Klipsch RF-7 II B-stock compared to CF-3's?

avguytx

I get to wondering about this comparison as I contemplate either purchasing the parts to build the Belle clones I've talked about for so long or buying a pair of Belle's.  Since the Belle's are lacking in low end, without a sub (which I can do), and the CF-3's aren't lacking in low end, I contemplate the RF-7 II's now.  I can get a pair of B-stock at cost from a dealer I've known for 30 years so they would be reasonable.  

Has anyone owned both sets where they can give a comparison of the CF series versus the RF-7 II's?  I would imagine their low end is comparable being dual 10's but the RF-7's use rear firing ports versus the CF-3's front firing.  I can back my CF-3's up against the back wall where I would imagine the RF-7's need to come out more.  I'm about 12 feet back for listening position. Power won't be a problem for them as I have up to 460wpc from my Carver M-1.0t.  I've read only a couple of reviews where they thought the efficiency wasn't that great on the RF-7 II's although they are rated at 101db @ 1-watt.  But I also know the CF-3's don't really seem to be their rated similar efficiency, either.

I would think the RF-7 II's have a slight edge in the top end as their HF is at the top of the speaker in comparison to the CF-3's being in the middle at a lower point.  I keep my CF-3's tilted to account for this and, at the distance I'm from them, it works well.

What say ye?  Would it be a noteworthy upgrade from CF-3's to the RF-7's?  Or, would a full loaded Belle clone setup be more the cats meow?

Edited by avguytx

What say ye? Would it be a noteworthy upgrade from CF-3's to the RF-7's? Or, would a full loaded Belle clone setup be more the cats meow?

I haven't heard any of the speakers to which you are referring.  The only thing I can say in my ignorance is that they all have outstanding reputations whenever discussions of "the best" arise.

If you simply want to buy something and enjoy the music the RF-7 II sounds very modern.  OTOH a Belle clone sounds like a fun project that may help keep you out of trouble.

My vote is for you to KEEP the CF-3's, BUY the RF-7 II's, and BUILD that Belle clone!

Then you tell us what sounds better.  B)

Mega Millions is up to just over a quarter billion.

http://www.megamillions.com/

Mr. AV Guy from Texas, even with your extravagant lifestyle and lavish taste for speakers, you ought to be able to live comfortably on that for while.  

Remember, you can't win if you don't play!  B)

Edited by wvu80

The RF 7's need some room behind them but, not much if using a sub.  They are a great speaker from top to bottom.  Excellent for music or HT.  You don't nee much power with them, they are efficient.  You can't go wrong with the RF 7 II's.  I have never heard the CF 3's but, I would think the horn is a bit low where as, the horn is higher in the 7II's and closer to ear level.

I don't do home theater these days. Had a 6.2 channel setup in my house in DFW back when I was the rep for Sunfire, Elan,and Integra/Onkyo. But these days,it's just 2 channel for movies when that even happens. What makes me wonder about the lack of bass out of the RF-7's in my living room is how the KLF-30's had no bass in there with the rear firing ports. Unless you were 20 feet from them which was in the dining room.

Edited by avguytx

The RF 7/7 II's are not bass shy.   Make sure the speakers are not set to small, check the XO and other settings.  I have the RF 7 II's in a near 5000 cu ft. room and don't even use them with a sub most of the time.  When I'm not using the sub, the speakers are set to small and XO at 80 Hz.  Even with these settings, there is plenty of bass for my taste.