for the ear...

prodj101

in response to your previous statement, "Tell me why my Sunfire Signature with its smallish piston(cone)moves more air then many 15" woofers", why would you not see companys like Krell and Velodyne opting for those small little boxs instead of the 420 pound monster that krell makes and the legend HGS-18? Also, you say that xmax is the 2nd most important factor here, however, there are 18 inch subwoofers with the same amount of xmax as a Sunfire Signiture or SVS Ultra. besides having the same amount, they also are 18 inch instead of a little 10 inch. winner? no, it couldn't be, the 18 inch?!!

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

Amp for stereo Listening- Home-made tube amp 100 watt monoblocks

second to top of the line sony SACD- Technics Turntable, Pioneer Turntable, Gemini Turntable.

The HGS18 even if it uses a huge 18" driver and a very capable one produces less output down low then the SVS Ultra(one SVS Ultra).

I know this is due to the limiter and EQ in the smallish box.Still the SVS nails the HGS18 down low.

The Krell MRS uses two 15" ultra long throw active drivers in a compact box.The weight is due to the massive cabinet and huge amplifier,woo hoo.When you pay over $30000 tey better give you at least two 15" drivers and 2KW RMS worth of amp in a aluminium alloy cabinet.

"there are 18 inch subwoofers with the same amount of xmax as a Sunfire Signiture or SVS Ultra."

Make and model please with xmax and linear.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Adire Audio Brahma series drivers. 27.32 mm one way linear. 18 inch diamiter, 42 pounds. Also, you fail to see the point of the previous post. If a 12 inch or 10 inch sound sooo much better, why wouldn't krell be using them in their flagship subwoofer when we all know that is one of the best subs money can buy.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

second to top of the line sony SACD- Technics Turntable, Pioneer Turntable, Gemini Turntable.

the Brahma has well over 2 inches of excrusion. So, it's pretty much equal to the sunfire as far as excrusion goes, couple that with an 18 inch driver, and I think we have a winner here.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

BluePrint 1803 - Fs 26.8hz, Xmax p-p 51.7mm, Sd 1217cm^2, linear Vd 6.29L.

AuraSound MR18.4 - Fs 17hz, Xmax p-p 63.5mm, Sd 1164cm^2, linear Vd 7.39L.

Adire Tumult (15") - Fs 16hz, Xmax p-p 72.6mm, Sd 737cm^2, linear Vd 5.35L

We'll hopefully see an 18" version of the Tumult within a year that will have a slightly lower Fs and higher Qts making it better suited for IB use. With an 1180cm^2 Sd it will be capable of over 8L of linear Vd.

Oh, and the Sunfire site isn't using Xmax multiplied by Sd to get their total volume displacement numbers they quote for their subs.

This Aura 18.4 looks like a beast on paper(specs)and looks like a meanie.Sure here with a ultra long throw 18" monster there is just about no way in hell a 10 or even 12" can compete in pure SPL.Unless the SVS SS driver spits its cone from over excursion LOL

Cant wait to see the Adire Tumult.Maybe I will buy a few power tools and start building my subs,as amplifiers I have plenty and plenty powerful solid state monsters too.

$1300 US for a woofer! Not bad LOL

cwm3.gifcwm3.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 08-28-2002 at 10:21 PM

Wow, what in the heck happened? We have all seemed to crash and burn in the last 48 hours...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

yes, me and ear seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot...

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer