kinds of cool stuff.  A receiver is actually the cheap way out and can't be integrated in the same way as the guys building smart homes are doing it. She needs to call a local integrator who does this kind of stuff all the time. 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1