Warm amp for my RF-3

Marios

Hello everyone,

My name is Mario and recently I have acquired pair of mint condition RF-3 speakers, that I'm very happy with. I choose these because my living room is quite large and I love their detailed sound.

So now I would like to upgrade my amp and I could use some advice on which one to chose.

What I'm after is a very warm sounding amp with smooth mid highs to temper a bit of the in your face mid and highs of the RF-3's. My research led me to brands like Marantz, Denon or NAD.

At the moment there is a nice Marantz PM78 or a Denon PMA985R up for grabs locally at a very reasonable price.

But, I really like the look of vintage receivers, and there is an audio repair man I've met who is selling a Marantz 2226 and a Marantz SR2000, fully refurbished, also reasonably priced.

What would you recommend me to buy? The efficient 90s amp or the less powerfull but beautiful vintage receiver, considering I'm after warm sound, mellow mid highs, but still tight dynamics?

Or look further for maybe a suited NAD?

Any advice is appreciated. My budget is 200 euros, which is why I'm going second hand.

Denon PMA 980R.jpg

Marantz 2226.jpg

Marantz PM-78.jpg

Marantz SR 2000 1.jpg

• Like 1

Marios,

Welcome to the forum.

For quite some time, I used a Denon PMA-1080R integrated which is the one step up model to the 980R and it sounded wonderful with my fortes and Quartets.  It provided a very punchy low end with a dead neutral midrange and very detailed highs.  I never used it with my Reference speakers so I can't say how well they would match.  The 70's Marantz will be the "warmest" in the photos while the Denon will be the most neutral and balanced.  

Since you mentioned NAD, look for a used NAD C355BEE or C325BEE.  Not sure which will fit your budget but either will have plenty of grunt to drive the RF-3's.

Bill

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marios said:

Thank you for the replies so far. 

Bill, a new option has come up: NAD C372 for 180 euros, optical condition is fair, but the seller claims perfect technical condition. I've read some remarks about NAD reliability, is this something to worry about?

First, that price is very good for a pretty powerful amp.

As far as reliability, I own and have owned 7 pieces of NAD gear and none of them has ever had any significant problems.  As a matter of fact, only one piece had a minor problem that seemed to fix itself.

Bill

Bill, I passed up on the C372, nice price but just a little too beat up with scuffs, faded lettering and so on. Seller claimed good technical state but I just wonder how stuff gets so beat up, my 25 year old budget amp still looks pristine.

Bit of a luxery problem right now, C350 or C320BEE, both excellent state, nearly same price, recommendations anyone?

Thanks.