Cheap room treatments

W27

The audible hearing range is 20 Hz to 20 kHz.  The sound wave at 20 Hz is around 17 meters and 17 mm at 20 kHz.  Panels 2 in. thick will work to around 1700 Hz.  The 2 in. thick panels work to cut down reverb in the room.  Rugs, drapes, soft furniture, pillows etc. can be used for this purpose.  Panels need to get very thick going down from 1700 Hz.   For boomy rooms, large bass traps can be used.

There's a ton of similar panels with hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon and other sites. Mostly the only negative reviews are people thinking that they could soundproof their room by hanging a few panels lol. If drapes work, these have to help. Covering any hard surfaces, especially corners should help. 

I'm going to try them behind my theater speakers. I'm not putting anything where it will really be seen. I've got some carpet squares with rubber bottoms back there now. They can't hurt. It gives me something to tinker with. Maybe placebo effect will make me think my system is better;) 

3 hours ago, thebes said:

Double them up?

This is the right track and would get you 2 in. of thickness.  For about $15, you can buy a roll of R30 insulation and make your own panels.  I started out with 2X3 ft. panel that were 2 in. thick and then went to 4 in. thick.  I went to Homedepot and brought some wood(they cut the pieces) and glued the pieces (2 X 4 ft.), laid the R30 and covered the panels with fabric from JoAnn's fabric.

DSCN2454.JPG

DSCN2456.JPG