How good should my cables be?

jwadd21

See my system below...

I want good CD sound, and I want pretty good DVD sound. In other words, I think it would make sense to spend a little more on the RCA cables than an optical digital cable for the DVD player. How good of cables should I buy? Also, I have a monster Y connecter, pretty good .5meter monster cable and gold plated radio shack 1/4" adapters to connect the sub to the receiver. I use decently sized monster speaker cable to all my speakers.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

jwadd

Interconnects make a difference. You don't want the cheap ones you get with your CD player for example. Where to draw the line.... Depends on budget and your components. People can spend literally a forturne on cables.

In my new HT (check it out in the odds and mods) and I have pretty good components, I used Cobalt cable. Check there web site http://www.cobaltcable.com

About the same price as monster, but better quality.

JM

Cables for a CD player are no different than for any other analog source. In my experience the cheap ones shipped with the unit usually work just fine for a run of a meter or two. Capacitance becomes an issue on longer runs. Then you might want to go with something different. Electrical noise can sometimes be a problem. Then it might pay to use a cable composed of two wires and a shield, with the shield grounded on one end, usually the source end.

IMHO cheap optical cables work just fine most of the time. What you get with many of the more expensive ones are things link a prettier or more robust jacket, etc. There are some expensive ones that use glass fiber instead of plastic that are technically better. But I doubt you will hear a difference in sound.

Malcom,

There are certainly some cheap cables that are worth investigating. Cheap to me is $40 for a 1 meter patchcord; $ 100 for a pair of speaker wire.

The throw in patchcords that come in the box of a source component are of very poor quality unless you buy a Linn CD player.

A rule of thumb that certainly can be disputed is to spend 10 -15 % of total system cost on patchcords and speaker cables.

Spending less will most certainly inhibit the full performance of your components.

If your question is "what is the difference between cheap and expensive cable" then cheap cable is a lower gauge (thinner) and has less insulation so it is more likely to let in interference.

For example, when I was using Monster XP cable, my cell phone was constantly causing interference and a noise would play through my speakers. As soon as I got my MIT Terminator 2 speaker cables the interference went away. Now I only pick up the interference on the cheap speaker cable I use on my computer speakers.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

Depends what your system sounds like now and what you.

I was using DYI Superlatives IC with my Rega. Sounded great.

My Rega died. I had to put my old Onkyo back into service. It sounded so harsh. I changed the Superlatives out with a pair of Straight Wire Rhapsody II. The sytem sounded really good.

I got my Rega back Saturday. I hooked it up using the Straight Wire's and the system sounded good, but not great. I changed the Straight Wire's back out with the Superlatives and now my system sounds great. High's are so clean. Good strong bass.

All this is great for me, but you are going to have to decide what you want it to sound like.

If you can solder then try the DIY. They will send out the sound exactly as your cd player is sending it to your preamp. 1M cost's about $70. The Straight Wire Rhapsody cost $150. If you think that your system is harsh then these will pad the sound down a little which may give you the sound you want.

Try Audioquest.

Look at FatWyre. I think they will let you try them before you buy.

To answer your question buy the best IC's that you can afford.

Good Luck

Danny