I Hate Compact Subs!!!!!!

prodj101

I don't know why everyone always raves about the sunfire subs. Oh there so loud for such a small sub. Exactly! for a small sub they are very loud! but, put them up against a behemoth like the HGS-18 or commercial subs, and they are nothing but a flea! it is physicaly impossible for a small subwoofer to outpreform a larger one of equal quality. I hear people saying, "oh, the sunfire signiture can beat many 15 inch subs!", yeah, maybe those acoustic research 15 inch subs that cost 250 bucks from crutchfield. My point is, if these are so loud, why don't you see DJ's or bands using them? they're so much smaller so they'd be portable, yet they would be much more loud and accurate. makes ya think eh?

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Man, easy now, I love big speakers, have 4 klf20's in my living room, but for someone with a small house and the wife say's no big speakers, this is a way to get big speaker sound in a small box, then hell yes I would buy one, nobody would thank that much sound would come out of a tiny box, Mark

I like my smaller, more powerful LF10 much better than my bigger, boomier KSW200 and think it is well worth twice the price - does a much better job, with twice the power in your RSW15, you would think it was much better too, what the Sunfire amps does is give lots of power ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

The Sunfire Signature isn't quite the match for the Velodyne HGS-18,or a pair of the SVS ultras, but it will blow away most any thing elce up in the $2,500.00 range. It will go lower and louder then the commercial subs. The commercial subs die below 40Hz., but will be louder then the Signature above that. Klipsch subs die below 30Hz., but are good if you all you do is listen to music. They are also alright if you don't have very efficient speakers. If you have the Heritage line of speakers above the Cornwall the Klipsch subs and many others can't keep up. If your into Home Theater you need a sub that can pound out the sound at 20Hz. and many can't do that.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

prodj101,

I start to worry about your mental health!Why did you all of a sudden explode?

I never said a Sunfire SIgnature will ouperform a Velodyne HGS18.I have a few subs,and this includes the Signature and HGS18.The HGS18 will best the Sunfire Signature by a good 6dB at 31.5Hz.It is to be expected as the HGS18 is a BIG cube and the Signature a small cube.Put two Signatures and you will have matched output at 31.5Hz,the HGS bests the Signature around 20Hz and under(still weak compared to SVS Ultras).

Now compare the Revel B15 to the larger HGS18,guess what? The Revel stands toe to toe with the HGS18 to 20Hz!

"I hear people saying, "oh, the sunfire signiture can beat many 15 inch subs!", yeah, maybe those acoustic research 15 inch subs that cost 250 bucks from crutchfield."

Really,so most subs can dish out 117dB at 31.5Hz! Sure sure LOL Only large SVS,Velodyne HGS and the heavy duty big boys.

"My point is, if these are so loud, why don't you see DJ's or bands using them?"

And why are SVS not used,or Revel,or Veodyne? DUH

Cerwin Vega PRO,Klipsch PRO,JBL PRO,TAD,Mackie and company are.Why they build massive horn loaded sbass bins,these quite inexpensive designs will pound over 130dB per unit.Here maximum SPL counts,not max quality.

Home subs even SVS or Krell are not "loud" compared to pro bass bins,as each bass bin can belt over 135dB!Use an array of 10 or 20 and you get massive SPL to fill huge spaces.Home subs are designed for much smaller spaces.

DOH

"yet they would be much more loud and accurate."

They are NOT,never said anything like this.Accurate?!So the loud blasting bass bins are! LOL Sure

cwm27.gif

Get some sleep and rest.Your incoherent right now.

Hey people lets burn all the compact Velodynes,Sunfires,Earthquake subs because they have no right to perform well. cwm1.gif

And lets only buy HUGE 18" horn loaded subs and power them with Krell MRA.Yes that is it,we all need 150dB at 20Hz!!! LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I need 20 hz at 140 db. if they could fit in my house, believe me, I would have them. besides, who wants to boast about a 10 inch sub?

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

i have been a bassaholic for 20 yrs. i have made my living at it for 16 yrs. manufactures are being forced into extreme bass in a compact box. so what you see is what a lot of people have asked for. if you dont give people what they want, you will go out of business. some people dont want to take up space in the trunk. the wife in most cases wont let you junk up the room with boxes that give you heart stopping bass.

any way, i do agree, i have not heard a small box or any premade, off the shelf, with an amplifier built in that i thought sounded good. i am hard to please when it comes bass. i think bass should be tight,hit hard,and not sound muddy. i also like it loud. i have had alot of subs in 20 yrs. i beleive what i have now is the best i have ever heard. i currently have parasound hca 1000a brigded to a klipsch pro ki-115-b. music needs to be fun. different subs serve different needs, its all just opinions.

"who wants to boast about a 10 inch sub"

I will. I am totally delighted with my REL Strata 3, 10 inch sub. I have no idea what the output levels are, of course, but I talk in terms of integration to a system - not the abilities to blow the doors off the house.

I do know it goes down to 20 Hz if that is any help - for all I know it may go lower - but the test CD didnt.

On the other hand, as a box, it aint exactly small - I dont know what is in there but it is one big unit!! (Not SVS big, but big - at least twice the size of my old KSW 10, maybe more)

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

Sad,some think the only way to go is a 24" woofa in da biggo box driven my a megawatt of power.

As musical as the Saturn V moonrocket with the punch of a 400mm battleship cannon.Yeepee

All rejoyce

So delicate it hurts,the fabric of music is ripped open again!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear,

In your wide experience of all things sub-woofer have you come across the Rel? I would be interested in your impressions - although as I have said repeatedly I think we look for different things in a sub.

Of course, from what I understand they are rather expensive items in the US so it may not be the good buy over there that it is on this side of the pond.

Yes I have,both the Strata,Q200E,Q400 and the awesome Stentor II(now I think they have the Stentor III)

Let me tell ya this the Rel Stentor II bests all Velodynes,Revels,SVS(Ultra)...even the awesome Aerial is sub bass quality for music.

Rel will not stampede on a SVS Ultra on movies,not a chance,but on music the Rel takes the Ultra to school.

And there is an even better musical sub! The Talon Roc,using dual 12" drivers.Goes for around $3000US and if there ever was such a thing as the most musical sub the Roc is it.The Roc even bests the Stentor II in my view,and this is someting!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

AT $35000US not a fat chance in the blue hell.

The Talon Roc maybe,the SVS Ultras...for sure,but not a sub over 5 grand.And not any over 30 grand...in US dollars please! cwm3.gif

I prefer Ultra toilet paper rolls with super duty TC Sounds drivers signed by TV. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Maxg said:

"who wants to boast about a 10 inch sub"

I will. I am totally delighted with my REL Strata 3, 10 inch sub. I have no idea what the output levels are, of course, but I talk in terms of integration to a system - not the abilities to blow the doors off the house.

I do know it goes down to 20 Hz if that is any help - for all I know it may go lower - but the test CD didnt.

On the other hand, as a box, it aint exactly small - I dont know what is in there but it is one big unit!! (Not SVS big, but big - at least twice the size of my old KSW 10, maybe more)

I'll boast about my 10inch sub also! I also have a REL, the Storm III. They claim it goes down to 18hz and I also tried it with a sine sweep signal. It rumbled the house all the way to 20hz when the signal quit. I also agree with TheEARS, it will not likely compare to the Ultras in output, but it sure is one of the best that I have ever listened to when it comes to music (without going to the more expensive models). It does deliver for me when it comes to movies also.

Yes, REL is pricey over here. I paid around $1800 US dollars (after a discount) for the Storm III. However, I do love this sub and plan on sticking with it for a while. Future plans will be to eventually get something like a Dual SVS Ultra and then pairing the REL with a two-channel music setup. (Keeping eyes out for a pair of K-horns, LaScalas, or Belles cheap on the second-hand market).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Skon,

Funny how things vary in price across the globe. Over here Klipsch are generally 2 to 3 times more expensive new than they are in the US (even worse second hand - they hold their value really well).

On the other hand the Strata 3 I picked up brand new and in the box set me back under $1000.

My current system (which includes both Klipsch and the Rel) would cost almost exactly the same in the US as it cost me here - but getting there is a very different process.

I am sure that were I ever to go into home theatre again I would revisit my sub choice (or at least add a second Rel) but as it stands now, for 2 channel, there are a lot of items I would upgrade first, before looking at subs.