How do these compare to the Moondogs?

Radiohead

Thought I would post this for those in the market and are interested. I am also curious to know everyone's opinion on them seeing as the pics show much detail.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1377973119

------------------

Eico HF-81

1975 Walnut Klipschorns

This message has been edited by Radiohead on 09-06-2002 at 01:05 PM

"The Moondogs have more control but the Wright Sounds amps have an amazing midrange."

After doing a search I came up with one post in which you, MH, said this.

Would you please explain control? Also, between the Moondogs and these which would be better mated with the Klipschorns? If you know that is.

------------------

Eico HF-81

1975 Walnut Klipschorns

Yah...did that already.

All that comes up are posts similar to mine where someone is alerting the board to the fact that the amp is available somewhere. Then once that takes place all the posts go off on tangents of their own and don't pertain to discussing the pro's/con's of the amp itself.

It is no big deal really, I was just hoping someone who has heard them with Khorns could provide some feedback. Take care.

------------------

Eico HF-81

1975 Walnut Klipschorns

As Mike said, enter "wright 2a3" in 2 channel. You should get a handful of responses, all positive.

The Wright Sound 2A3 monos have an excellent midrange and are very sweet sounding with good extension with both the top and bottom. The Moondogs have a more potent low end in my opion and sound a bit more powerful with more control and perhaps a blacker background or silence between the notes. There are several here with Moondogs now running Heritage Belle, KHorn, and Cornwalls. Mine happen to be highly tweaked units with some options that you dont see on others such as Tantalum resistors in place of the Caddock and Jensen Copper Oils (which are seen on quite a few). Mine also has a higher value PS ELNA cap then almost any of the Moondogs I have seen. In addition, I dont think anyone here has a MagneQuest transformer version (they later switched to Electra-Print outputs - most of the reviews were with the MQ DS-025).

BUT, I have heard the Wright Sound 3.5 2A3 Monos on several systems and think they are EXCELLENT amps. They have a certain beguiling quality that is extremely enticing. I count them as some of the best deals in the SET world. To be honest, I could be happy with either of these although I think the Moondog might sound a touch better in some ways. To be honest, in other ways, I like the Wrights just as much. I dont think you could go wrong with either. Of course, I do think the Moondogs are visually far more appealing, but the WRights are certainly no ugly duckling. The Moondogs have higher quality parts but the Wrights sound damn good - the MagneQuest TFA-204 output is a SWEEET sounding unit and the anchor of the Wrights.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Ummmmm... I go into GREAT detail on the sound of these amps countless times within this forum. It's all there.

One of the later posts:

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001647.html

I actually think the Wrights are a no-brainer when you have everything else optimized in your system. They really do show the flaws elsewhere.

Just FYI, there are a few others interested in this auction within this forum.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-06-2002 at 02:01 PM

I did, and I am in the process of auditioning replacements. Nothing firm yet. So many alternatives to consider. Power, tubes (types), Monoblock, stereo, ect...

Very bewildering.

As Mobile has said about the Wrights, (paraphrasing, of course) "You can buy them and then sell them for what you paid - it is a no- lose situation". I would like to have that arrangement again in my next set of amps.

Jobman

I'm pleased that Tim got them ... Our bids were just a few bucks apart but he was the better bidder (say that three times fast Smile.gif )

I'd love to own a system like Edster has ... Dogs and the killer pre-amp. Will have to wait for those a little while since they hardly ever come up for sale. I also have to paint the house, finish the family room and replace the deck in the back of the house before winter. Cash flow is decidedly negative for now.

Anyway, I have the Eico to keep me warm this winter if need be Smile.gif

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 09-09-2002 at 08:30 PM

I am very happy someone from this BB got the Wright's also. I am sure Tim is going to be very pleased with them.

Chris, just be patient! There is another pair with your name on them just around the corner! Are you heading down this way anytime soon? The rig is back together and although the room isn't finished I am able to do some serious listening again. Let me know.

Hey Craig,

They are still messing around...but I did put my gear back together this weekend for a good listening session. I now have a lot of room acoustics to deal with but I got a good start on that too this weekend.

Everything is covered up in moving blankets now, for if and when they do the final drywall sanding/painting, but at least I got a taste of what I have been missing this past weekend.

Well, It looks like I'm going to purchase Eds AES preamp to go along with the Wright 2A3s. Well at least as long as he doesn't change his mind to sell it after he listens to it... ;-)

I really didn't know about the AES / Cary relationship, so I'm glad you mentioned it Ed. Seems to be yet another great bargain in the audio world.

Chris, sorry to have just squeaked past you. I wasn't sure that any other BB members would be bidding. At least you will be doing real important things with your money, the money I have saved for the new patio just bought that 2A3! Oh well, I guess I can figure out something to tell the wife.

I thought for a few hours I would not be bidding at all, Just 4 hours before the bidding was to end, my power went OFF. Internet went down and stayed down. I thought just my luck. Internet came on 3 1/2 hours later just before the auction ended. I got lucky no doubt.

Mobile - Thanks for your input. One question regarding the AES AE1 pre... Is the Cary SLP98 based on it, or the other way around? I've heard it both ways, so I'm confused.

- tb

You should let ole Edster listen to the AES AE-1 first to see how it goes, just to be sure. Ed will tell you how it fares compared to other offerings, and since he just sold his AE-3 DJH, it's a pretty good comparison. His AE-3 was factory wired and had all the options. In addition, Ed has had a few passive offerings.

Congratulations on the Wrights by the way. I hope they sound great. What speakers do you now have? They would probably sound really nice with Khorns. One bit of advice, I would go ahead and order a pair of Sovtek 2A3 and start breaking them in (it takes a few hundred hours for them to fully smooth out, despite the grumbling). The Sovteks are nice tubes and while not equal to the more sublime nature of vintage valves, they have a lot of good qualities. Your RCA 2A3 appear to be Gray Plates which are not quite as good as the CRC VT95 Black Plates but still very sweet. Some complain of their softer sound. The Sovteks make a good worker tube but the monoplate vintage (which are VERY $$$) and the RCA have the magic. You will be VERY surprised how small these amps are, i'll tell you that. You cah almost carry one in each hand! I would also write George Wright aftaer giving them a listen and see what he says about the hum mod that he performs for units over a year old.

As for which came first with the AE-1 and the SLP-98, I heard that the AE-1 was first, which spawned the SLP-98. Then again, this might not be right. There ARE big differences between the two, not the least of which is the separate power supply instead of having the trans on the unit. This is more important with a phono stage but still does make a difference. The builder of that unit did all sorts of mods.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile -

I am interested in Eds opinion on how it compares with the AE-3 DJH. I've read some postings on AA with some comparisions and comments on the sound differences. If what I read is correct, the AE-1 should be better.

I didn't think of putting different tubes in the Wright just yet. I'm sure you know what your talking about so I'll make a note to get those soon.

LOL - I'm sure the Wrights will sound GREAT with K-Horns. One thing at a time. I don't have that kind of room anyway. I'm using kg4s and RB 5IIs now as they are very neighbor friendly and I listen mostly nearfield. Keeping my eyes open for a decent pair of Cornwalls within driving distance.

Hum Mod? I think I recall reading something about a very slight hum on the Wrights, but didn't know if i read that correctly. Care to eleborate?

- tb

WEll, the RCA gray plate 2A3 might not be to your liking so to be safe, I would order the very inexpensive Sovtek 2A3 to have them when you get your amps. You'll thank me on this one.

See about the clearest pic of the Wright Sound 3.5 there is. I took this with the excellent Olympus 2020 digital and added some Paintshop Pro.

Photo: http://www.progressive-engineering.com/i-vol/images/wright1_full_1000.jpg

As for the hum question, please see this thread from the SET Asylum. I actually stirred ole George Wright onto the ye olde SET Asylum, the first time ever I believe (the first for George on any forum). The discussion brought about this policy to fix the low level hum so it was a good thing. Take a look and see the responses and discussion in the link below (including George's own reply). Interesting.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=set&n=17386&

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-10-2002 at 12:21 AM

I have the Wrights and an AES AE-3 preamp. It is not the DJH version, but has been modified.

I am using a pair of Lascalas.

In one word all I can say is awesome. The sound is so clean and alive. I have all the power I need.

I have used this combo with a pair of KLF20s and a pair of Heresys. Sounded different with each speaker, but very good.

The tubes make a difference which is true for any amp.

I do have a little hum, but nothing I cant live with. I am going to send them back to George for the upgrade once I upgrade my Waves.

What is so sad about this hobby is I have enough equipment to have a system in every room in the house.

I would get rid of all my equipment except the Wrights, Lascalas and the Rega CD player.

I dont think you will have any regrets.

Danny