Help with Atmos setup

nxtstep

Hey everyone....so I have a little problem that I'm trying to find out if I can get atmos to work with my current setup or if ill be spending money for nothing..Here is my current setup and also going to attach images of the layout so I can get some kind of help.... please disregard the mess have people over from out of the country...lol

Denon x4300h, RB81-ii all around....center is the matching set not the tiny one..cant recall the model. I was thinking if I can add the RP140-SA on top of the speakers since the wife would kill me if I mount anything on the ceiling or walls.... they would sit at about 46-52" from ground up...again sorry for the trouble just trying to decide to buy these or not....I been hearing the front will work but the backs won't so kinda torn about getting just a 5.1.2 going rather than 5.1.4

ceiling is at 9'....sitting about 12-14 ft away from tv...

thanks in advance for taking a look..any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 10.33.57 PM.jpg

Nxtstep,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about Atmos but could you rotate your gear 1/4 turn and place the TV/LCR between the windows and float your main seating couch on the dining room end of family room.  This way will offer a better balance visually and audibly.

Just a thought.:unsure:

Beautiful room by the way.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willland said:

Nxtstep,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about Atmos but could you rotate your gear 1/4 turn and place the TV/LCR between the windows and float your main seating couch on the dining room end of family room.  This way will offer a better balance visually and audibly.

Just a thought.:unsure:

Beautiful room by the way.

Bill

Hey Bill. Thanks for the idea. I ran that already with the wifey and she asked me if i have a death wish. Hahaha but of course in a nice way. 

Well u think if i do a 5.1.2 it is worth doing or i ahould pass ans stick to just having 5.1???? I do want at least a tiny bit better sound. If i do ceilings will it work? Might need to somehow but have 2nd floor so needs to be compact speakers and need to redo the walls so it looks original. 

also wanted to ask if anyone would think this would work...i was thinking if if if i can convince wife to let me get a small bose speaker for the atmos....has anyone tried that and if i put them up against the rear wall? than the front 2 i can have the klipsch rp140sa and rears mounted a bit higher and against the wall.... or would you just do a 5.1.2....and if i do the 5.1.2 am i going to really hear it and enjoy the effects or again just stay with 5.1??

I have never heard an Atmos setup so take what I say with a grain of salt.  My 5.1(+3 more subs) setup sounds really great in my room to the point that I "feel" that Atmos will not gain me much as far as experience goes.  If I was to hear a properly setup Atmos system in a similar room I probably would change my mind.  What I don't know won't hurt me.

With that said, buy a pair of the RP-140SAs and give them a whirl.  I am sure wherever you buy them they will have a return policy.  

Just don't add those little cubes.:o

Bill

I heard a little bit of Atmos at a showroom last year. As far as I could tell, I think the technology has some potential but I think there is more hype than it is worth. 

The least impressive upgrade I have ever done in this hobby was go from 5.1 to 7.1. Two additional rear surround channels were a very small improvement for me and I am suspect of Atmos / DTS:X right off the bat because of it. 

I totally agree with rotating that setup 90° counterclockwise. Just do it. Tell the wife you just want to check it out for a few days and you'll move it back. I went through the same thing. My wife said she wishes I would have rotated everything years ago. It will be 10x as immersive that way. 

I'm running a 7.1.4 atmos setup with the rp-140s and I love it. It's not a huge difference, but when a movie had been setup to use it very well, it's awesome. If you like pink Floyd, check out Roger Waters: the wall on Blu-ray, the atmos is incredible! 

From looking at the room, the OP will not get much benefit from an Atmos setup.  For the most degrees of freedom when setting up an Atmos system, in-ceiling speaker will be a big plus.  They allow for proper positioning to the listener.  A good 5.1, ect. is still  excellent in smaller rooms and living rooms.

hey all...thanks for the input...I think I'm gonna get the fronts only and mess with it and just do a 5.1.2 setup at least for now...the 5.1 sounds really good right now..yes I'm sure I can always have it improve but anything always can....I also just bought the AURO 3D from denon so I think id enjoy that once in a while too. I was listening to a few samples but of course in 5.1 so they just had a demo of turning it on and off hearing the differences.

the reason we can't switch the room around since the main house door will be between the living room and dining area...well has a small hallway but that goes to the guest room too. so kind of stuck having it how its setup now....guess I need to convince her to moving into a 5 or 6 bedroom so I can take over 1 of the rooms...or just throwout the guest room and make that to my mini theater..lol

so the speaker I have in mind of course is klipsch rp140-sa....if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know...I heard onkyo is really a waste of time and money but what about the pioneer ones? or anything else worth looking at?

going to try to pick it up this weekend from somewhere..... and yes I will check out Roger Waters...I got Magnificent 7 as well which sounded amazing on the 5.1...also a few other movies to test too.

thank you all again...ill try to keep you posted soon.

Hey all. So i got 4 rp140 speakers. Im running on denon x4300h but not sure if i did this right or not. 

If i hook them up as heights in amp assign i can uae atmos and auro 3d. If i go and change it to dolby speakers it only lets me use atmos. Not sure how i should set this up. Tried to listen to both and i think auro 3d does it better. Any help is appreciated.