Which center channel to use with RP-160M

dtdcampbell

As the title goes debating on which center channel to compliment my RP-160M. Right now I am considering the RP-440C or the P-250C since the RP-450C probably would overwhelm the left and right. For now I am primarily going to be a 3.1 setup and maybe down the road add a couple surrounds. What are your thoughts and opinions?

The sensitivity rating between the 250c, 440c and 450c is 1db, there is little difference in how loud they are at a given output.

Technically speaking the 250c matches the sensitivity of the 160s exactly...but the other 2 are only 1db behind.

So I do not foresee overwhelming the fronts. 

This is a matter of budget and preference.  I own the 250c, and am quite happy with it.  I'd be happy to change it to the 450c if I had the space.  There is a significant cost difference though and I wouldn't do it just to do it.

I would not bother with the 440c...pick from either of the others based upon budget.  I'd get the 450c if you can afford it, but if size/appearance is important, there is nothing wrong with getting the 250c.  

58 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

The sensitivity rating between the 250c, 440c and 450c is 1db, there is little difference in how loud they are at a given output.

Technically speaking the 250c matches the sensitivity of the 160s exactly...but the other 2 are only 1db behind.

So I do not foresee overwhelming the fronts. 

This is a matter of budget and preference.  I own the 250c, and am quite happy with it.  I'd be happy to change it to the 450c if I had the space.  There is a significant cost difference though and I wouldn't do it just to do it.

I would not bother with the 440c...pick from either of the others based upon budget.  I'd get the 450c if you can afford it, but if size/appearance is important, there is nothing wrong with getting the 250c.  

Thanks for the input. You have me second guessing everything now. I did send an inquiry to Klipsch and they suggested the 250c or 440c. I have the available space and would rather buy once and cry once. 

Btw this is all being driven by a Pioneer Elite SC-LX501

I keep hoping somebody would do a 5 channel system with all RP-160M's. :)  

I don't think the 450 would overwhelm the mains audibly, that's what the levels in your AVR are for, it's not set up right if it's overwhelming.  Visually though you may think differently.  I'd get the 250 and be done with it, or get a third matching 160M if you have an AT screen.  Only problem with that is that they come in pairs.  

• 7 years later...
On 11/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, Paducah Home Theater said:

I keep hoping somebody would do a 5 channel system with all RP-160M's. :)  

I don't think the 450 would overwhelm the mains audibly, that's what the levels in your AVR are for, it's not set up right if it's overwhelming.  Visually though you may think differently.  I'd get the 250 and be done with it, or get a third matching 160M if you have an AT screen.  Only problem with that is that they come in pairs.  

I know this thread is, uhm, old... but, we're close to doing this. Just having a hard time finding one single RP-160M! (And FWIW, I think this comparison will be 600M "adjacent" so it might have value for that newer RP series of bookshelf speaker.)

Our org does full 7.1 Surround projection in a variety of spaces (smaller venues.) Last year we embarked on a quest to reduce the load-in weight/size of all speakers by getting powerful bookshelf (RP-160M) replacements for our floorstanding inventory (R-28f), while investing in larger, high-fidelity subs. The RP-160Ms have a whole lot of headroom for surround positions above 80hz, and we push them with amps in the LCR positions. They've been astoundingly good. 

I'm bidding on a final pair of RP-160Ms because I can't find any "single" speaker listings up. So we'll either have an extra RP-160M once we use the other as Center; or, I'll give in and we'll buy a RP-504CC Center channel. But I want the all-one-model setup very much. Still waiting for the seller to reply on his listing for two final RP-160Ms. I'm actually not sure if I am applying my "is this seller sketchy?" filters, to this purchase. ha. (I really, really want all-160Ms, they fit *perfectly* in a Pelican 1640 case, it's like they were made for that case.)

Anyways, I'll try to reply here if we get that final speaker and complete our all-160M setup. Of course, now we have to try and find some suitable subs on a questionable "charity arts organization" subwoofer budget. But hey, subs aren't that important, are they. /s

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Yes welcome @ArtPeers 

Alot of centers by Klipsch will work. Would use the extra odd speaker for a center across the front, until you can sort it. May work beautifully.

Thanks!

Great to see a reply so quickly, thanks!

We failed today in our effort to buy a final RP-160M that would have been used at the Center Channel position. Unfortunately, the dude on Marketplace didn't reply to our messages. Which never happened before. 

Unless we see a different, affordable RP-160M listing this week... we'll go with Plan B, purchasing either RP-450C or RP-540C. Which opens up its own quagmire, as it's hard to discern whether any meaningful distinction exists between the two Center Channel models, notwithstanding some Tweeter/Horn upgrades on the 504C. However, I can't find confirmation whether this upgrade is a legit difference, or mostly branding. Otherwise the specs line up almost exactly the same.

If we do choose the 540C we'd likely go with Series I for two specific reasons: (1) price, and (2) the high-crossover freq on the Series I is the same as our RP-160Ms across all surround positions. I want speakers in all positions to have the fewest variations possible, to create one, big unified soundstage. 

But for the life of me I can't find a solid declaration by users testing both 450C and 504C... confirming firsthand that (they find) the 504C sounds better than the 450C. In fact, a review by Erin shows some 2k freqs are higher db (in a bad way) than the rest of the upward curve, when testing. In other words, if Klipsch "fixed" the Tweeter/Horn with the 504C, that implies the 450C Tweeter/Horn needed improvement (which I don't know to be true either way.) And did the 504C "fix" the "problem"? I don't know. 

In the end, we'll probably gruffly say, "We're not spending more than we need to, we're getting the 450C!" And then we'll totally get the 504C. The Matrix has us. Me, at least.

• Like 1

Wow, you say we and have done some decent research.

I would say, good  progress.

While waiting, I would look in our archive, using the search 

engine.

Guess you are doing home theater, movies and music.

And yes, you will want a subwoofer, either way.

How big is your listening room?

Thanks!

On 2/11/2024 at 10:14 AM, billybob said:

Wow, you say we and have done some decent research.

I would say, good  progress.

While waiting, I would look in our archive, using the search 

engine.

Guess you are doing home theater, movies and music.

And yes, you will want a subwoofer, either way.

How big is your listening room?

Thanks!

Well the listening room changes depending where we setup. We do projection of film/video content for events, often in different spaces every time. Which makes our design process unique and challenging. We've always designed our kits based around 'highest common denominator' or average size of room/audience. And certainly, the RP-160Ms are sometimes on the smaller end of what the square footage would require. But it's a punchy, sensitive speaker and we push the full RMS it's rated for, so the results are often better than you might imagine. Especially with the right subwoofer combo. 

Right now we are planning on ultimately using two 15" subs, although one 18" or 21" ported cabinet could potentially fit the bill. 

Our NPO requested an in-kind contribution from Klipsch (they have a program for that). This would put us into the more appropriate universe of two RP-1600SW (subs) and a RC-64III Center Channel, which would cover almost any size room our organization has worked in so far. 

Assuming we do not get approved for the contribution program with Klipsch, we'll order a RP-450C Center Channel speaker, and a SPL-150 sub now, with another at the end of the year (after fundraising more.) It's just a matter of someone confirming the RP-450C is, in fact, almost entirely similar to the RP-504C (Series I) upgrade model. It appears they are the same, aside from a minor tweeter redesign. Neither of the RP Centers is as capable as the RC-64III, just as two SPL-150 subs aren't in the same ballpark as the RP-1600 subs. But they all seem like pretty great options. We're planning to order the Center this week yet, unless we hear back from Klipsch about our application.

• Like 1

I have a fairly good imagination.

Which do think you have by the choices you are making.

Thanks for a little more information. Without knowing more, can only go with your suggestions. Feel you are on the correct path. The door is still open for others here more familiar with those products to weigh in, and get specific. Hoping whoever at Klipsch you are wanting to hear from does not delay.

For other opportunities, there is this forum to answer/deliver a response, apart from Klipsch proper. Good fortune @ArtPeers

I have had many different center channel speakers from Klipsch.  As far has the sound, I don't worry about having the exact series speakers.  I do try to keep speaker from the same line.  With the avr, I can make an RC 62, RC 62 II and the third generation pretty much sound the same.  The big money in the avr is for room/speaker EQ.

All the talk about timber matching is overblow IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have had many different center channel speakers from Klipsch.  As far has the sound, I don't worry about having the exact series speakers.  I do try to keep speaker from the same line.  With the avr, I can make an RC 62, RC 62 II and the third generation pretty much sound the same.  The big money in the avr is for room/speaker EQ.

All the talk about timber matching is overblow IMHO.

Thank you for this info. I agree, there's too much absolutism in certain threads, about exact model/timbre match between positions. We nearly purchased non-Klipsch speakers for our LCR positions. (Our surrounds are all RP-160M.) Then a pair of RP-160Ms went up for sale locally, for a steal. Still almost bought a non-Klipsch Center, but then Accessories4Less had the RP-450C listed for $249. At that point we decided to go all-RP speakers for our Dolby surrounds and LCR. 

So it just sort of happened. And we will buy a Klipsch sub, as well, if the company doesn't approve the contribution request from our organization. At this point it just seems like "why not" with regard to an entirely Klipsch kit. I honestly love the way they sound with films. But I know it's not for everyone. I just think they're punchy and lively, and sometimes that's fun with movies.

I'd also admit something else that factored into this decision to go all-Klipsch: all the grumpy old men on certain AV forums who trash-talk Klipsch all the time. Because they think it's easy cred to crap on a brand that a lot of "regular consumers" have in their homes. This is my third presentation-cinema build, and I designed a couple of our PA/music kits before that. None of which had any Klipsch components. I've used lots of speaker brands and they all have their strong points. I freaking love Klipsch for movies and the bigger the better. Especially looking forward to a big Klipsch sub whenever we can afford to order one. The snobbery about this brand makes me want to order more. 

Back to the point, I wasn't really looking to the RP-450C to be a perfect 'match' to the RP-160Ms (although I think it will do great.) I mainly wanted a center that could output the volume levels needed to stand out from the other positions. Both the 504C and 450C seem capable of hitting those marks and they're a good match for our AMPS. And since the 450C is $120 less than the 504C with apparently no compelling difference between them... that's an easy choice. Ordering it tomorrow. 

• Like 1