Center channel help (RP-450c vs RP-250c)

Darqman

Hello Klipsch Experts,

December 2014 I started a home theater build, lots of learning and lots of work, but fun.  It took over a year to complete the room from painting, building the riser, installing heat and air, laying carpet, etc.  I finally finished November 2015.  Here's a link to the pintrest board that has some photos of the completed room.

https://www.pinterest.com/realcodeguy/goldstar-theater-build/

I went way over budget on the project, so when it came time to install audio I used my existing Sonos Playbar with sub and two Play 3's for surround.  It has been an okay temporary solution but now it's time to upgrade to a proper home theater system.  

I have my eye on a package deal from a Klipsch authorized dealer that consists of the following:

2 Klipsch RP-280F Tower Speakers

1 Klipsch RP-250c Center Speaker

2 Klipsch RP-250S-BLK Surround Speaker

2 BIC Acoustech PL-200

1 Denon AVR-X4200W

The reason I'd like the 250c is that it will fit behind my acoustically transparent screen where the Playbar is currently mounted.  In this scenario, the back of the speaker would be touching the curtain behind the screen.  The upside to being mounted behind the screen is that it will be elevated enough so the front row doesn't block the sound from the back of the room. If you look at my photos in the link above you can see the layout of the room.

The 450c is it is too deep to fit behind the screen and would have to sit on a stand below the screen.  

So onto my questions....

1) If I choose the 250c, do you think the back of it pressing against the curtain will interfere with the speakers performance? It does have a port on the back but I don't know if this will be cause for concern. 

2) If I choose the 450c and place it under the screen, would you be concerned with it being too low for the sound to carry to the rear row of seats? It seems like the sound would hit the front row and those sitting on the back row might get cheated.

3) The final question, is there anything inherently wrong having the subwoofer brand (BIC) mismatched from the other speakers?

I'm close to pulling the trigger and being part of the Klipsch family but I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Thanks for you help.

what is behind the curtains? are they just against the wall? if so then they will absorb some of the sound coming out from the port.

how much distance do you have behind the screen? i'm gonna play devils advocate cause that is my job here. you spent all this time and money on this setup why not make it the best possible? seems like a waste to sacrifice THE MOST IMPORTANT speaker in the bunch. skip the 250c. skip the 450c. get your three RP-280's across the front. having three identical speakers is god for so many reasons! read up on them before you buy. then buy them. then thank me down the road. if you have to move you screen a bit to make the tower fit, do it. you'll be glad you did. 

welcome to the forum 

• Moderators
is there anything inherently wrong having the subwoofer brand (BIC) mismatched from the other speakers?

Welcome to the forums.  Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the new RP series as I have not heard them yet.  But I can say there is nothing wrong with having a sub or subs of a different brand.  You might even could consider buying your subs used as you will get a LOT more bang for your buck.

• Moderators
speaker would be touching the curtain behind the screen. The upside to being mounted behind the screen is that it will be elevated enough so the front row doesn't block the sound from the back of the room.

Scrappy is right.  I didn't believe the hype about having three identical speakers until I bought a third LaScala.  Absolutely seamless when panning across the front soundstage, not to mention, you are getting the best sound you can get by having an identical speaker as your center.

what is behind the curtains? are they just against the wall? if so then they will absorb some of the sound coming out from the port.

how much distance do you have behind the screen? i'm gonna play devils advocate cause that is my job here. you spent all this time and money on this setup why not make it the best possible? seems like a waste to sacrifice THE MOST IMPORTANT speaker in the bunch. skip the 250c. skip the 450c. get your three RP-280's across the front. having three identical speakers is god for so many reasons! read up on them before you buy. then buy them. then thank me down the road. if you have to move you screen a bit to make the tower fit, do it. you'll be glad you did. 

welcome to the forum 

There's 13" from the screen to the wall if I removed the curtains.  The problem with eliminating the curtains is the room was originally a sunroom. so there are 9 windows.  Behind the curtains on the screen wall is a back door to my patio (that I never used) and two windows. I do have blackout on the windows to keep light from bleeding in but removing the curtains is really not an option.  

The front row of seats is already borderline too close.  I've never had anyone complain about it, but moving the screen out another 8 or 10 inches would be a trick.  The screen is mounted to custom aluminum bracket that I built so it would suspend in front of the curtains with enough room for the Playbar.  I obviously didn't plan enough ahead and allow myself enough room. My bad for not looking at the depth of higher end audio equipment.

Would your recommendation be to mount the tower vertically behind the screen?  I just don't see how I could pull that off if I wanted to without making the front row too close.  Is there a plan B?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

[EDIT] I just measured and the screen is too low for a 280f to stand under the screen (by 6"), and not enough room to raise based on screen and ceiling height.  

Edited by Darqman

is there anything inherently wrong having the subwoofer brand (BIC) mismatched from the other speakers?

Welcome to the forums.  Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the new RP series as I have not heard them yet.  But I can say there is nothing wrong with having a sub or subs of a different brand.  You might even could consider buying your subs used as you will get a LOT more bang for your buck.

Thanks for the feedback.  I just spent some time looking at your setup, very impressive. I bet the neighbors love you :-)

welcome to the forum

There's 13" from the screen to the wall if I removed the curtains. The problem with eliminating the curtains is the room was originally a sunroom. so there are 9 windows. Behind the curtains on the screen wall is a back door to my patio (that I never used) and two windows. I do have blackout on the windows to keep light from bleeding in but removing the curtains is really not an option.

The front row of seats is already borderline too close. I've never had anyone complain about it, but moving the screen out another 8 or 10 inches would be a trick. The screen is mounted to custom aluminum bracket that I built so it would suspend in front of the curtains with enough room for the Playbar. I obviously didn't plan enough ahead and allow myself enough room. My bad for not looking at the depth of higher end audio equipment.

Would your recommendation be to mount the tower vertically behind the screen? I just don't see how I could pull that off if I wanted to without making the front row too close. Is there a plan B?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

[EDIT] I just measured and the screen is too low for a 280f to stand under the screen (by 6"), and not enough room to raise based on screen and ceiling height.

do you not have a acoustically transparent screen?

I decided to pull the trigger on this system vs the one mentioned above.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-280F-Tower-Speakers-R112SW-5-1-Denon-AVR-X4200W/dp/B016E6IW7G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

After measuring and and contemplating, there is just no feasible way to move my screen so I'll have to live the with center sitting below the screen. The 250c just doesn't look like it will have the punch I'm looking for.  I realize some don't care for the 450c despite the positive reviews, but I figure it will be a huge upgrade from my Sonos Playbar system.  

Does anyone have a tip for a center channel stand and wall/ceiling mounts for the 250s?

• Like 1

Your no compromise solution that fits is an rc62. Just under 13inches deep and front ported to solve port issue. Not as good as 3 of same but would work. With that said rp250c sounds better imo. But porting is important with center that you will be cranking up for ht.

Your no compromise solution that fits is an rc62. Just under 13inches deep and front ported to solve port issue. Not as good as 3 of same but would work. With that said rp250c sounds better imo. But porting is important with center that you will be cranking up for ht.

Thanks for the tip on the rc62. I never saw that as an option on the web site so it must be discontinued.  As  I mentioned, I did place the order last night but if the 450c under the screen does present a problem at least I have a fallback plan now.  Thanks for the feedback.

Wall mount 250s anywhere on wall using a brillant simple product called a Snaptoggle. Keyhole mount and use small felt pads on bottom corners to eliminate vibrations.amazon for snaptoggles...5 min install for each.

Great idea, thanks.