Crites A/4500 or AB-2 Networks for Belle's

TasDom

I recently replaced the K-77 tweeters in my Belle's with CT120's and soon will be replacing the AB crossovers.

Does any one have experience with both the AB-2 and the A/4500's with their Belle's? 

Seeking opinions of which was better (or worse) and what you liked or disliked.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I think I told you this in our PM, but I was wondering the same thing too. Something you might also want to consider dude, is your Belle's midhorn. I talked with Al K that does the ALK xovers and he recommended swapping out the horn first. So I contacted Dave from fastlandaudio, and ordered pair of Fastrac horns for my Scalas. Gonna take 3-4's before I pick them up but after taking with Dave he said swapping the K400 in my Scala would cut done on the shrillness that can sometimes be present and improve overall sound quality.

I think I told you this in our PM, but I was wondering the same thing too. Something you might also want to consider dude, is your Belle's midhorn. I talked with Al K that does the ALK xovers and he recommended swapping out the horn first. So I contacted Dave from fastlandaudio, and ordered pair of Fastrac horns for my Scalas. Gonna take 3-4's before I pick them up but after taking with Dave he said swapping the K400 in my Scala would cut done on the shrillness that can sometimes be present and improve overall sound quality.

I'm not experiencing any shrillness or anything of a harsh nature. In fact, they are sounding wonderful at the moment. I know the crossovers being so old need a refresh and the AB's have been criticized for a long time so just getting a few opinions on changing them out.

Lot's of folks happy with Dave's horns...let us know how they work out. :emotion-21:

FWIW I asked Bob:

"The A/4500 and AB-2 would be somewhat different, but some prefer the A/4500 and some prefer the AB-2.  I can’t really say because I have not personally compared those two crossovers in a Belle.  I know that I really like the A/4500 in a Lascala which should be similar."

Luckily I haven't experienced any of it either, but I look forward to overal sound performance increase with the Fastracs. I've read the AB xovers were on the rough side. Glad you have the AB2's. Hopefully you'll get some more performance with the 4500's if you decide to go with them.

I like the Type A and AA. If you like to jack on the volume a bit, go with the AA. The Type A sounds better to me overall - but you really can't get carried away with the volume.

I built an A/4500, and there was too much tweeter for my tastes. Realize that this is a very individualized kind of thing - there is really no way to predict what you'll like.

I always tell people to do the networks first. The K-400 isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Cleaning up the network really improves the sound. You should still do the horns though - definitely.

• Like 2

I replaced my ABs with the A4500 and thought it was a great move. 6000hz pushes the K55s/K400 to their limits to protect the k77s. There wasn't a huge change but it was noticeably improved. Note that most of the improvement was replacing the 20 year old ABs but I definitely liked the result. I have AAs in my LaScalas and prefer the A4500 but not by any great margin. I would go for the 4500 since you already have the upgraded tweeter to handle the lower xover point. I can loan you the A4500s if you want a test drive.

• Like 1

I replaced my ABs with the A4500 and thought it was a great move. 6000hz pushes the K55s/K400 to their limits to protect the k77s. There wasn't a huge change but it was noticeably improved. Note that most of the improvement was replacing the 20 year old ABs but I definitely liked the result. I have AAs in my LaScalas and prefer the A4500 but not by any great margin. I would go for the 4500 since you already have the upgraded tweeter to handle the lower xover point. I can loan you the A4500s if you want a test drive.

Wow, very generous offer Mookie but I couldn't do that. I really do appreciate the offer tho. I'll probably order a pair in a couple of weeks.

The speakers really do sound phenomenal right now but I know they need to be brought back to spec aside the new tweeters.