2.1 College Dorm setup

Ryan

Hello,

I am looking at getting two floor standing speakers to create a 2.1 setup with my R-10sw. I was looking at two r-26f speakers which I can get off eBay for around 400 all up, are there any better options out there/is 400 a good price? I really like the look of the copper woofers so I would really like speakers with those.

Thanks

Hello,

I am looking at getting two floor standing speakers to create a 2.1 setup with my R-10sw. I was looking at two r-26f speakers which I can get off eBay for around 400 all up, are there any better options out there/is 400 a good price? I really like the look of the copper woofers so I would really like speakers with those.

Thanks

If you can go used, look for rf5s or if your lucky even rf7s. Not saying the r-26fs aren't any good, i think the rf5s are a great speaker.

You're going to look for any model that starts with "RF".

The dual 6.5" models are(oldest to newest):

RF-25

RF-62

RF-62ii

All with roughly equal performance

The dual 8" models are(oldest to newest):

RF-3

RF-3ii

RF-5

RF-35

RF-82

RF-82ii

Again, all being equal with the exception of the superior RF-5.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

So there is a pair of RF-3 ii in my area for $250, do you think this is a good deal?

Absolutely. That's a very fair price if they're in good condition. Look for wrinkled woofers and listen from the middle position to make sure both speakers are the same volume. 

Remember, you get what you pay for.  If you're sold on Bluetooth:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr353/onkyo-tx-sr353-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

This would be better.

Otherwise, I have an HK AVR354 that I'm selling for $200 shipped.  It'd provide you some solid clean power, but there's no Bluetooth.  Still, you could use an AUX cable.

Yeah I would really like Bluetooth just because of the dorm setup, also 4k pass through would be really good so the onkyo has that covered. I am open to suggestions if there is something around say 300 if it is going to give me a noticeable difference or a better/easier setup process to get it all sounding good. 

Thanks again for all of your help.

So obviously I don't know too much about this stuff but I thought this one looked pretty good, 

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs700w/denon-avr-s700w-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

I just filtered for onkyo and denon with Bluetooth under 300, there are a couple more around the price point too.