Blue collar speakers

mr clean

I think  alot of the Klipschs fan base is older people that could not afford Klipsch speakers when they were younger. Some aren't  I know but I for one always wanted a pair. Some may be tired of heaing me wine but I can't take the full attack of Kllipsch highs! Im sure you also know I've toned them down abit using the tissue over the tweeter. I put this in a post but want Klipsch to see this. With the older guys working in factories time  has taken a toll on our ears and rooms are not perfect either. Why can't we get speakers from the factory with L pads added to tone the super highs down abit for some of the 60s and 70s generation vrs having to get mods done to calm them down abit? Have it adjustable so younger folks can run them full tilt and us that need a fuzz less can crank them down little and still enjoy the Klipsch sound.Others need to tell me if I'm out of line or if they agree. I see lots of mods to tame them so that is a clue! Am I nut or is this a reasonable question?

Mr. Paul didn't include driver level controls because he thought most people would screw up the sound he worked to get.  You seem to disagree. 

Which speakers have you found to be excessively bright?  How old were they?  What room?  Usually the room is the problem; it is too reflective.  Another issue is room placement.  Most Klipsch are intended to be placed in a corner, or at least against a wall on the floor.  Finally, modern recordings often are actually pretty poor in terms of balance and excess compression to make them exciting or attention getting.  What are you listening to?  Try a DVD-Audio disc of mostly acoustic instruments. 

My La Scalas have Type AA crossovers that contour and slightly attenuate the tweeter's response so that is it pretty flat to about 15k and well balanced with the squawker and woofer.  I find the Type AA and Type AL-4 la Scalas to be particularly pleasing and similar. 

• Like 2

A bad room can make them unbearable.  Absorb those first reflections.  My room required pulling the speakers out 3 feet or so to get the image right but still has decent bass and a pretty even response... still needs tweaking though.   I have a living room that is shaped like a cube except for a vaulted ceiling where it is very difficult to get good sound.  It can be very harsh and use of tone controls is a must.  No critical listening in there for sure.  Same speakers different room different sound.