Altec 511b horn and K55V driver combo ??

Mike,

The Cobreflex is the one you heard with the University Classic, but you didn't hear it with the K55. I had the University T-30 driver on the horn. The T-30 is an 8 Ohm driver and won't mate with klipsch or Al's network. These networks are for 16 Ohm midrange drivers. The 805B is the huge 8 cell horn that I had in the garage. I don't know if you saw the 288-16K driver for it. It's the size of a soccer ball. You would remember it if you saw it. You havn't heard this one.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q and Al,

I wasn't aware that I should be looking for a 16 ohm driver for the 511B. Now I'm all confused again. I have heard a bunch of info on the 511B horn and thought that was the one to get.

As for the driver, I'm a little confused there as well. At first, I thought I wanted the 806-8A but I now believe that is the 800hz driver for the 811B horn. Then I thought it was the 808-8A driver that was best suited for the 500hz 511B horn. Tom Brennan then says that the 902-8A is a better driver than the 808-8A and I thought was the answer. Does the 8A identify it as a 8 ohm driver and if so, will I still be able to match it up with the ALK's?

Lastly, Q-Man says there are better Altec alternatives than the 511B and plans on bringing over an 805B horn (I'm assuming this is an 800hz horn) and a 288 driver. Will this work with the ALK's? I have heard the Cobraflex horn hooked up to the University driver and it was without question, better sounding than the K-400/K-55 combo. I will be curious to see how it sounds with a K-55 driver.

Anyway, as you can see, this is certainly not my expertise but I am interested in hearing what my La Scala's sound like with these different horn/driver combinations.

Thanks for all your help,

Mike

Mike,

When I bought the 805B's , which by the way are 500Hz horns, I happened to find an Altec Guru selling them. He gave me the number of the Altec horn that he believes is their best sounding horn. I have the number filed away somewhere. I don't think you would want to use the 805 w/LaScalas, because they are too big. It's about 26" wide, 16" high, 22" deep, and about 32" deep with the driver. Some people are using this combo with Klipschorns. I'm bringing this so you have something else to compare.

I'm not saying not to use the 511. I don't have one and have never heard one. I just happen to have the cobreflex, so I feel that it will give you a good idea what a horn change will do for you. It's folded, the lenth is about 27" and is a 300Hz horn.

I don't think you should change the horn & the driver at the same time. It would be better to first try the K-55 with a different horn and compare that to the 400. This will simply give you an idea if you like the wider dispersion or not. If you do, that may be all you need or care to change. Then from this point you can try another driver. If you change both the driver and horn at the same time, you won't know which of the two is producing most of the change that you like or dislike. It's best to take baby steps. Sometimes I change too many things at one time.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mike--Altec made 1" compression drivers in both 8 and 16 ohms, the 808-8A is 8 ohm. 8 and 16 ohm drivers sound the same, which is used depends on the crossover used. The 806 driver can be used down to 500hz with no problem, I've used them at 500 1st order even. The 806 was used most often on the 811 horn because it was designed primarily for home use and most Altec home hi-fi systems used the 811 horn. Compared to the 802 the 806 has a smaller magnet and has 2db less efficency and output. The 900 series drivers have the tangerine phase plug for better highs and no-anxiety ferrite magnets.

As for multi-cells, some like them in the home and some don't but those who like them are quite fanatical about them. They have a tendancy for high frequency "fingering" from the individual horns. I've never used them myself but have a pair of tarfilled 10 cells on the way. I will see.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

I have JBL 375s (2" drivers) mounted to Community BRH90 curved front bi-radial horns in my custom made 60's vintage K-horns. The 375 produces articulate details and sheer power, and the BRH90 disperses it everywhere. They measure 33" across by 11" high. I removed the front grill of my upper section and stuffed them in there - they span the entire cabinet! I then put the EV T-35 tweeters vertically (slanted back about 30 degrees) on the top of the cabinet towards the back so its voicecoil is above the 375's voicecoil. Centering the voicecoils like this vertically really helps with stereo imaging. Getting the tweeter off the front baffle and setting it back makes the mid/high transition more blended and smoother to my ears. These 2 changes made a night and day difference in my sound!

------------------

mr.bob

Hi guys,

I seem to have lost the 8 Ohm tap setting list that I made up for my network! I will have to regenerate it. Anyhow, the bottom line is that all you need to do is adjust the taps for the right level by ear with an 8 ohm driver. It will be correct even without changing the 10 Ohm resistor.

The "normal" setting looks to be about 1-4.

Al K.

Q and Tom,

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take Q's advice and start out with just the 511-B Horns using my existing K-55 drivers and Al's network. This should require no changes except for removing the K-55 from the K401 Squawker and then mounting them to the 511-B. It looks like I will probably have to pick up the mounting kit in order to do this properly. Mostly because I have no DIY skills.

When I am familiar with the differences between the K401 and the 511-B, I will try and score a pair of 902-8A's to mate up with the 511-B's. This of course is if I find the 511-B to sound better than the K401. I guess I will also have to mess with the taps on Al's networks to coincide with the ohmage difference of the Squawker driver.

Look forward to the get together, Q...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by mr.bob:

I have JBL 375s (2" drivers) mounted to Community BRH90 curved front bi-radial horns in my custom made 60's vintage K-horns. The 375 produces articulate details and sheer power, and the BRH90 disperses it everywhere. They measure 33" across by 11" high. I removed the front grill of my upper section and stuffed them in there - they span the entire cabinet! I then put the EV T-35 tweeters vertically (slanted back about 30 degrees) on the top of the cabinet towards the back so its voicecoil is above the 375's voicecoil. Centering the voicecoils like this vertically really helps with stereo imaging. Getting the tweeter off the front baffle and setting it back makes the mid/high transition more blended and smoother to my ears. These 2 changes made a night and day difference in my sound!

I think putting the tweeter back MAY be a good idea, depending on the type of x-over network you're using.

I once read (is this true?) that it only worked really fine with 1st order x-overs...

Q-Man: While it is well known that a 511B benefits from dampening, how about the Cobraflex? Pictures indicate to me that the original Cobraflex is rather stout, but the Cobraflex 2 looks to be thinner 'walled'. What is your experience?

Think I'll pick-up a CF or 2 to dink with.

Tim - A 'SAHF' is the mid-driver Klipsch used prior to the K55. Made by University for a host of applications, it was used in Klipsch speaker systems from 1951 - 1961 (according to 'The Dope From Hope' vol 12, #5). The 'CobraFlex' horn is a mid-range horn made by University. It's folded style is appealing as it's mounting 'depth' does not have to be as great as a non-folded unit.

------------------

Ed

Well... I am the proud new owner of a pair of 511B's. I might have paid a bit much for them but they are only an hour away (in Melbourne) and I won't have to pay shipping. I'll probably swing by Q's house on the way back home and see how they sound, if he's up to it.

Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=905900874

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-16-2002 at 09:24 PM

Tom,

Thanks, but no.. That link is for the standard list for 16 Ohm drivers revised. I was talking about a different list for 8 ohm drivers that I made up but never made public. I did send it to several customers but I don't remember who! Anyhow, I seem to have lost the paper I had it written on. I probably chunked it out without realizing it. I needed to be revised also, so it's really no big loss.

Al K.

Ed

The folding of the Cobreflex makes it a stable horn. Maybe the mouth area would benefit from some dampening, but I don't find the need to dampen any of my horns.I only use my University for a rear center channel right now, so it doesn't get much use.

I'm getting to the point that after I build some of these old bass horns to see what they sound like, I don't really have a use for them. One of the Universities is still in knock down form, because I didn't want to assemble it and take up room. I need to move and build a demo room to play anound in. This would allow me to also do more serious comparisions.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Thanks, Al! From the looks of it, it seems it would be Order# 1881 and Model: ADF25-35. I hope that's the one because I'm ordering a pair tomorrow...

Mike

Edit: It looks like the same adaptor that Parts Express sells for $4.95/each. Here is a link to it...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&Product_ID=6336

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-17-2002 at 10:35 PM