Shipping - Help Me PLease

kev313

ok, for those who have done this before...does anyone know a good freight company to pick up and pack speakers at a sellers home in Florida and ship them out to me in Chicago? (Seller, obviously, will not ship, but will let someone pick-up)

Thanks for any recommendations,

Kevin

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

quote:

Originally posted by Roadhawg:

DocJ,

Contact Service By Air @ 1-800-243-5545. I used them about a year and a half ago to ship a pair of LaScalas I purchased from Atlanta to Tulsa. Total delivered price was $133.00 dock to dock. They put the speakers on a pallet, shrinkwrapped and strapped them down. When I went to pick them up they couldn't have been more securely attached if they were bolted on and they didn't have a scratch on them.

The advantage of having them on a pallet is the combined weight and bulk forces them to be moved by forklift rather than some bubba with a dolly which is a guarantee for knicks and dings. Roadhawg

The above info was recently posted by Roadhawg in response to a similar question in a thread in the Technical Questions Section of the forum.

Wes

btw - Here's the link to that thread:

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002272.html

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-29-2002 at 07:30 AM

last week I called the Service by Air number and got a quote on Belles shipped within Texas --- $335 for package, pickup and ship to my house. A freight calculator on ebay for Belles from Seattle to Dallas was $390.

It's probably a lot cheaper if seller could package and take to a shipper but few sellers would have good packing material--especially a pallet. Even Mail Box, etc. would only be able box I've heard.

It seems that these speakers could chip, dent, and scratch easy and sine they are heavy moving them is a risk.

I'm interested in any better suggestions.

Guys...

Be oh so careful, and heavily insured when you ship. I haven't used the pallet-ship method, but it sounds good! I have used the mailbox-etc-ups- box it, drop it, kick it, ship it method...and with mostly not very happy endings. Out of 5 pairs of speakers shipped, only 1 pair made it unscathed. I now believe in road trips to pickup, or using my friends in faraway places to caravan them home.....

cwm38.gif

Bev

------------------

Love & kisses on your Klipsch's!!!

If you call Service By Air, be sure to check rate for dock to dock shipping, that's how I had my LaScalas shipped.

The seller took them to the dock in Atlanta, I had emailed pics of the speakers to the Service By Air rep in Atlanta, they did an inspection for me before releasing my cashiers check to the seller.

They then put them on a pallet and shrinkwrapped and strapped them. I picked them up in Tulsa at the dock about 4 days later, removed straps and shrinkwrap and put them in my Suburban. Total cost $133 and they couldn't have done a better job for me.

I had my Klipschorns shipped by the Logistics Division of North American Van Lines. I was fortunate because the seller packed the speakers but, if they wont do that, North American will blanket wrap them. They base their price on a minimum shipping weight of 500 pounds but, nonetheless, I got a really good price, door to door. I would have no hesitation in recommending them.