Eico tube testers, any good?

Tom Mobley

Most EICO testers do not test mutual cunductance which is said to be the most important test. I have Hickok and EICO I like them both and they both test tubes about the same and hold true when in curcuit as to there relative performance against each other with either tester.

Hickok's are known to be the best. BK also makes some nice tester. Try dropping Chris Haedt email a line and see what he has available he restores testers and buying one off ebay may still require work to get it to test properly.

Good luck

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Just as above except something like the TV-7 is going to cost a bit more but is a GREAT tester. IF you are going to get into tubes heavily, it really pays to get a nice tester although they arent always so easy to calibrate. Remember, many of the old testers actually run in tubes as well. As above, wait for a good Mutual Conductance tester. Also, if you ever plan on going single-ended triode, try to find a tester that tests 4-pin tubes, something that all dont do.

I have a Hickok 800K which is a version of the 600 series of testers which are a good compromise. Make sure you have the tube measurement list for the settings as well. These can be downloaded. I have the Tube Data lists (both old and new) for the Hickok 600-800 series of testers. I also have the manual, both in .pdf form (the manual explains how to calibrate).

See my tester below:

hickok_800_b.jpg

Getting a good tester is becoming more difficult and ebay doesnt have as many bargains here compared to three or four years ago. And who knows the condition of the units.

I got lucky and someone liteally gave me a unit when I used to post all the time on the SET Asylum. People used to send me things and this very nice guy in California sent me a Hickok 800K that he had calibrated (he even went as far as to send a tube with it he tested, to retest once here to see if anything was off during shipping). As you can see, I was lucky as hell here. I had been borrowing a unit for awhile.

It has come in handy more than a few times and if you really start collecting tubes, is the only way to get an idea where you stand.

This is one of the best pages on Hickok testers anywhere. A must read if interested in tube testers.

http://www2.gdi.net/~padgett/hickok.htm

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-09-2002 at 05:01 PM

Craig, I replied to you about this over in the HF-81 thread.

I ran across a guy who has a large amount of old gear, he's selling me this Eico I think because he got another "mint" one. It's not nice looking at all, but apparently works well. I think it's all stock, unmodified.

I'll be posting about it when it comes in.

Tom

Mike,

Okay I'll be glad to research it for you. My Dad has a BK 707 and its a real nice tester but only tested mutual condunctance on some tubes.

Tom,

Glad you scored one. There so much of the HF-81 posting going on right now its hard to keep track of who bought what LOL !!!!

Craig

Craig,

Okay, I picked up this B+K mutual conductance tube tester.

It's a model 550.

The tube chart is strange, when you look up tubes like 6BQ5, 6CA4, 6EU7, 6DJ8, etc.. it calls for socket 610.

The unit only has 52 sockets.

I don't understand this, I don't have the manual, but have the tube chart.

I wonder if there was a extension socket, or I am missing something here or what.

I know I can test 12AX7's and 6L6's so I'll test some of these tonight.

The unit works, I've tested tubes on it before.

I bought some Amperex 12AX7's off Ebay, The unit matched real close to the test measurements for each tube from the auction.

It's just this damn socket 610 trip!