Lepai and Dayton Amp ?

DaMuffinMan

I have two small amps and am wondering what they would sound like hooked up to my Cornwall 1.5

This is the

Topping TP10-MK4 T-Amp TA2024 Class T Mini Amplifier 15WPC

And this is the

Lepai LP-2020A 2x20W Hi-Fi Audio Stereo Power Amplifier

I know these don't compare to my Onkyo TX-8500 I am just wondering if there will be any issues hooking these up to my speakers, or if they would cause them harm.

Thanks

I have experience with both these chip sets and love Class D sound, its amazingly clear and 'alive' compared to Class AB amps. Here is what you need to watch for:

The two amps have very similar 'Class T" chips, the 2020 version has a significant actual power output level over the 2024 and the 2020 is widely considered superior. That being said, there are many versions of the Lepai 2020A amp with the older ones being inferior to the newer models with better caps etc. I would actually go with the newest Lepai 2020A+ model which is what i have powering my KG 5.5s and another for my LaScalas.

https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-2020a-tripath-class-t-hi-fi-audio-mini-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-300

The Lepai 2020A+ is a great amp but there are some drawbacks. First the tone controls are garbage so you should just leave them off. The second is the speaker binding posts are cheap and dont take larger gauge cables very well but once you get them in its not an issue. The third is the amp is ugly as sin, it literally looks like something from autozone that ended up in beat up Civic in 2004. I ended up taking the case off and spray painted it metallic grey then screwed the amp to a wooden board as a base and it looks pretty good now.

There is a break in period where the amp sounds pretty harsh but once you get past that you will fall in love with the sound. It runs on 12v so you can hook them up to any 12v battery as well. As for hurting the speakers, the distortion can get bad at really high levels but you have to really crank it to get to that point.

All in all its $30 for surprisingly great audio quality that goes well with the high efficiency Klipsch speakers. I actually prefer my Lepai 2020A+ easily over my older Denon receiver and just use the receiver as the Pre-amp and processor.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:30 PM, russ69 said:

A lot of value for the price but they are at the bottom of the food chain. They lack a certain amount of fullness and power. 

That was also my impression after trying a small Dayton class D amp with many Klipsch models.

These offer more power, connectivity, and a remote :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SA-XR57-Receiver-with-Remote-Excellent-Condition-/272448700645?hash=item3f6f3540e5:g:bqEAAOSwHMJYKPqR

Don't let the brand name or 'home theater receiver' affect your decision.  These sound very clean and are an excellent two channel option, in my opinion.  This one is higher in price.  If you're willing to wait they can be had for $125 shipped.

On 11/16/2016 at 6:39 PM, Rivernuggets said:

That was also my impression after trying a small Dayton class D amp with many Klipsch models.

These offer more power, connectivity, and a remote :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SA-XR57-Receiver-with-Remote-Excellent-Condition-/272448700645?hash=item3f6f3540e5:g:bqEAAOSwHMJYKPqR

Don't let the brand name or 'home theater receiver' affect your decision.  These sound very clean and are an excellent two channel option, in my opinion.  This one is higher in price.  If you're willing to wait they can be had for $125 shipped.

I already have more amps than storage space. I'm going to cure that soon...bigger house should do it, lol. 

• Like 1