Considering upgrading my Onkyo TX-NR5008 Receiver to a Dolby Atmos Receiver

Youthman

10 hours ago, JiminSTL said:

Hey, Scrappy,

Have a friend who is a prime candidate for a 4200 (or something very similar).  Do you have a feel for if/when they may sell for less than the $640 at A4L?

Also, am interested to know more about your thought about NOT going 4k.  My friend says he wants to be able to enjoy 4k at some point (he does not have a 4k TV presently), but that easily could be years if his current 70" Sharp Acquos continues to perform).  I mean, he loves the picture (1080p) that he has right now.  But will all 4k require HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0?  

If he gets an AVR that can upscale to 1080p, and even HDMI to HDMI upscaling, and all to 4k if he gets such a TV, is that something that I should be advising to think about, or not?  I suspect that I am skipping/missing something here.  It may be that he could be just as well off, or even better off, with a super deal on an AVR that is not 2.2 compliant???

Will appreciate all thoughts!

This stuff is beyond me. I just haven't read up on any of the compliance stuff yet cause frankly I just don't care about any of it. I'm satisfied with 1080p for now because for one it's fine and two I can't afford any 4K projectors right now lol. 

Id almost always say it's best to get current just in case. BUT if you found a heck of a deal on a one year older model it may be best to get it. 

10 hours ago, Youthman said:

I guess it depends on what receiver....some receivers are only 7 channels.  I would need a 9ch receiver to do 5.4.4.

Exactly. I believe both the x4200 and x6200 are both 9 channels. I could be wrong though. I just don't read up on stuff as much when I'm not in the market for them. I only brush up on minor stuff for new denon models JUST in case I decide atmos would be fun one of these days. 

1 hour ago, Scrappydue said:

Exactly. I believe both the x4200 and x6200 are both 9 channels. I could be wrong though. I just don't read up on stuff as much when I'm not in the market for them. I only brush up on minor stuff for new denon models JUST in case I decide atmos would be fun one of these days. 

The x4200 is a 7 channel receiver, the x6200 is a 9 channel receiver. I love my x6200