Best way to care for grille-less speakers? (Heresy II)

Hi, everybody!

Things are really great with the KP-201s I picked up not long ago. Sound pours out of them like water...as long as the grilles are off. I wasn't a believer that grille on/grille off made a significant change in sound, but I didn't like the sound of them at all until I took off the grilles. It's a shame, since I really like the look of the ones they came with, but the sound from the HF horn seems to get eaten entirely by the grille.

Since these are far from new (1989!), I'm especially concerned with preserving the longevity of the composite (?) cones and surrounds, as well as the compression drivers. Is there anything worth knowing about taking care of these when exposed to dust? How much risk is associated with dusting inside the horns, and can the cones be dusted at all? Thanks!

No dogs/ cats/ feral women or children in home I hope?

That would probably be biggest hazard(s).

If so, how about covering the woofers with a dedicated grille? Many styles available, inexpensive.   Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie
  • Like 1

Some time ago, for years, I lived in a household w frequent ballistic coffeecups, ashtrays, spatulas, etc.

More than one model ship also almost went into orbit.

Not propelled by my hand.

So, having experienced that, I ask.

Thank God that ended.

We had a post on the Forum here awhile ago with a normally behaved pup totally chewing up an exposed Copper cone speaker.

Don't forget,  in many Klipsch speakers through the years, the mid and tweet horns are totally open and exposed from the factory.

Think La Scala, etc., etc.

No reason you can't dust a woofer cone with a gentle old fashion feather or other duster ala Felix Unger.

Nothing to worry about past what's said above.

Oh, and the choice of election candidates.   Lars

Oh, and be wary of marking male dogs as well.

That's why I elevated mine by  5".

(He has short legs, although "well hung")

Edited by Karsoncookie

As for dust, I would get one of these lambswool dusters. They are great for getting in small spaces and grabbing the little particles:

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-10124-24-Inch-Lambswool-Duster/dp/B001CFO4FE/ref=sr_1_10_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469628134&sr=1-10&keywords=feather+duster

If you are concerned about the woofer getting scratched or kicked I would get a set of these from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-heavy-duty-12-speaker-grill--262-864

You can probably just use a little bit of hot glue on them to hold it to the speaker if you dont want to permanently screw them in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 8:26 AM, Karsoncookie said:

Some time ago, for years, I lived in a household w frequent ballistic coffeecups, ashtrays, spatulas, etc.

You lived in the Whitehouse?!!?!!!!  :D