RP-5'S

JEFKlipsch

Been a long time since I've been on....life happens

Sold off most of my stuff...but tripped over an estate sale deal I couldn't pass upand need advice....

Picked up a pair of RP-5's and a set of Quintet SL 5....a  ltitle rough but all work great...grills for Quintets are rough..but speakers are perfect

RP-5's have no grills and cones are a bit damaged...but sound fantastic.....

So question is...can I get NOS grills and 8" woofers 

Thoughts on a pairing of these towers with RB-5, RC-3 and a RSW-12

Loved the sound of the RP-5's when I heard them.

1) NOS Grills...eesh, good luck.  You might find RF-3 grills that might work, I think they're a different height though.

2) NOS cones...Met may be able to help you there, I believe they're K-1083's.

3) That should sound fine.  The RC-3 may be a bit weak, but tuning it up on your AVR should even that out just fine.

Thanks Ibiza

Looks like the RP-5's use the same woofers as the RB-5's....K-1084's....not sure what the difference between the two are...maybe ohm?

figured that the grills would be an issue....as even finding RP-5's are rare

Hard to pass up when they are all just shoved in a corner and the lady says "Give me $100 and you can take them all" :o

Well...so much for that.....got them hooked up this weekend and they played great....for about an hour.

Amp failure on one speaker....bad rattle started coming from other sub

haven't taken the time to take it apart to see the source of rattle....for now just shoved them back into a corner of the shed.....possible refurb project down the road....:angry:

Ah my friend, that is one of the reasons I steered clear of the amplified towers.  They sound great, but there seemed to be issues with rattles, and amp replacement can be a hassle.  Still, I think you got a good deal at $100.  Have you checked if you can use them passive, or was that not possible?

• Like 1

I've owned Klipsch amplified speakers (5 pair) for over 15 years. I have never heard a rattle in any of them. Amps wear out, such as those in stand alone subwoofers, AVR's and power amplifiers. You could check with Edwards Electronics in Mesa AZ for a repair estimate, or someone locally. Removing the amp is as simple as turning a screwdriver.

Check screws and connections on the 12" sub. You may be able to have it repaired (Simply Speakers) or replace (E-Blay).

Good luck.

• Like 1

Yeah...they work fine as passive speakers... sound similar to my RB-5s

Looks like I could have amps refurbished local for about $250 (go ahead and have them check both)...klipsch support validated that replacement woofers from RB75 would work ($60 each from online speaker shop)....so $370 and some elbow grease at most....so probably just store them for a while and start a restore on them sometime....

Curiosity got the best of me....took 12" out to find source of rattle....turns out the front board of the cabinet has separated at the bottom...so when the bass pressure builds up it rattles the front board....nothing is wrong with speakers or subs....just the cabinet....easy fix

• 1 month later...

OK...wife was away this past weekend with the kids....so curiosity got the best of me again.

Took the plate amp out that I thought went bad just to take a look to see if anything blatant stood out that may have caused the failure. Got it under some good lighting and notice what appeared to be a cracked solder joint where the positive wire from the fuse attached to the circuit board.

Could it be this easy of a fix? Dug out the solder iron and melted the solder ensuring that it reconnected to the board....also added a bit extra for good measure. Cleaned up a few other suspect solders (mainly because...well I had it out and who doesn't enjoy flowing liquid metal around) and put it all back together.

Crossed fingers....plugged it all back in.....voila...POWER!!! We're BACK!!!

Played them all weekend without a hiccup....they sound fantastic.....temporarily put the grills from my RB-5's on them....oddly satisfying look....I'll have to get pics. Eventually will get some replacement 8" woofers to replace the wrinkled ones in them.....but for now I'll just enjoy them. Definitely will get my $100 out of them!!

• Like 1