AL-3 Question

Tarheel TJ

Can someone who is more knowledgeable than me answer a question?  I know the A/AA crossovers just lets the squawker roll off naturally (i.e. there is no low-pass filter to roll off the highs).  Is this true for the AL-3 as well?  Looking at the schematic, it has the k-55 wired parallel with an inductor, which makes me think it has a low-pass on the squawker? 

I am wondering if it might be possible to switch out the k-55 and k-400 with a 2" compression driver and appropriate 2" throat horn.  However, I know the 2" drivers will likely not roll-off at the same frequency as the k-55.  This would require a low-pass on the squawker to keep it from overlapping the tweeter.  I am wondering if the AL-3 would take care of this, or do I need to go to an ALK-type crossover?

Thanks

The AL-3 will have to go. Yes, the inductor forms a low pass, but that doesn't help you. The new driver will be much more sensitive, so you need to attenuate more, which changes the 13uF to a different value. 

What compression driver are you looking at? How loud do you listen?

Thanks for the reply.  I figured that might be the case.

I have been looking at the Radian 651PB, Eminence PSD3006 and B&C DE750TN.  They are all available in 16 ohm versions and they all seem to be within a decibel or two of the K-55's rated sensitivity (110dB).  I figured that would offer the best chance of working with the AL-3's attenuation settings.

I do like to listed fairly loud at times.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Deang.  I have decided to go for the ALK crossovers before trying to fiddle with different compression drivers.  It seems like the best course of action.  Of course, my tube amp decided to stop working last night, so I guess I'll have to get that sorted out first.  It's always something, haha.