New processor

oldred

Guys,

First lets start off with my back round.
My passion is Home theater PC's / the complete rebuilding of Klipsch speakers / surround sound. And of couse anything 2 channel
My equipment is :

Sunfire TGA 7201 AMP ...200 x 7
Klipsch Chorus II fronts Crites crossover/diaphragm upgrades
Klipsch Academy Center Crites crossover/diaphragm upgrades
Klipsch Quartet surrounds Crites crossover/diaphragm upgrades
Klipsch Forte Rears Crites crossover/diaphragm upgrades.
PSA 1800V subwoofer
Oppo 103

The pre pro that the AVM 60 is replacing is an Integra DHC 80.3.

I have had the AVM 60 about 6 weeks

The AVM 60 is a good replacement for the Integra......(good not great)...but still a keeper.
The network issues are difficult if not in some cases impossible to figure out.
believe me I know my way around networking. But finally I was able to connect wireless to run ARC. To this day I can still not see the AVM 60 on my wired network..but given time it will get figured out.

Features: Unlike the Integra the AVM 60 does not have a multitude of sound formats (most of which I never used)..but I do miss Prologic IIx
Having to scroll through the input menu to change from one source to another is not as nice as a different button for each source on the remote. (AVM 60 remote very basic)
Not having the visual reference of the different speakers in the AVM 60 front display takes a little getting use to.
Having to run ARC with a laptop ...while it is cool it is slightly less convenient than just plugging in a microphone and running calibration (when you finally figure out the wireless networking).
Where the AVM 60 blows the Integra away is the sound....Holy S--t.
With the Integra I had a pretty good sounding home theater...with the AVM 60 I have a Great sounding home theater. WOW
It really comes alive after running ARC (ran it 3 times) .
If you are looking for a pre pro to do video processing/have different settings for more than 1 sub..... Look else where
If you want something that sounds Great and gives you the ability to go ATMOS when you are ready. BUY one

Before buying The AMV 60 I really couldn't really find any reviews ...just the introductory stuff.
It was a choice between the Anthem and Emotiva.

I came from a $3000.00 pre pro to this $3000.00 pre pro...
Glad I did....Still got some things to figure out....but they will get figured.

( copied my review from AVS)

Like I said it's a keeper

G.E.M.

Edited by oldred

Anthem vs Onkyo........surely not comparable for sound quality in my book. Onkyo is great for features, and they work pretty good. Anthem is about sound, features come down the list....these type companies don't have the huge resources for everything, so sound is their thing.

• Like 1

Yes ...it is their latest pre pro....NO video processing

Mine sells both also....he is the guy I bought the 80.3 from.....he is also had Emotiva...Still have my 80.3 ...back in the box. ARC makes all the difference.

It is really is cool. The Anthem is not packed with all the different sound formats.....but like I said ARC makes it worth it.

In time I will be selling the 80.3

Edited by oldred

Oldred,

Glad you are loving the Anthem AVM60.  IMO, sound quality(music/movies) trumps features every time.  I have considered on many occasions the Integra 80.3 and just about pulled the trigger on one right before I bought my NAD T175HD.  Both popped up around the same time on the used market for around the same price.  I was torn between the Integra and NAD because of the great experience I had with my Onkyo TX-SR705 and NAD T773 and their reliability.  While the Onkyo has been a winner for me, the NAD's sound quality is a step above with music and movies.  

I know Anthem has a similar philosophy with their products, especially with their award winning pre/pros.  The features may lag a bit behind the mass produced pre/pros from the big boys but their sound quality tends to be at another level with their top shelf ARC and quality parts.  Like I have mentioned before, the AVM60(or AVM50v2) is at the top of my list if my NAD takes a dump any time soon.

Oldred, when you get the networking thing all figured out, please report back.

Bill

Edited by willland

• 6 months later...

I will say I like it......pulled out 80.3 to do 5.1 duty in my family room. Haven't gone full Dolby Atmos yet......something about cutting holes in my ceiling that just made me put it off.

Is it worth it ....The AVM 60 that is .....hell yes...Also ....love the Playfi App thing.

Remember if you like all the playback formats.... they will be gone when going to the AVM 60. It does all the usual bluray sound formats ...but no Prologic IIx  or THX and none of the BS ones like church or game mode.

Over all sound quality is fantastic in both movies as well as 2 channel......seems like networking bugs have been fixed with firmware updates.

To be honest I thought about buying one of their MRX receivers for the family room.......but I think I am going to go more 2 channel in that room....plus I had all this other S..t just sitting in boxes...

I do have something completely different coming next week....You will see.....(hint 2 channel)...... to make the Chorus II's I just finished sing.....

Thanks,

G.E.M.

I missed this thread when it started.  Anthem make some really nice stuff.  Ceiling speakers are really easy to install.  All you need is a hack saw(small) and exacto knife.  The speakers come with a template and have four or six things that pop out to hold it in place.  You just need enough distance front a joist height wise.  I'm glad you are enjoying the pre-pro.  Nobody uses all the sound formats.  I just let the avr pic the format.