Speaker break in

Gandalf007

Speakers absolutely need break in time. Subwoofers and woofers take the longest time to break in, mids and tweeters break in rather quickly.

Many studies have shown the differences are not only audible but measurable as T/S parameters change during the process.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it's interesting how "vague" Klipsch's stance on this issue is in this page - http://www.klipsch.com/education/how-to-break-in-speakers

Many audio experts and speaker manufacturers say that loudspeakers really benefit from break-in. Like anything else mechanical, the drivers—the midrange and woofers—found in almost all speakers have moving parts that move more freely with time, or effort. Two components may particularly benefit from a break-in period: The surround, which can be made of various types of rubber or foam, is what connects the edge of the cone to the speaker basket, and the spider, which connects the basket and the center of the cone. 

Both surrounds and spiders are flexible; therefore, allowing them to experience their full range of motion and loosen up results in freer movement and better response. Think of it like stretching before you exercise. There are several simple ways to break a speaker in; while you could choose to buy costly gear to do so, it really isn’t required.

The easiest—and most enjoyable—way is to simply play them, choosing music with a wide dynamic range. Playing it just a bit louder than you normally might also help. Many receivers have a test tone that can accomplish the same goal; test signals are also commercially available.

A small warning here: not all speakers will sound dramatically different after break-in. Some improve only marginally, while others do change in ways that may dazzle you. Either way, it’s possible that you’ll notice an improvement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jason str said:

Speakers absolutely need break in time. Subwoofers and woofers take the longest time to break in, mids and tweeters break in rather quickly.

Many studies have shown the differences are not only audible but measurable as T/S parameters change during the process.

Yep, totally believe in break-in.

All of us at one time or another have touched "Pushed " a finger on a speaker, some stiff as hell some soft and mushy.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, minermark said:

All of us at one time or another have touched "Pushed " a finger on a speaker, some stiff as hell some soft and mushy.

But the question was did your speakers sound any different?  You are describing how they feel after break in.   :D

• Like 1

Just now, Youthman said:

But the question was did your speakers sound any different?  You are describing how they feel after break in.   :D

Youth, i reguard you as one of the experts around these parts.

And i will give you an... "In Fact" anser to your question.......No

In theory, and just pushing on a "New" one compair to a 20 year old speaker that is softer to the touch, well you just need to figure everything wears out or gets loose over time.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, minermark said:

Youth, i reguard you as one of the experts around these parts.

I appreciate the compliment but I am FAR from anything close to being an expert.  I've never considered myself anything near an "Audiophile".  I just love audio, video, home theater etc. 

5 minutes ago, minermark said:

And i will give you an... "In Fact" anser to your question.......No

I appreciate your honesty.  I answered the OP's question based on my personal experience.  I am a little bit confused as you are agreeing with Jason but you've never heard break-in yourself? 

6 minutes ago, minermark said:

In theory, and just pushing on a "New" one compair to a 20 year old speaker that is softer to the touch, well you just need to figure everything wears out or gets loose over time.

To me, "wears out" wouldn't cause a speaker to sound better over time.  I'm not saying there isn't a physical change that occurs over time, I'm going back to the OP's original question.  Can you hear that change?  Maybe some people can, I just haven't myself.

• Like 1

Most everything i buy is "Lightly Used", but they are used, driven hard before i get them, judging on where/who i pick them up from you can kind of get an idea if they were next to an old folks home, id say they have had a mellow life up to that point.

My McM and EAW stacks, id say they are "Broke-in" due to movie theater usage.

Just now, Youthman said:

I appreciate the compliment but I am FAR from anything close to being an expert.  I've never considered myself anything near an "Audiophile".  I just love audio, video, home theater etc. 

I appreciate your honesty.  I answered the OP's question based on my personal experience.  I am a little bit confused as you are agreeing with Jason but you've never heard break-in yourself? 

To me, "wears out" wouldn't cause a speaker to sound better over time.  I'm not saying there isn't a physical change that occurs over time, I'm going back to the OP's original question.  Can you hear that change?  Maybe some people can, I just haven't myself.

Nope, i just believe in it.

I know iv likely heard it one time or another, im no expert in sound.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, jason str said:

Depends on the driver, subwoofers can take weeks to fully break in.

Again, not trying to play devil's advocate here, just curious of your experience.  How does a sub sound different?  What do your ears hear?  Are you able to remember what the sub sounds like a few weeks ago compared to what it sounds like a few weeks later? 

I have no desire to try and persuade anyone to one side of the fence or the other.  I just think it's an interesting topic to discuss and I totally respect anyone's opinion on the matter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Youthman said:

i agree, wore out is likely easier to figure out.