How do these compare to the Moondogs?

Radiohead

Okay!

I hooked the AE-1 up to my rig this evening. Made sure everything was just so and fired that puppy up. I put in a CD and slowly turned up the volume...nothing! I

re-checked everything and all connections were tight and in their proper places. I did notice when I put in the tubes that the Tungsol 6SN7s that I received with the preamp didn't have that plastic center piece with the locator pin, just a pointy piece of glass to go in the center pin alignment hole...does the orientation of the tube matter?

I removed the Tungsol's and put in a spare pair of 6SN7s and I was in business. My first impression is that the AE-1 sounds very nice! The first thing I noticed was that the balance leans to the left at low volume just like I experienced with the AE-3. It is probably due to the sensitivity of the Khorns and disappeared at moderate volume (~75dB or so, didn't get out the SPL meter).

I am going to let everything warm up for awhile before I do any serious listening.

I am doubtful that I will be able to do a fair comparison between the AE-1 and the AE-3. My room acoustics have changed so much that a valid comparison seems impossible. My room still is not finished and is resonate as hell. This weekend we hung drapes over the french doors and curtains over the windows but we had to take them down again Sunday night as there is more drywall sanding to do. I had also put other acoustic treatments at various positions around the room and I was pretty happy with the sound overall but those came down too. I won't be able to put all that stuff back 'till they are done sanding and painting.

I'll post further as time and my DSL allows (it has been down more than up since Sunday).

This message has been edited by edster00 on 09-10-2002 at 06:51 PM

db - Thanks for the feedback. I think I will be happy wth any of the AES line, I might just have to try several of them. The Wrights will be keepers, as is my Rega. It might be doing the edster pre-amp game until I find out what I like.

The AES AE-3 DJH looks interesting. I like the idea of tube rectification, which I belive the AE-1 does not have? It would make an interesting comparision.

Edster - Thanks for the post, sorry to hear about your DSL troubles. I've been there.

Mobile - Howss Gustav treating you?